advertisement

How old is your Linn Sondek LP12

Mine's a 1990 which has been cirkused, new armboard to change from an Akito mk1 to Aro, new base board and valhalla changed. Only the plinth, top plate, motor and outer platter remain really. I think about changing it every couple of years or so but even if I find something that sounds better (only happened the once), I just don't enjoy using it as much. Hence it's still here and I'm beginning to think that it'll be with me forever. Marvellous thing. Even the wife thinks it looks nice, too!

My first one was bought direct from Ivor at a big discount around 1983. Sold in 1985 after a house move. The one I have now is even older, not even a Valhalla.

Need to check as mine is sitting in a drawer at the moment but I think it is late 78 early 79. Possibly earlier.

Originally Posted by Mick Seymour
February 1981, bought with an Ittok LVII, Asak, Meridian 101 and Active M2s from Spaldings in Croydon; my first real hi-fi and it cost a staggering £1900.

and you could sell it on eBay for more than that now... I suspect that would make for a pretty impressive system even today.

The Ittok and Meridian 101 did go that way. The Asak and M2s died. Still have the LP12 in constant use, though like others there's not much of the original left.

LP12 92,7xx by Laura Smith from July 1995.

Outer Platter and Lid still original.

While I have a 2005 Lingo (2), my 33/45/off switch is from my original 1991 second hand Lingo.

I have my original 1979 22797 with a Mission 774 arm and Supex 901. Plus my regular 1993 with Lingo, Aro and Lydian Lyra.

Although the early deck and arm is probably part-ex for upgrades to the newer one

Bought one of the earliest ones in 1974 or 75 from a shop in Guildford. Gave it to my brother a few years later and he sold it :rolleyes:

my father recently passed away and i have inherited over 3000 classical records 1000 cds and numerous pieces of stereo equipment. among these is a Linn Sondek Lp 12 turntable with Linn ittok lvii arm.. i would like to list it for sale but dont understand enough about the technical details and specs to do so.. any help would be appreciated! thank you :) i have pictures if that helps

Have you considered keeping it? It's likely to be one of those thing that you may regret selling in years to come.

My LP12 dates from 12 march 1988, t'was a birthday present, reason why I remember the exact date
it was valhalla/ittok equiped, IIRC (don't remember the cart)
the LP12 has been updated with lingo, Ekos, Linto, troika, cirkus, and sole (so not a true LP12 anymore ;-) )

I bought two in 1982 (the first one was nicked). Afro, fluted, Nirvana / Valhalla, smoked lid, Ittok LVII on both of them. First one had a Kiseki blue cartridge, which I couldn't afford to replace. It was lovely. Second LP12 (clear lid) originally had an Asak (a shagging awful piece of kit), then a Troika, now has a Klyde. It's still as original as the day I bought it, although it could do with a new motor.

I've had a couple of LP12s but I kept my first one. It's late 70s but I can't find the serial number. I removed the serial number sticker from the original afromosia plinth when I put it all into a Henk oversize plinth and put it away for safe keeping :( Mods include OL dc motor, glued subchassis, black springs and new grommets etc and an acrylic brace instead of the poxy metal thing. I also machined and fitted a bearing strengthener as a Circus kit was beyond my means.

I have a Linn Lp12 Serial Number 0108 purchased new and fitted with an SME 3009 S2 arm, a Shure V15 III, ( replaced by a V15v xMR ) all new at the time. Apart from changing the bearing oil and the drive belt, it is as new.
It is linked to a Beogram 4000 and Kef Reference 104aB speakers ( Originally I had Mordaunt Short MS400s) It is still used two/three times a week and sounds as good now as the day I bought it.

You trump me! That's the oldest I've heard of. I had #1156 from 1973, that had a 3009 too. Nice deck, I sold it as I had dozens at the time. I would have liked to have kept it but these things are made to be used.

advertisement

Back