advertisement

How loud before the neighbours complain?

Having moved to a new house I’m not wanting to annoy the new neighbours (just yet) I’ve a simple sound meter on my iPhone that’s registering nothing more than 68 ~ 72 dB. I’m feeling this is acceptable and it also sounds much lower than my old house. Must say the house next to me has a hallway between me and it’s walls. My hifi volume would be around 25% of capacity.

Around 70 dB is very reasonable. I often listen to music at this level although my neighbor is not close and I can really enjoy anyway.

Speak to your neighbours, unless they’re real arseholes they will usually work with you and tell you politely when it’s too loud, after all, you will have invited them to do so which remove any awkwardness. I did have a neighbour who was an absolute arsehole, he complained about the slightest thing but made more noise than anyone else, other neighbours had issues with him too, so I just did as I pleased in the end, whether he liked it or not.

I’ve dropped very lucky where I live now, detached property and awesome neighbours either side. I’ve even had a few band practices, spoke to my neighbours first but neither have ever heard anything (although the one side came and joined us with beer and prosecco once). My other neighbour has been round with his vinyl and listened with me a few times.

We have 'new' neighbours (house has been owned by the same family for 10 years, but now occupied by a different 'branch'). I made a point of explaining that I sometimes listen to music quite loud and I'm not sure how much of that carries through the party wall. I stressed that I'd much rather he let me know if it's too loud as I don't want to upset him, and absolutely wouldn't be offended if he came round and asked me to turn it down, or let me know that it was disturbing him. (I often listen at 80-85bB levels with peaks sometimes around 95-100dB - measured by iPhone app). I only do this during the day, evening listening is usually <80dB, and it goes off after around 9-ish.

He's been fine, he let me know it doesn't bother him. I also know when he's not in, and try to schedule accordingly.

Unless the OP's house is modern with thin walls, I'd have thought 70-75dB is entirely reasonable.

We live at the end of a private drive with only one neighbour nearby who is about 100yards away. I also have active loudspeakers with over 16,000W of amplification.

I’ll leave you to work out how loud I listen on occasion...
Wobblybob's missus could hear his system from 44 miles away...

We live in a peel tower in the middle of an impenetrable marsh so have no problems with the neighbours. Do have to make sure we are well locked in of an evening though, and if it goes over 85db it can spook the cattle downstairs.
Invictus Maneo!

I have had one complaint in 26 yrs (since moving into current abode - adjoining hallways semi-det.)

It was from a residence 4 house away. Mind you, I was giving it some, and I was using my old D.J. double stack, bass bins etc.

I will measure with the iphone hoodiddy later, interested to know what my normal level is. (in the gutter)

We live at the end of a private drive with only one neighbour nearby who is about 100yards away. I also have active loudspeakers with over 16,000W of amplification.

I’ll leave you to work out how loud I listen on occasion...
16kW?? You must have incredibly inefficient speakers to need that. I did a charity festival in the summer, had 8kW of amplification to the FOH and about 2kW to the fold back monitors, we had some complaints from some miserable gits... from about 2 miles away, and we weren’t pushing the limits of the PA by any means.

It depends more on the neighbours than on you. I had one complaint from a neighbour who didn't have the politeness to come round themselves, they sent their primary school aged children. I politely said no and sent them away, didn't hear again. Apart from anything else their teenage son made more noise than I ever did when his parents were out, and I never complained. I've also had a neighbour ask me "do the kids bother you with the noise in the morning ?" Answer - yes, cowboys and Indians at 0700 on a Saturday is a PITA - but what I told him was "No, never hear them. Erm, comes to noise, I listen to a fair bit of music, does the Led Zeppelin at midnight ever disturb you?" "Never hear it Steve". Good, we understand each other very well. In contrast I had a neighbour, a young woman, who complained on the night she moved in, because we were having a BBQ in the garden and there was music playing in the kitchen with the door open. It wasn't late but she explained that she'd had a long day, so we went indoors. A week later she came and complained about the music at 7.30 in the evening. I told her no, I wouldn't turn it down because it was entirely reasonable to play music at that volume at that time. She never spoke to me again, which suited me fine. My neighbours on the other side at that time were 2 young lads who watched action movies through a big 5.1 system late at night, I let it go, live and let live, they never complained about Good Times Bad Times at midnight. God help anyone if the complaining young woman had ended up next to the action movies lads.

Any time we've moved, or had new people move in next door, I've gone round and said that we both like our music, but don't want to be those neighbours Then given them our phone number, and told them to let us know if we're taking the piss.
A couple of summers back we were sat in the garden early evening with music playing, and didn't realise how loud it was (and it was feckin' loud) until I went through the lounge to get another drink - immediately turned it down.
Saw the neighbours the next morning, and apologised. They hadn't heard a thing - result!

16kW?? You must have incredibly inefficient speakers to need that. I did a charity festival in the summer, had 8kW of amplification to the FOH and about 2kW to the fold back monitors, we had some complaints from some miserable gits... from about 2 miles away, and we weren’t pushing the limits of the PA by any means.

As mentioned, they are active speakers, and the 16kW is spread across 26 drive units, to be fair!

Depends on the neighbour. About 30 years ago I moved into my second flat, a first floor flat, the first weekend before I had even unpacked I was listening to a new CD by Blind melon on a ghetto blaster at a moderate volume when a very loud knock came to the door. It was person who lived below me complaining bitterly and threatening violence to both me and my wife, this continued, for nearly a year, threats of burning us alive, he threatened me a knife point down the street. He was well known as a bit of a psychopath or sociopath perhaps, he had broke both his ex -girlfriends legs, beat up his own father, took two car loads of police to hold him down until they got a straight jacket on him. The police and the council were absolutely hopeless and would do nothing until he actually did something! The firm I worked for was doing a job re-paving Royal Avenue in Belfast and as usual we had five days to do a job which should have taken about 2 weeks so we were starting early and finishing late. Around 5 am the van would pull up for me, the driver would normally wait a minute and I'd be down and off we would go, on the Thursday morning my neighbour came running out in his boxers with a hurling bat and threatened the driver. The driver looked at him, laughed and drove off, he told me not to worry, he'd have a word with his uncle and it would be sorted out. The next week my neighbour was sent to America. That's the last time I had a neighbour, I chosen to live in detached properties since.

Depends on the neighbour. About 30 years ago I moved into my second flat, a first floor flat, the first weekend before I had even unpacked I was listening to a new CD by Blind melon on a ghetto blaster at a moderate volume when a very loud knock came to the door. It was person who lived below me complaining bitterly and threatening violence to both me and my wife, this continued, for nearly a year, threats of burning us alive, he threatened me a knife point down the street. He was well known as a bit of a psychopath or sociopath perhaps, he had broke both his ex -girlfriends legs, beat up his own father, took two car loads of police to hold him down until they got a straight jacket on him. The police and the council were absolutely hopeless and would do nothing until he actually did something! The firm I worked for was doing a job re-paving Royal Avenue in Belfast and as usual we had five days to do a job which should have taken about 2 weeks so we were starting early and finishing late. Around 5 am the van would pull up for me, the driver would normally wait a minute and I'd be down and off we would go, on the Thursday morning my neighbour came running out in his boxers with a hurling bat and threatened the driver. The driver looked at him, laughed and drove off, he told me not to worry, he'd have a word with his uncle and it would be sorted out. The next week my neighbour was sent to America. That's the last time I had a neighbour, I chosen to live in detached properties since.

who the hell was his uncle!!??

advertisement

Back