advertisement

How old is your Linn Sondek LP12

ohconfucius

pfm Member
In another thread, RJohan mentioned his LP12 will turn 20 in August.

So does he have the oldest working LP12 here (irrespective of spec)? If not, who dares to lay claim to that with relevant dates and serial numbers if so desired.

Please note that this should exclude LP12 #102 which is stored in your attic or in your workshop to be used as spares ;)

Mine is a Frankenstein LP12. No serial number that I can see. It has been refinished.

All parts come from different vintages. The plinth is so old that it has kick stand holes.

Alll tune up parts and motor are new.

I've just found my Nirvana upgrade receipt from 1981. The serial number sticker fell off years ago!

Simon F

Well, mine is from 1991 serial number 85XXX so I can`t claim to have the oldest here but it is part of the family and will stay for years to come.

February 1981, bought with an Ittok LVII, Asak, Meridian 101 and Active M2s from Spaldings in Croydon; my first real hi-fi and it cost a staggering £1900.

LP 12 serial number in the 032xxx range. It still has the original plinth, smoked lid, platter and top plate.

Mick

Mine's 1993. One of the first to come with Cikus as standard I believe. Originally used with Akito I from an earlier , non linn deck. Added a very late s/h Ittok LVIII around 1994-5 and a s/h Lingo I around 1997.

Hi Folks,

My LP12 is the only original item left over from my initial foray into the hi fi hi end. Bought in 1985 from Sound Org near London Bridge for the princely sum of UK400, complete with Linn Basik Plus arm and K9 kartridge. In those days 1UK pound =A$1.4, so I rounded off the deal with a Naim Nait for an extra ton.

Now the Nait has grown into a 52/6 pack and the LP12 has Lingo, Prefix, Ittok LVIII and MC Rohmann to spice things up. So things have changed, but in a fairly linear manner, I'll admit. Sounds nice now though!

Cheers, Jens

Mine's from about 1983 IIRC, & replaced a dual 505. Started off with basik arm & k9,& has since had ittok, various carts, cirkus, ekos, lingo, & now a Lyra Dorian.
Amps, spkrs, cd players,stands have all changed, & there may be better t/t's out there, but it sounds so good to me, I can't see me changing it.
matt.

Mine is an original "Washington's axe" LP12 originally from sometime in the late 80's I think (075xxx.) The only original part of it remaining is the top plate. Everything else has been changed bit by bit over the intervening years to current spec.

Mick Seymour said:
February 1981, bought with an Ittok LVII, Asak, Meridian 101 and Active M2s from Spaldings in Croydon; my first real hi-fi and it cost a staggering £1900.

LP 12 serial number in the 032xxx range. It still has the original plinth, smoked lid, platter and top plate.

Mick

Bugger. Serial No 033xxx. Bought mine second hand for GBP 250 with an Ittok and totally trashed Asak in 1995. Now a fettled Ekos 1/Lingo 1 but still no corner braces and still got the smoked lid so despised by SWMBO.

Keith

The only original bits from my 1983 Linn are the wooden plinth the stainless steel top plate smoke lid and the outer platter , so its not really a 1983 model at all.

Mine's a 52xxx, thus about 83ish I quess. It's reasonably original, save that it's been cirkused and had the valhalla board swapped over. From new it had a Basik Plus, but it now has an Ittok, which is apparently quite an early one, with a two-piece counterweight.

Mine's a 045XXX. I don't know anything about LP12s but it has an Ittok LVII, don't know about power supply or these 'cirkus' things.

Just dug out the receipt (and looked at the plate on the back) mine's serial 28xxx, bought from Unilet in Kensington on 5th August 1980, and fitted at the time with my own SME 3009 sIII + Ultimo 20B, for the princely sum of £340!

Nearly time for its twenty-sixth birthday, although there's very little (just the platter?) of that original machine in my LP12.

Mick.

Hi,

I bought mine in 1975 from Brady's in Smithdown Road, in Liverpool.

I couldn't wait for the fluted version so bought an zebrano export model.

It has been used irregularly ever since. There was no serial number on the chassis , I must check the receipt ot see if it states one.

I updated the chassis last year to a fluted afromosa and upgraded the springs, bearing, motor, etc.

I think my backup deck is about 1979 or 1980. I certainly remember getting Nirvana/Valhalla upgrades, and later replacing the Mission 774 arm with Ittok. Smoked lid with silver trim on the front, "afrormosia" [note spelling, nothing to do with 70s hairstyle!]. I'll have to look up the serial :)

advertisement

Back