advertisement

How many think Corbyn will get in in Islington next election?

The Lib Dems are weak and damaged at present, but Brexit is clearly the largest and most divisive issue facing the country and they are on the right side of the argument, Corbyn on the wrong. As such, yes, Labour will lose a substantial number of votes in this direction (and to Green, SNP and Plaid Cymru). Given Corbyn’s Labour is failing to make any headway against even the worst Tory government in UK history I’d have hoped this penny would have dropped by now!

This is the problem. You blithely say the LibDems are on the right side of the argument. What you actually mean is that they agree with your opinion so they must be right.

Ironically Harry voted Remain.
To be clear, Harry tells us he voted remain. Harry also took the MoS shilling. Harry claims this hasn't impugned his integrity or honesty. Harry, like all of us, is entitled to his opinion on this, as all things.

Just saying... ;)

My judicious use of the ignore facility has led to a wonderfully surreal last couple of pages. I was particularly intrigued by the reference to penis size which came out of nowhere. I’ll rephrase that, it just seemed to pop up. No, that won’t do either...
'Just got lobbed onto the table'?

To be clear, Harry tells us he voted remain. Harry also took the MoS shilling. Harry claims this hasn't impugned his integrity or honesty. Harry, like all of us, is entitled to his opinion on this, as all things.

Just saying... ;)

FFS. Grow up. Took the MoS shilling. You make it sound like I'd signed up for the armed forces and killed people.

Why do you question my integrity and honesty? Have I ever questioned yours?

This is the problem. You blithely say the LibDems are on the right side of the argument. What you actually mean is that they agree with your opinion so they must be right.

So you back Corbyn because you think he doesn't agree with you? (Blithely).

Being on the right side of this potential disaster will have a huge impact on what you can do after it. There are many people watching closely who would normally be on board, but are concerned that Corbyn is not properly representing the majority of the membership and support. If a point comes where they feel able to support him you will soon see it. But that is up to him, or rather Leonard David McCluskey.

FFS. Grow up. Took the MoS shilling. You make it sound like I'd signed up for the armed forces and killed people.

Why do you question my integrity and honesty? Have I ever questioned yours?
Ironic that a tabloid journo would have such a thin skin. Did you not see the smiley?

Being on the right side of this potential disaster will have a huge impact on what you can do after it. There are many people watching closely who would normally be on board, but are concerned that Corbyn is not properly representing the majority of the membership and support. If a point comes where they feel able to support him you will soon see it. But that is up to him, or rather Leonard David McCluskey.
Also, it must call into question how effective he would be in actually implementing necessary policies.

No, I’ll be proven right in time just as I was when I argued here just as forcefully against Labour’s Iraq invasion (where again the Libs, Greens and the rest of us on the centre-left were correct). Brexit will make a lot of people a lot poorer, many will lose their jobs and homes, it will hugely restrict opportunities for the young and it may well give the far-right further traction. There are no gains. Public opinion will shift around to this view given time and further evidence. Labour are, for the second time in a generation, entirely wrong on the key issue of the day.

PS If you are looking for further evidence just look who is backing Brexit: The Conservatives, ERG, UKIP, EDL, BNP, Britain First, The National Front, The Daily Mail, The Daily Express, The Daily Telegraph, Arron Banks and his corrupt Leave.Eu campaign etc etc etc. Do you really want to side with or appease these? Do you really think they are right? Do you really think history will vindicate their actions?

Ironic that a tabloid journo would have such a thin skin. Did you not see the smiley?
I'm with HarryB on this, smiley or no smiley. I think it is a credit to him that he is sensitive to the job he has taken. Very few of us end up in jobs aligned with our political/social/philosophical views, and he's being honest.

By the way, ask yourself how honestly you used that smiley. You used it because internet theory says you can hide a wealth of sins behind a smiley as it defuses any nasty intent, which, as we've all demonstrated, it does not.

I'm with HarryB on this, smiley or no smiley. I think it is a credit to him that he is sensitive to the job he has taken. Very few of us end up in jobs aligned with our political/social/philosophical views, and he's being honest.

By the way, ask yourself how honestly you used that smiley. You used it because internet theory says you can hide a wealth of sins behind a smiley as it defuses any nasty intent, which, as we've all demonstrated, it does not.
Fair points, both of them. However, Harry is very quick to dish out some pretty robust comment on here. I have been on the receiving end more than once, and wasn’t the originator of the unpleasantaries. So forgive me if I take a small pop in return now and again. If he can’t take it, he shouldn’t dish it out so much.

This forum offers a very limited choice of smileys. I didn’t intend my remark to be quite as barbed as it may have read, and the smiley was added, after some thought, to reflect that. So in that respect at least, it was sincere.

Have to agree with this. We can't always get what we want, and sometimes what we get falls short of what we deserve too.

I admire his honesty, and have sympathy for anyone facing hard times, but I’ve gone through periods of exceptional financial hardship in my life without having to work for anything even remotely as repugnant as a hard-right gutter tabloid! I find it beyond hysterical that our far-left Corbynite activist is an ex-MOS writer! You couldn’t make it up!

PS Sorry, but I’d honestly take the dole ahead of Lord Rothermere’s money. There are just things I will not do!

Would Seumas Milne allow a change in direction?

I admire his honesty, and have sympathy for anyone facing hard times, but I’ve gone through periods of exceptional financial hardship in my life without having to work for anything even remotely as repugnant as a hard-right gutter tabloid! I find it beyond hysterical that our far-left Corbynite activist is an ex-MOS writer! You couldn’t make it up!

PS Sorry, but I’d honestly take the dole ahead of Lord Rothermere’s money. There are just things I will not do!

What a load of sanctimonious, mealy-mouthed clap trap. Here's how it was Mr high and mighty. I had three young kids and a wife to think about as well as myself. On top of that I had a legal employment issue to fight with mounting costs. Added to that I was facing the very real prospect of having my home repossessed. That's the home that my wife and children relied on to keep a roof over their heads.

Had it just been me to think about, then I may have turned the job down at the time but not with hindsight. The MoS was a brilliant employer and I got to dish the dirt on New Labour who in my opinion were almost as bad as the Tories. Presumably (and I'm guessing here) your employment choices have not needed to be made with that backdrop.

But here's the bottom line on right wing newspapers (that means virtually all of them). Nobody has to buy them and nobody has to read them. By the same token nobody has to jump on a moral high horse for forum effect and claim outrage.

I was employed by a right wing newspaper. I never once wrote anything racist, bigoted or right wing. I didn't damage or injure anyone. I worked bloody hard and conscientiously to provide a good upbringing for my children. All three of them are now contributing to society in very worthwhile ways. It could have been very, very different.

So, I don't have a single regret. And the fact that you feel the need to repeatedly have personal digs makes me feel rather superior to you in many ways.

No I don't see the irony. I would never question your honesty and integrity. The reason for that is I don't have enough information about you to do so. I do t think you have that Ievel of information about me either.

I'm not thin skinned in the slightest. Quite the opposite. I just dislike personal attacks based on the square root of f*ck all. But if that's how you wish to carry on then it's fine with me. ;-)

No I don't see the irony. I would never question your honesty and integrity. The reason for that is I don't have enough information about you to do so. I do t think you have that Ievel of information about me either.

I'm not thin skinned in the slightest. Quite the opposite. I just dislike personal attacks based on the square root of f*ck all. But if that's how you wish to carry on then it's fine with me. ;-)
Noted. I’ll keep it in mind.

advertisement

Back