advertisement

How loud?

Vacuum cleaners, what a noise they make in enclosed spaces, I know these modern ones are superb at doing their job, but I'd hate to know the levels. One claims 85db(a) - but standing next to the thing in a corner ( not in a non reflective chamber) has to be higher. That's when they are right out of the box too I guess.

Anyway, ear plugs for vacuums, 12 o'clock for pre amps ;)

95% of the concerts I go to are unamplified. Orchestral or choral and, recently a post master-class concert for some singers. In all cases I am surprised how loud the sound level is. I suspect most hifi systems sound "loud" well before they get to these concert levels because of clipping on peaks.
My iphone meter maxes at 105dB and the peaks are over that in every concert I have attended since I got the app. Choral music at a Priory near here was showing a steady 97db in the full choir bits, and I was astonished to hear a soprano and piano at the same level. Orchestral is louder in the loud bits with the quieter bits of a Mahler symphony dropping below 50dB.
I don't often listen at true concert levels but I like to from time to time. It needs a lot of power...

95% of the concerts I go to are unamplified. Orchestral or choral and, recently a post master-class concert for some singers. In all cases I am surprised how loud the sound level is. I suspect most hifi systems sound "loud" well before they get to these concert levels because of clipping on peaks.
My iphone meter maxes at 105dB and the peaks are over that in every concert I have attended since I got the app. Choral music at a Priory near here was showing a steady 97db in the full choir bits, and I was astonished to hear a soprano and piano at the same level. Orchestral is louder in the loud bits with the quieter bits of a Mahler symphony dropping below 50dB.
I don't often listen at true concert levels but I like to from time to time. It needs a lot of power...

IMV clipping the peaks does not make the sound subjectively louder rather peeps turn up the volume (as I did) to try and get a realistic sound ( and that pushes the spl up) but instead get a thick heavy and relatively undynamic presentation that still doesn't sound loud enough.

However with plenty of muscle it all comes alive. I have 1600wpc not for p/a but to handle those short but big transients that adds timbre amongst other things to the instruments/performers. Like you I go to many live similar performances and like to have a seat at a live event. It sounds louder but the spl as measured on my cheap Radioshack spl meter and iPad spl apps is lower. I guess these devices are not fast enough to capture the dynamic short term transient peaks.

I had an unusual experience when I went to Glyndebourne a couple of weeks ago. This time we were in a 'box' in the centre circle for the first time with 14 chairs and for once my HiFi sounded better and SWMBO agreed. Next time it'll be the more expensive 'out-of-box' circle seats!

Cheers,

DV

I can't do any measuring but rarely play music loud or even to ‘realistic’ levels. Except my wife now says ‘turn it down’ whilst before she said ‘turn it up - you’re not hearing all of the note’.

I remember talking to someone at an evening Hifi venue. For something to say, I asked if he’d ever used valves. He nearly went ballistic. Then we talked about loudness and he said he liked his music loud and said ‘..I mean loud’.

Most people, I think, play music loud or at least to realistic levels. I never have - perhaps that’s why I’m not really a ‘proper hifi person’. The speakers would,of course, explode if I really turned up the volume.
Can’t risk it.
Going to a John Martyn concert left my hearing‘dulled out’ for a few days.

I've found I listen at lower levels now that I have returned from three years away. Just don't need the volume with a good system and I guess I am getting old.

I never register peaks higher than 80db with most listening around 70db. The other night we were enjoying some Kraftwerk without it registering on the RadioShack meter at all - so below 60db at 3m.

Off to see Orbital live later this month so I might be in for a bit of a shock.

Tony, pointing the spl meter between the speakers is about the worse way of measuring speakers. the reason for this is that you get interference between the two main direct sound waves which result in low and high spots so moving the spl meter away ad towards the speakers you will see spl variations. (particularly at lower frequencies). If you are doing single frequencies the problems get worse.

Standing waves occur in your room particularly at lower frequencies and again high and low areas particularly at lower frequencies.

If you see any speaker measurements it will be one speaker with a meter on a fixed tripod at a listening height in a semi anechoic or anechoic chamber/room.

Measuring speaker performance in any "normal" livng room is very difficult and repeating the measurements are very difficult.

the above reasons are why I am not wild on electronic room correction. These correction devices are always a compromise between getting a good sound at one point and worse sound at many other points in a room. In most cases improving sound reproducibility at one point will make it worse at another point.

For the above reasons when I made my active speakers, I used an spl meter to set the levels of the drivers at the cross over frequency and i just don't worry about the rest.

The active system I have sounds fine and not superb, because I refuse to sit at a listening point in my room.

I am qualified in room acoustics and the measurement of sound. i am not making it up. All the above are scientific facts and not my opinion.

Here is wiki's attempt at an explanation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_measurement

Michael

advertisement

Back