advertisement

How much to usefully improve on Rega P25?

JTC

PFM Villager...
Just floating an idea. I have a Rega P25, which I bought when I basically downgraded from my previous Notts Analogue setup.

It's fitted with RB300 and AT33 PTG Anniversary cartridge, but until recently has had little use. Mainly because, with young boys, the danger of damage and lack of time to listen prevented it. So I concentrated on my streaming setup.

The boys are now old enough to leave well alone, and I'm intrigued to get back into the vinyl. Not in a major way - as I sold a good proportion of my vinyl with no regrets - but enough so that I can again enjoy the records that remain.

How much would I have to spend to usefully improve upon the P25? I could keep the arm if need be, and would definitely keep the cartridge. Phono stage is currently a Dyna P75, but could well end up being the internal one in a MyTek Brooklyn Pre/Dac, so I'd liberate a few bob from the P75 to put into the funds...

I've had LP12s in the past - fun, arguably at least as good if not a little better than the P25, but currently over-priced for the improvement (if any) you'd get. Clearaudio - a bit analytical - and the NA deck (stunning, but a bit on the big side).

In the time I've paid no heed of vinyl and turntables, surely there must be something else that applies modern tech that can blow away the old fruit boxen and the older Regas. Is the answer 'newer Regas', or something else?

thanks.

In my case it didn't cost any extra , a replinthed Lenco L75 ( using the same RB600 arm ) was a significant improvement on my P25 .

I sold the P25 for more than my Lenco cost .

I'd go with the default recommendation of a WT Simplex or Amedeus - so long as you can cope with the built from bits of string and golf ball looks!

Just floating an idea. I have a Rega P25, which I bought when I basically downgraded from my previous Notts Analogue setup.

It's fitted with RB300 and AT33 PTG Anniversary cartridge, but until recently has had little use. Mainly because, with young boys, the danger of damage and lack of time to listen prevented it. So I concentrated on my streaming setup.

The boys are now old enough to leave well alone, and I'm intrigued to get back into the vinyl. Not in a major way - as I sold a good proportion of my vinyl with no regrets - but enough so that I can again enjoy the records that remain.

How much would I have to spend to usefully improve upon the P25? I could keep the arm if need be, and would definitely keep the cartridge. Phono stage is currently a Dyna P75, but could well end up being the internal one in a MyTek Brooklyn Pre/Dac, so I'd liberate a few bob from the P75 to put into the funds...

I've had LP12s in the past - fun, arguably at least as good if not a little better than the P25, but currently over-priced for the improvement (if any) you'd get. Clearaudio - a bit analytical - and the NA deck (stunning, but a bit on the big side).

In the time I've paid no heed of vinyl and turntables, surely there must be something else that applies modern tech that can blow away the old fruit boxen and the older Regas. Is the answer 'newer Regas', or something else?

thanks.
Get rid of the Rega turntable with its totally unacceptable for me 3 feet, no longer play vinyl so no familiarity with latest turntables. If you can find one (very unlikely)best turntable is the leaf sprung Thorens 321, modern ones are very expensive.

Don't mess with a P25, other than perhaps swapping the arm. Rega turntable are designed from sound principles with a specific goal. Most turntablel are not designed, they are assembled from a myriad of competing principles at best, and resemble an accident in an acrylic factory at worst.

A property working P25 is within spitting distance of a P9, and I say that as a P25 owner and former owner of a P9 of around 5 years. As you'd expect from Rega, the decks are conceptually very close and the main differences are the increased platter mass and off-board motor controller on the P9. The former is a useful advance, the latter more questionable IME as are most of these AC drive circuits. The purpose is to feed a cleaner AC signal to the motor - all well and good, but on a belt drive, with a heavy platter and a quiet motor these benefits are often moot.

I run my P25 with a Mission 774. I wouldn't swap it back to the P9, but I might for an RP10.

just a few thoughts. i haven't tried this myself, but i've read many reports that the Groovetracer machined-alloy subplatter is a nice upgrade. Rega basically supply the same thing with their more upmarket decks, so this isn't too far off their design philosophy.

if you were to get the arm re-wired, you'd basically have the same thing as the RB600 that originally came with the deck.

since you have a P75, have you experimented with the various settings? if you haven't tried "Dr. T phono enhancer" mode, you might like it, and that's a no-cost tweak.

lastly, i know you want to keep the AT cartridge, but since you have a P75, you may wish to try a Dyna cartridge, if you haven't already. a seller on here, AV8, has a DV 20X2L for sale that would be perfect, and you could always sell it on if it doesn't do it for you. i've found that there's quite a nice synergy between Dyna carts and the Dyna phono stage -- more than the sum of its parts.

Don't mess with a P25, other than perhaps swapping the arm. Rega turntable are designed from sound principles with a specific goal. Most turntablel are not designed, they are assembled from a myriad of competing principles at best, and resemble an accident in an acrylic factory at worst.

A property working P25 is within spitting distance of a P9, and I say that as a P25 owner and former owner of a P9 of around 5 years. As you'd expect from Rega, the decks are conceptually very close and the main differences are the increased platter mass and off-board motor controller on the P9. The former is a useful advance, the latter more questionable IME as are most of these AC drive circuits. The purpose is to feed a cleaner AC signal to the motor - all well and good, but on a belt drive, with a heavy platter and a quiet motor these benefits are often moot.

I run my P25 with a Mission 774. I wouldn't swap it back to the P9, but I might for an RP10.
Hello Robert
Why do you change the tonearm on the
Rega p25,and do you change the subplatter too?
Thank you very much
Nacho

thanks.
I would keep the P25 And the DV P75 , find a DV20x cartridge and use the P75 in phono enhancer(Dr T) mode.

A groovetracer inner platter would be a nice improvement and if you could stretch to it an upgraded power supply and motor like Regas own Neo.Replace the drive belt with Regas own white belt.

Don't forget to clean out the bearing and replace the oil.

advertisement

Back