advertisement

How good can stand speakers be ?

There are speakers that sound great without needing strange ridiculously priced audiophile electronics, why anyone would want to buy some that do escapes me.

Thank you to all for advice.
1. I also had Yamaha NS1000 but at least I gave them to my sister...
2. I like the Leben and the Harbeth and on most music they are stunning for the price.
3. My LZ Atlantic vinyl has red/green labels : what is this plum stuff ?
4. Headphones the easy answer but so embarrassing when you join in !

My thinking on the Diablos is that I have a good source. I also like my Leben and the Diablo is more efficient than the Harbeth, and has better bass so it should move things in right direction. Reviews of the Diablos put them near the top of the stand mount tree so I should like them...but it is a lot of money for "should".

A move in a direction that I doubt it will address your Led Zep issue in any meaningful way. How big is your room? Unless you can afford a large enclosure with an efficient driver (given you like valves) that has a biggish bass driver you won't solve the Led Zep problem. Even active smaller enclosures don't really cut it (IMO). A good bigun will always trounce a good littleun. A well chosen second hand Tannoy would be where I would be looking.

Nic P

A move in a direction that I doubt it will address your Led Zep issue in any meaningful way. How big is your room? Unless you can afford a large enclosure with an efficient driver (given you like valves) that has a biggish bass driver you won't solve the Led Zep problem. Even active smaller enclosures don't really cut it (IMO). A good bigun will always trounce a good littleun. A well chosen second hand Tannoy would be where I would be looking.

Nic P

I agree with you; but also because Diablos are most probably not the speakers anyone should want with a CD source (as a previous response advised). My Harbeths are probably more forgiving and, with many CDs, that is just as well !
I think I will buy Audeze headphones and hope nobody watches my version of Robert Plant !

Thank you for confirming that I somehow managed to buy second-rate vinyl even though I bought them (I thought close to release dates) some 40 years ago: that has just made my day !

Please go on, not quite sure what you mean

Thank you for confirming that I somehow managed to buy second-rate vinyl even though I bought them (I thought close to release dates) some 40 years ago: that has just made my day !

It might depend on which continent you were on when you made your purchase...

For the OP: Just noticed a an ad in the classifieds - some fairly efficient Jamo speakers... IIRC the seller auditioned P3ESRs before settling on the Jamos.

advertisement

Back