advertisement

How old is your Linn Sondek LP12

my father recently passed away and i have inherited over 3000 classical records 1000 cds and numerous pieces of stereo equipment. among these is a Linn Sondek Lp 12 turntable with Linn ittok lvii arm.. i would like to list it for sale but dont understand enough about the technical details and specs to do so.. any help would be appreciated! thank you :) i have pictures if that helps

Nobody else has replied so I'll help if I can. The arm is worth £350-450, the deck without it £300-400. This assumes the then-standard power supply, the Valhalla. This is inside the plinth and is a simple push switch for on-off, I think with a red LED. Earlier power supplies had a rocker switch, later ones came in separate boxes. Later ones are more expensive again.

Obviously the value varies with condition and finish, black is out of fashion now and £50 cheaper than afromosia or walnut which were very popular, and indeed still are. If it's rosewood, congratulations, that's rare and desirable. A period cartridge (needle assembly) may be desirable depending on what it is. A Linn Troika cartridge is still sought after, the K series less so and the Asak less again.

LP12s sell well on here, they are a nice item. I've sold a reasonable example of what you have for a shade under £700, I think. They fetch more in pieces.

Hello,

In place of my Systemdek, I've just found an old 1983 LP12 with Ittok LVII never used since 1988. No upgrade since 1984, just Valhala in 1988.

Mine's 32 years old (bought in the summer of 1980).
It originally had a rega arm, taken off my Planar 2, then a mission 774 and finally an Ittok LVIII. It was upgraded to a Valhalla 20 years ago and also had a new bearing fitted at the same time.
A couple of weeks ago I had a Mk1 Lingo fitted as well as a Benz Micro Ace SL cartridge. It brings on a great big cheesy grin every time I play something.

Linn Sondek LP12 fitted with a Linn Akito(japanese arm) and a Linn K9 cartridge the serial number of this product is 090158 .MESSAGE = Dear sirs i have been given a Linn Sondek LP12 fitted with a Linn Akito(japanese arm) and a Linn K9 cartridge the serial number of this product is 090158 and it says Agnes Munroe next to it.I would like to know when it was made and its exact spec and also what its value would be now, it appears to be in excellent condition though there is no manual and it is in its origional box many thanks in advance Michael

I am looking to sell this and would app some guidance on price etc
Cheers
Michael

was manufactured in January 1993

In review33, an Hong Kong Forum, there has been a No.19 shows up. The owner also shows the Serial Plate and the internal as well.

I think this one is hard to beat.

That one does take the record, at least out of those I've seen.

#22 Was offered for sale on a Canadian classified site a couple of years ago, and as I reported earlier in the thread, #34 was on Ebay in the USA a while back.

Someone told me that LP12s before #100 are really leftover Ariston RD11s from after Hamish Robertson had sold Ariston. Unfortunately those pics of #19 don't show the motor pulley and belt so we can't see if they're the Ariston version.

I now own LP12 #11###, from late 75/early 76, plus a couple of post Robertson Ariston RD11. Still looking for a two switch model!

Mine is a 1983, had it since new, originally with Valhalla, Ittok LVX, updated with a Ittok LV-II, then a Cirkus, then a DIY Armageddon, then a ARO, then a Greenstreet chassis and finally a Trampolin II, oh and DIY plinth corner braces.

Still running as sweet as ever.

I'm working on a very early one at the moment, Hadcock arm, smoked lid, red power switch.
No serial # anywhere, I removed the base, then the wildlife and their webs. The springs and bushes have never been touched and required very little adjustment to get back the bounce. New belt, didn't have to adjust the pully, runs like a charm.:)
Errol.

1978 model for me. As with Errols, nothing ever touched, adjusted the springs and all fine. Only problem is the Akito I bought, which turned out to have the sticky bearing problem.

February 1981, bought with an Ittok LVII, Asak, Meridian 101 and Active M2s from Spaldings in Croydon; my first real hi-fi and it cost a staggering £1900.

LP 12 serial number in the 032xxx range. It still has the original plinth, smoked lid, platter and top plate.

Mick

Got mine from spaldings too! Mine cost a lot less as it was second hand then! My first hifi was from them too. rega planar 3 and mission 70 mk 2 to go with a big old Japanese amp. All from my first wage packet. Thank hifi for living with da and ma!

Keep Listening :cool:

M

The first one I brought was a 1994 spec with Valhalla, ittok and cirkussed. I had a FREE 1976 model with original psu and an sme 3009 arm. The arm was toast but the deck was great, I stuck a nima on it, my mate still uses it and it's a brilliant deck. My current one was new in 2007 though the arm is from around 2000 and the psu 2005.

Bought mine from Billy Vee in 1978 and the only part left from my original deck is the outer platter. I've been through 3 plinths 3 sub platters with new bearings, original mains pcb to Valhalla to Lingo mk1 to Armeggedon. Arms, SME 3009 with Shure V15 mk111, then Hadcock with Decca London, Grace with Supex 900E, 3 X Ittoks first 2 developed faulty bearings, fitted with Asak, the Asak "T", then 2 x Karma's, then fitted Aro arm, firstly with Dynavector DV 20 LV. Presently fitted with Micro Benz Wood SL a delightful cartridge. LP12 has had the usual upgrades Nivrana, Cirkus and Khan top plate.

Regards,

Martin

My current deck is lp12, s/n 17,xxx dating from Jan 1977.
Originally large red push switch, with capacitor phase shift psu - caps dated july 1976 - long hot summer!! Had originally SME series 2 arm, smoked lid with lid prop and aluminium front edge. Bought here from fellow pfm this year. Even had original box and packing - timewarp condition.

Now sounding superb with ittock arm, audio tech ac09, hercules psu and new suspension spings, etc, after full service and rebuild.

Mine is 001213 which i believe is from 1973/4. I've only had it a few years though.

Black ash, non-fluted and updated with Ittock LVII and Mose.

Kevin

1993 with an Ittok LVIII. Possibly the worst deck ever made (if you listen to the intelligentsia on the internet), but I adore it and will never let it go.

hinges are two years old (and probably need replacing)

subchassis is three years old

top plate and crossbrace are one year old

motor is two years old

plinth and lid are twelve years old

base board and phono stage are two years old

power supply in motor controller is 18 months old

arm is ten years old (bearings in arm are two years old)

cartridge is five years old

advertisement

Back