advertisement

How loud before the neighbours complain?

Can't tolerate really loud any more , usually 75-85db according to iPad app.When my mate comes over for a listen he wants to crank it up to 95db , a level that actually hurts my ears these days.

I only get complaints from my daughter, her room sits above the music room with speakers either side of a chimney breast. I can hear her terrible tunes via the chimney from her boom box. I usually win the loudness wars.

I did get a complaint from neighbours recently, but I managed to stop the problem fairly easily. I'm sure someone will eventually find them.

Best to just ask if the music's bothering them. Many years ago we had a young Malaysian fella living next door, & one evening, when we were watching a film with the surround sound cranked up a bit he knocked on the door, told us he loved the film, & could he come in & watch it please? He was clutching a nice bottle of wine. Been friends with him ever since.

What I've done before is explained it all to the neighbour (when in a semi-detached with adjoining living rooms) and went round to hear how loud the music sounded at different volumes - as set on the amp, not dB measurements.

What was surprising was how loud it could be played my end without intrusion at there - moderate levels were fine and it was good to remove the doubt. Especially surprising given I could hear pretty much every word of her loud-pedalled phone conversations coming clearly through the wall!

... I told her no, I wouldn't turn it down because it was entirely reasonable to play music at that volume at that time...

milton-radio.jpg

Well, the Beatles had a complaint from a neighbour when they were recording Abbey Road. I can't say I can match that.

I’ve a bungalow that’s only attached to next door through the far bedroom. There’s five brick walls (& rooms) between where I listen and their lounge. One evening I turned up some Joy Division at insane levels (I couldn’t listen at that level), went round and asked them if they could hear anything. No they replied and asked me in to listen myself, nothing. I thought that test was very worthwhile and now never worry, whatever the time, although I’m still mindful after midnight.

We live in a 10 year old Town House, I was worried when we bought it brand new as the only previous new house I'd had we could hear the neighbors stirring their tea! I've checked with the neighbors on one side they claim never to have heard my music. The woman on the other side is a gobshite so I haven't bothered to ask her but when our house is silent you can just about make out Mrs Gobshite's TV through the wall.

Cheers BB

My neighbour shouts out loud at top voice when all is quiet. (some disease?), When I am playing al low level he perhaps does it more frequently when I am playing Stockhausen, Schoenberg, Haydn. Kate Westbrook. He never seems to go to work, I am retired and ignore him.

advertisement

Back