advertisement

How to change socks on an ESL63? Help appreciated

ellamoo

pfm Member
Hi - just wondered whether anyone has done this, and if so could they be kind enough to post instructions? Thanks! :)

You have to separate the speaker from its base by enough to remove and replace the sock. This involves undoing the nuts inside the base (I think a 7mm nut driver?). You may get away without detaching the EHT and signal wires from the delay lines. The delay lines remain with the panel structure.

The Quad service manual is floating round the internet in a variety of forms, definitely worth scanning before commencing.

Paul

Indeed, as above.
Remove the plastic bottoms on the feet (sharp flat thing to wedge them off).
Then unscrew the screw inside them. This removes the bottom panel so you can undo the bolts around the base (some are under boards which will need unscrewing).

You may get away with doing it without unsoldering the wires but i had to unsolder mine. Just remember where they go and you will be fine.
Oh and once removed slide the new sock on and pull it up gently so it does not snag. Then put the base back on but not the top.
Once the speaker is standing up pull the sock up as much as possible to get a good even tension then cut off excess and put the top panel back on (to remove the top panel tap it to the right while looking at the speaker)

advertisement

Back