Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Have You Spent On Room Treatment?

Discussion in 'audio' started by paulfromcamden, Jun 18, 2021.

?

How Much Have You Spent On Room Treatment?

1. 0 - £250

72 vote(s)
    66.1%
  2. £250 - £500

14 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. £501 — £1,000

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. £1,001 - £2,000

5 vote(s)
    4.6%
  5. £2,001 - £5,000

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. £5,001 - £10,000

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. > £10,000

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

Magnitudes over £10,000, but i also got a brand new house with that.

RJohan likes this.
  2. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

Does an expensive (£200) ergonomic matress that didn't work for me and now is rolled together and supposed to be a basstrap count?

I did once have something near a live end/dead end room, but then I got a new GF and removed it before her first visit. The difference wasn't that big.

3. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand pfm Member

@RJohan A mattress won't work as a bass absorber, too high flow resistivity.

RJohan likes this.
  4. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

A lot putting in a mezzanine floor to drop the ceiling from 19' down to 9'
    It gave me an office upstairs, but it did solve the lack of bass problems that I had

Big Tabs likes this.
  5. gustav_errata

gustav_errata pfm Member

*sigh*

Fine, I'll spell it out for you.

It was just a joke about how Jez Arkless has no patience for anyone who professes to have hi-fi as a hobby but who haven't taken the time to learn not only basic electronics but also principles of audio-related electronics, and yet he goes and makes a strident, evidence-free, n=1 empirical statement about acoustics in his room, giving no deference to the theory and thereby apearing indistinguishable from someone making claims about cables in their system.

Edit: and in the spirit of having to spell stuff out, I'm not making any claims about cables or whatever, just making a meta joke at the forum level rather than the thread level.

Tom60300 likes this.
  6. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Embarrasingly I have no current investment in room treatments, which I would happily do if I could only find an arrangement that was domestically acceptable... until such time, I rely on couches, shelves of books and records, and my carpet to deal with some - but not all - of my room nasties. Everything is awesome (thanks Emmett ;) ) but I do have the usual nodal reinforcements and some cancellations in the bass, which only Big Fat Trapping can help, but no space, and even if I did... well,..... the FPO, she say 'no'.... :(

7. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Nothing at all.
    Room has a rug, textiles, plants, pictures and a large Kallax, none of which were bought for their audio qualities.

8. geoturbo

geoturbo pfm Member

@paulfromcamden is vibration control to be considered in this picture? If so I am in the 500-1000 bracket considering I went for some vibration control first.. despite I am believing the real difference is with room treatment (and also with electric), I reckon it will be hard to digest some acoustic treatment in our living room but time will tell..

9. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Nowt spent on room treatments to eternal shame here as my room is shocking in acoustic terms.

10. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Had the ceiling echo killed with appropriate rock wool and a stretched micro porous covering.

Brilliant upgrade.

Big Tabs likes this.
  11. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I once had a fern but I killed it.

Tom60300, sideshowbob and Darren L like this.
  12. rag987

rag987 pfm Member

Homemade tubetraps in all 4 corners plus panel absorbers at side walls. Maybe £200 in materials plus hours and hours of unpaid labour. Using Jon Risch recipe from over 20 years ago. Highly recommended.

Intend to try acoustic diffusers (Diy) at some point along rear wall. Interested in the Arqen designs.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Old Shatterhand likes this.
  13. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Too many nodal reinforcements?

14. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

She just kept talking through the music.

MikeMA and Bob McC like this.
  15. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

What is a stretched micro porous covering please? Hopefully it is reasonably priced and very porous and invisible :)

16. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Not cheap - around 7000€ for 33m2 including the acoustic rock wool, new ceiling and labour. But coherent in terms of the money spent on the hi-fi...
    The new ceiling is a stretched white plastic affair with micro perforations to avoid re-creating the echo.

Old Shatterhand likes this.
  17. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

Tried GIK panels in my last pad, placed non-scientifically on the 'live' rear (behind me) wall. Gave better imaging and overall calming effect. Didn't look great apparently so replaced with a tapestry which worked nicely too. And to be fair did look a lot better.

In moving, rug, curtains, tapestry and everything was stripped out before the hifi. It sounded awful! (Also made me wonder how much one could just DSP a room like that - a big bouncy space).

18. Hoopsontoast

Hoopsontoast pfm Member

About £600 IIRC, on GIK Panels with 4x semi Diffusor & Absorber panels and 4x standard. Having the picture rail really helps as I can just move them around while trying different room layouts.

[​IMG]
    System
    by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

torstoi, paulfromcamden and htm_1968 like this.
  19. tonerei

tonerei pfm Member

Wow you can say that again but when you look at the size of the space rockwool, new ceiling and labour will certainly not be a few hundred quid. I expect the stretched white plastic with micro perforations cost a fair chunk also. Do you have a link or name for this stuff? Just curious.

I spent lots on my room with still more to spend. Most of the floor was done due to a basement apartment underneath that I wanted to ensure was as protected from the 'noise' of my hifi as possible. Rockwool throughout, mass loaded 10kg vinyl and really heavy carpet underlay coupled with doubling up the joists on the floor and using two layers of soundblock on the ceiling below. I also using fire retardant mastic on the perimeter. Still need to do rockwool in the ceiling above and also diffusers and maybe some more bass panels so I understand how cost can mount up. Nobody sees it unlike the shiny new amp or new speakers but for me it is necessary.

20. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

£0 - unless you figure in the books and vinyl records that line my study.