advertisement

How good is a Rega DAC ?

Stew B

Doh !
I currently stream music from my Vortexbox in Flac files to my Naim 102/HiCap /180 via a Sonus Connect with a Sonlink DAC (Arcam R-link? ) Also use Spotify premium and iTunes. The Sonlink DAC did add some extra definition to the sound, but I was wondering whether upgrading to a Rega DAC would be an improvement.

I have compared my current Sonus set up with my Naim CD5 and there isn't much in it, I would say the CD5 is better but not a lot through my system anyway. I know it is personal taste but with the old Rega DAC's going for around £200 - £250 it may be worth a punt.

The Rega DAC-R's are a bit more expensive so was looking to go with the older model.

Anyone here got a Rega DAC? Is using it with a Sonus streamer worthwhile or do I hold off and go for a better streamer in the end. Not sure what though as I cannot afford a Naim ND5 XS or Linn DS. Only other thought was a second hand Linn Skeaky DS at around £650

Comments appreciated

The Rega DAC reclocks the incoming data stream before conversion so it should be pretty immune to sound quality differences in the streamer. I have a DAC-R an am pretty happy with it, but I have not done any direct comparisons with something like a Linn. The DAC should sound more or less identical to the DAC-R unless USB is used, which is more advanced on the DAC-R. Also, for some reason the R has two fewer filter settings than the older DAC.

I think the main reason you would have to upgrade your streamer rather than your DAC is if you aim to stream high-res content as the Sonos only supports 16 bit content.

If you are interested in DSD, the Rega won't do that so then you need to upgrade both. The Linn Sneaky won't do DSD either, but maybe Linn is planning to add that in the future.

Just looked at the Sonlink, it does look as though they’ve literally stuck an Rlink in a custom case. The Rlink is a decent enough DAC for the money, I have one that I’ve popped in various setups and it’s always sounded pleasant... the Rega DAC is more open and detailed though.

I was not looking at Hi Res files, just trying to put all my current 1000 or so CD’s onto the hardrive. So going the current route for a while is best for the money. Thanks for your input so far guys, appreciated, looks like I would get more openness and detail so the Rega DAC could be a good way forward. Have a few items to sell so this should help fund it, plus I can sell on the Sonlink.

Any other recommendations on DAC’s around £250 mark? I am happy to buy second hand to get a good one. I was thinking about Beresford Caiman or Musical Fidelity M1

Chord Mojo, it’s a lovely thing and significantly better than a Rega in my opinion at least. I picked up mine second hand for £250, and it runs as a permanently plugged in item. It’s lovely and clean sounding, and has plenty of detail/oomph. It creates a lovely soundstage, and is generally very easy on the ear. It is a remarkably similar sounding device to the very expensive DPA DAC Tony L uses, we weren’t sure we could reliably distinguish between them. It’s only foible is you have to use a headphone out, so you’ll need a 3.5mm to RCA lead as well. I got a Gotham one for about £20. Well worth considering.

Any other recommendations on DAC’s around £250 mark? I am happy to buy second hand to get a good one. I was thinking about Beresford Caiman or Musical Fidelity M1
I am not sure how good is your current DAC but having owned the Musical Fidelity M1 with Naim amps I cannot recommend the M1. It sounded flat and lifeless next to a Chord QBD76.

I used to own an original M1. Great dac. I changed it for a dac with asynchronous usb input. I would like to repurchase an updated one in the future. It has a choke regulation over supply which allowed it to reveal low end detail more successfully than most DACs in its price band. It also had a detailed treble though it needed careful matching to avoid potential hardness. In my own set up it was great. And I used it with a Naim Nac82/180 combo.

I used to own an original M1. Great dac. I changed it for a dac with asynchronous usb input. I would like to repurchase an updated one in the future. It has a choke regulation over supply which allowed it to reveal low end detail more successfully than most DACs in its price band. It also had a detailed treble though it needed careful matching to avoid potential hardness. In my own set up it was great. And I used it with a Naim Nac82/180 combo.

Did you try a Chord DAC with your NAC82/180. I had the MF M1 with the asynchronous USB and it sounded flat when compared to the Chord QBD76 used with NAC282/250DR.

I used coaxial as USB was early adaptive. Certainly not flat.
I tried both coaxial and USB on the MF M1 and there was little difference between the two inputs. The MF M1 sounded fairly good when I had it for several years (4-5). When I got the Chord DAC into the system I realised what I was missing..

I liked the MDAC, but prefer the Chord. You need to hear them next to each other I guess. They’re very different products and do different things.

I'll probably be put on the list behind Keith for being taken outside and shot, but I've tried various DACs including a few internet favoured ones and ended up where I started with a £35 USB DAC from the land of the great container ship via Ebay.

Safe to say I can't hear much, if anything, between any of them. I'd take a guess at the Rega being as good as any of them I suppose.

So I picked up a DAC-R this afternoon and the first order of business once I got home was to find out whether it works with my NAS* via USB and I'm pleased to say it does :)

Synology keep a list of DACs that officially work with their NASs and although the DAC-R isn't listed, it's well known that other DACs do indeed work, so all I had to do was buy one and try it for myself, and thankfully, the gamble paid off :)

I am going to "dust-off this thread". I acquired an AuraLIC ARIES Mini Streamer, and it is my new toy :).
Currently I am exploring all the possible connection methods and bits and kHz, and pushing every possible button :).
I have noticed that my Rega DAC does not support the 24bit 96 kHz stream on its USB input.
If I choose the coaxial input, it works, accepts the 24bit 96 kHz stream.
The guy from who I bought the ARIES streamer told me that the USB output should have superior sound quality to the coaxial output.

Should I upgrade my Rega DAC to a Rega DAC-R so I can have the full 24/192 compatibility on USB?
Do you think it is worth it?
Are some other sonic improvements in the Rega DAC vs Rega DAC-R change?

advertisement

Back