advertisement

How many records/CDs

I probably spend something like 100 quid a week, this buys 10 to 20 LPs depending on the mix of new/old/rare stuff. Much more than that and I have trouble listening to them all at least once. We’ve got a reasonable S/H vinyl shop in town and a Fopp, these get most of my custom.

Simon

Simon

Is much of that a planned or whim purchase?

Would love to devote so much to music buying/listening. Hope you enjoy all of them!

Some planed, but mostly I grab anything that looks interesting. Most of the stuff I buy is 70s/80s indie and 50s/60s jazz along with more classic rock Neil Young, Led Zep etc (although I seem to have acquired a good Krautrock collection along the way– thanks Tony).
In the last week or so I’ve got (all vinyl):
Miles Davis “Round about midnight” – nice UK 6 eye
Herbie Hancock “Maiden Voyage”
Duke Ellington and John Coltrane – new Bluenote reissue
Bob Mould “Workbook”
Nova Mob “Last Days of Pompeii”
The Coral “Magic and Medicine”
Rage Against the Machine “RATM”
The Pop Group “Y”
Mazzy Star “Fade into you” EP
Joni Mitchell “Ladies of the Canyon”
Black Crows “The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion”
Joy Division “J.D. Warsaw”
Bleach “Snag”
Plus a couple of others I can’t remember

This is nothing compared to the big hitters round here.

Simon

I can never get enough records, I love buying music, especially mail order. Waiting for a bunch of records, not quite knowing what the're going to look or sound like is all part of the joy of music. I will nearly always sell a valuable if I can get the same music cheaper elsewhere though. Prime example is Stereolab, whose early singles I sold for a small fortune and bought back on single compilation cds. I just ask myself if I would pay that much for it, if the answer is no, the record can go!
I can't be bothered to count them all, but they measure up to appr.
3m of 7"
4m of 12"/10"
7m of cds

It helped marrying a record collecting woman! My wife used to have Creation 1-100 some which I bought off her before we met up and I moved over to the UK...

Space Cadet's got it right, you should be able to measure your collection by the meter!

I personally think the answer to the original question is that your collection should always be growing/expanding. If someone has 2000 albums, but hasn't bought any in 5 years, then I'd say something's wrong. Someone else may have 500 records yet actively buy one a week. I'd say the latter is a bigger music fan.

To me, any music fan is consistantly buying music.

Thirdly its an investment – I am a pretty shrewd and knowledgeable second hand record buyer and my collection reflects this, it is worth at least 4-6 times what I paid for it. A far better return than having the money earning 3.5% in a savings account, and useful too!

This is only true if you have your records properly insured! About ten years back, a friend of mine had his entire record collection destroyed. His sister was over doing laundry when she "accidently" left an item of clothing in the tub and all the water from the washing machine overflowed on his entire collection in the next room. It wasn't discovered until the next day and every record and jacket were ruined.

Fortunately, his insurance company reimbursed him for all the records at face value. However, he had many albums worth far more to collectors. Unfortunately, the many albums purchased as an investment were worthless.

Learning from that experience, I contacted my insurance agent and found that people who have record collections (or any collection for that matter) are subject to waivers. It doesn't cost any more on my policy, but I had to document every record I have of value. It took me several hours writing down the items of most value. My agent also suggested video-taping my collection as well as my entire belongings.

The biggest problem with verifing that you have music of high value is that most is bought second hand and there is little in the way of receipts.

I also now keep my collection in different parts of the home, so in case of a roof leak, fire, etc., only part of the collection is destroyed. Even though I know I'd be reimbursed by my insurance company, I'd be devastated emotionally if everything was lost in one shot.

Ron The Mon

That's a good point - I have 40k of cover in a rented flat to cover ~12k of high risk stuff - the hifi is exempt from this as each item is under £1500 (I'm skint!) but the records - man oh man, I hate my sister enough to (almost literally) kill her as it is - if she even LOOKED at one of my records wrong - god - that's a nightmare story man - I had a nightmare once where all my flat got nicked - I literally woke up in a puddle of sweat - very very scary dream (I know that's sad to admit, but I would probably have a breakdown if I lost all my music - it's the only thing that keeps me (in)sane)....

I have about 10 feet of vinyl almost all albums bar about 200 house records from 88-89.

I have no idea how many that is but it's seems alot.. I am buying about 4-5 a month currently although four are normally older jazz and funk records.
I also do a montly trip to few local charity shops to build my classical collection up I just buy them on labels really, Decca, Phillips and the like and at a quid or so each no worries if they are not great.

I think a limit is not practical, I really like finding old tunes I forgot I had, dug out a copy of "Visit Venus - music for space tourism" on Sunday and had an excellent mellow hour or so....

I was converted to music from Cycling - (cue for Kraftwerk) after being taken to my first ever live gig - The Groundhogs at Croydon Greyhound - must have been 1970. Since then music has been hugely important to me and buying and collecting records/cd's an experience I treasure.

Like most long term collectors (I suspect) we have all fallen on hard times at some point or another and the thirst for new music has required a trade-in of albums that, although loved once, had temporarily lost their appeal given the need to satisfy the appetite for new stuff. Gone therefore are all my original Led Zep, Purple, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Genesis vinyl, which were traded for mid 70's jazz fusion that I got into for a while. Still love anything by Joe Zawinul and Wayne Shorter, though - and Miles is still the king).

