advertisement

how much for a fuse,

Nice to see you're back in fighting spirit with your vehement disbelief, Jez. Adds balance to a discussion, I find. :D

Uncanny it might seem, but Jez does get around a bit on here. However, the title of the thread is like a carrot to some ( incl. me, I s'pose).:)

The point is that this is akin to watching people discuss whether square wheels are a good idea or is cancer caused by evil spirits and therefore it cannot be "discussed" or have "balance" as all who state they "believe" may as well have just said they are Napoleon, apart from Sundays when they are the messiah...

I saw a western series the other day. There was a snake oil vendor who admitted to selling a product that had no medical effect.

Those fellas could flog their daft oil, head out of Gullible Gulch in haste, and never be held accountable. The internet has brought us full circle. 21st century technology + pockets of 18th century thinking.

[under] what scientifically accepted method would they test better?
Rocket science? Quantum physic science?
Fuses are complex beasts we don’t fully understand yet. NASA does extensive research on them. They can’t afford any bad fuse choice on Mars. Just to make sure nothing goes wrong there, they chose the $ 4,000 type, for peace of mind. As for wiring, well…
:)

Rocket science? Quantum physic science?
Fuses are complex beasts we don’t fully understand yet. NASA does extensive research on them. They can’t afford any bad fuse choice on Mars. Just to make sure nothing goes wrong there, they chose the $ 4,000 type, for peace of mind. As for wiring, well…
:)

Not in my dept of NASA, most times they used Solid State Fuses or Electronic and Magnetic fuses, no bee anywhere.

I am no fuses expert but I believe cheaper multimeters use glass/transparent fuses whereas Flukes and similar pro meters use the non-transparent variety.

They probably cost equally as little but I wonder why hifi stuff usually go with the glass/see-through ones?

I am no fuses expert but I believe cheaper multimeters use glass/transparent fuses whereas Flukes and similar pro meters use the non-transparent variety.

They probably cost equally as little but I wonder why hifi stuff usually go with the glass/see-through ones?
So you can see if they're burnt out? I thought the ceramic looking ones were safety fuses, e.g. not as likely to turn the multimeter into shrapnel if you accidentally 'measure' some really high voltage, or use the meter on the wrong setting.

Reactions: RoA
My guess is that at least some of the foo fuses are just ordinary ones that have maybe been polished to a mirror finish and then have a classy sticker applied around the glass and go in a nice box. It would certainly be cheaper than making them. Maybe they even go in the fridge for a week?

I came across a similar practice 10 years ago when we had a boat. I was installing a shore power system and needed receptacles. A big manufacturer of boat electrical systems (panels, breakers, plugs/sockets had these 'marine grade' 110V receptacles that were supposedly more resistant to corrosion and had removable screws on the terminals so you could use crimped ring connectors instead of copper so they wouldn't come free from vibration. I bought one just to see (about $45) and opened it up. Inside was a Leviton ($6) GFCI receptacle that wasn't even disguised as anything else -- just the packaging. And the terminal screws weren't even removable as shown in the product photos. Nice mark up!

Ah boat ownership, a bit like setting fire to tenners in a cold shower.

So you can see if they're burnt out? I thought the ceramic looking ones were safety fuses, e.g. not as likely to turn the multimeter into shrapnel if you accidentally 'measure' some really high voltage, or use the meter on the wrong setting.

Quite possibly, makes sense

My Fluke has fuses wrapped in something that looks like woven fibreglass:
fluke-fuse-11a-1000v-b1-fuse-11a-1000v-fast.jpg

The (more expensive) Keithley bench meter has regular glass tube fuses.

Reactions: RoA
It amazes me to see apparently intelligent, experienced and knowledgeable people show such technical incompetence over basic electronic circuitry such as mains fuses and power leads. No wonder Jez gets frustrated as he is only trying to prevent you wasting your money whilst the snake-oil people snigger behind your backs about a fool and his money so easily parted.

In the case of HiFi equipment the incoming mains electricity connects via a switch into a power supply. Out of that power supply comes DC electricity that drives the rest of the equipment. Incoming mains > DC only. To the rest of the electronics its a battery. Nothing that happens before the power supply matters provided that its designed for that situation all that comes out is clean DC. If the DC is not clean then the power supply is either faulty or of very poor design.

In the UK we tend to use ring mains in domestic environments because it is quick and cheap to implement and that ring can carry a lot of current maybe 60A for example thats why the power leads have fuses in the plugs to prevent a fault turning the lead into an electric fire - I have actually witnessed that happen. The round pin plugs mentioned above are on 15 amp circuits directly connected to the 'fuse' box and are more likely to be employed in a commercial environment. Hence no fuse in the plug as its in the central fuse box.

Cheers,

DV

No, you're obviously wrong, people say they can hear the difference. They can't all be wrong can they?

rhetorical question.
/ˈrɛtərɪk/

noun
  1. a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer.
    "the presentation was characterized by impossibly long sentences and a succession of rhetorical questions"

To my ears fuses have not made a real audible difference so far - in where I have tried them, unlike when upgrading mains blocks or cables. Since I have tried a few fuses mostly thinking to not miss anything while trying and spending on the mains and not leaving it untested, I can easily see how this can be exploited by the industry by instilling insecurity more than it should. But I wouldn't rule out many other factors for these to have an effect or not, now or later, or to other people in their setups? Admittedly, none of this is so imminently critical to mankind - some do not spend money to try, feel smug and very clever, and keep spending time on forums to laugh at others who do spend some of their own money and enjoy a try, so the former never really know (but know everything about it), while the latter get it mostly wrong and keep experimenting. Imagine no one tried - we would still be at flat earth indeed! This is where other apparently intelligent, educated and experienced, technically competent people often go wrong. No need to storm and teach, and no one needs saving, sharing experience is better, and more convincing too btw.

The fuse clip made from different metals is the problem, not the fuse, clean the connection do not use Gold Tip Fuses in Copper or Silver plated or solid fuse holder.

As to Fuse in NASA, mm glass fuse in a environment filled with inflammable gasses. Not good or used. And the nice tiny bits of glass floating about getting into you food sounds like no fun either.
Yes the woven tape is around the Fluke fuse and also in my old AVO 8, it stops glass flying and cutting finger, a good idea here on a planet with gravity.
Guy not your normal long tested and proven mains plug fuses, it is ceramic, also not a 13 Amps it needs 26 Amps for over 20mS to blow. I did the numbers when I worked for MK on contract and at Advance Power Supplies many year ago, I passed the numbers on to Martin Columns, so he could publish them about 40yrs ago, OK so you was just learning to solder then he he;) ( see me now old git)
In the OLD STC Bible there is a table listing fuse types and construction and for what environment, I try and find my copy in the pile of thousands of book I own.

advertisement

Back