Even worse, but what I wanted at the time, was trading my collection of nearly 200 punk and new wave singles for the complete collection of Mozart piano concertos on CD. Should never have done that - I could still buy the Mozart for less money but there's no way to replace the singles for less that a kings ransom.

My collection is now pretty huge - I know exactly how many I've got because every one is catalogued - I listen to music seriously for at least 2/3 hours a day, and have the CD player on in the background whilst working. When listening on my own, I generally play more recent releases just to hear them, but I love it when mates come round and we reminisce about albums of old that we love and it's great just to go to the rack, pull out the disk and play it.

There are many albums I have which don't get played often now, but would I sell any - no way.

Because I'm a sad bugger who keeps a record of all my purchases, I know that I have bought 55 full price albums since 1st June. More money than sense - possibly, but I am an addict and I can't help it.

Happy collecting everyone.

BTW - anybody know the value of a Bob Marley Limited Edition vinyl box set of all his albums, except Babylon by Bus, released in the mid 80's? It's in a burgundy coloured box and each album is individually enclosed in a gold sleeve with a black and white photo of Bob.

I don't count them up, but it is well past 10,000 items, growing by c. 200 per month on average, sometimes more.

[See Naim forum->music room -> What is the last album you bought]

A lot of Non-Pink fish / naim people don't seem to realise that you can still buy most new release non classical & jazz on vinyl, and that with a bit of effort nearly anything can be tracked down.

I have always been interested in the new styles of music, being a neophile, and am interested to see the fusion of styles throwing up new areas like electroclash and the next new thing, glam rock / techno interface.

I am addicted to collecting, but do play the music all the time as well.

DS

OTD - Jurgen Paape - Ballroom Blitz

That's better. I've recovered. The image of standing on a pig to reach a high shelf gave me the fits. Hence the need for a BEER.

I have roughly 300 LPs, 100 CDs, and 100 minidisks recorded from the same number of cassettes which are in the garage to save space. I'll admit it's small in comparison with some, but I could not possibly imagine living without them.

It is my history and a pleasure. I love music.

My first album was Fill Your Head With Rock. During my teens and early twenties I bought loads of LPs but slowed down dramatically with marriage, children, mortgage etc.

Now, I buy albums when I see them but don't go shopping nearly enough. Mainly it's albums I didn't buy when I was younger from the same period, the 70's. CDs were only bought in the first place because I couldn't get LPs any more. Now, I won't by a CD if I can possibly get the LP.

In answer to the question, you can't have too many.

Mick

After reading and responding to this last week, I decided to go shopping at the weekend, armed with £25. I bought 7 more LPs, 6 of which would only have cost £1 each except David's Records in Letchworth is doing a 3 for 2 on second hand albums this month so they cost £4 total. All in great condition, only needing a clean and new inner sleeves.

The 7th was a new album: The White Stripes - Elephant. I had a choice of the UK release or the import on coloured vinyl (one LP white, the other, red). I figured if the coloured vinyl sounded bad I could give it to my 10 year old who introduced me to the album on CD a couple of months ago. Actually, there's no more noise on it than a lot of '70s pressings so I can live with it. In addition, it's a very high level cut; which it can be with an average of 3 tracks on each side, so you can't hear the surface whilst the music is playing.

So now, roughly 307 LPs.

Mick

About 500 silver discs and 300 black ones. About 10 years ago I lost a whole load of the black ones to my sister and her friends when I made the mistake of storing them at my mum's place. It's still something we can't really talk about.

About 10 years ago I lost a whole load of the black ones to my sister and her friends

In my case it was my mother -- although it was about 25 years ago and she objected to the content. I guess I should thank her for giving me something to rebel against :) .

I've about 20 linear feet of LPs and close to 1000 cds. Like others here I've tended to regret selling things in the past and as a result have become more of a packrat with respect to music.

Although I love my collection, parts of it have gotten pretty out-of-whack with my current listening. For instance, I have a good 40 Beethoven titles, and many of these are themselves big sets (of complete concerti, e.g.). Yet anymore I don't listen to B. more than maybe once/twice a year.

Still buy maybe 20 titles a month, mostly LP, about half used.

If only.

She stole a load of them, left them with a bunch of with her traveller type mates, who then added them to the boxes of records they used for deejaying. Took me a couple of month of constant hassle to get any of them back. When I finally got some back, they were so damaged as to be unplayable. Loads of +8, Warp, Novamute, Tresor, etc.

I recently sold off my small LP collection numbering about 350 (and my record player and RCM) for prices I was very pleased with.
Reasons - they took up a lot of space and I felt I should be playing them more often, that last may sound stupid but I like to be fair and I like to get value out of purchases; that probably makes it sound more stupid!
Anyway I have no regrets and feel liberated.
I am left with a few 100 CDs which is quite enough for me, I should really have a cull of those as there are certainly some I never play and I will no doubt buy the odd new one to swell the racks.
I have no qualms about not finishing books and throwing them out if they don’t grab me and have very few in the house but I seem to expect more from music purchases.

(p.s. It was a turntable not a record player)

Last edited:
I don’t know how many records I have.
Rough estimate.
1500 L.P’s
1500 7” Singles
1000 c.d’s.
<100 12” Singles

A 20-year old thread resurrection - must be the record.

2600+ LPs
3000+ CDs
Loads of 7 & 12"singles & CD singles - probably 1000+.

Yes, I need to downsize.

advertisement

Back