advertisement

How does Sugar’s Copper Blue hold up now?

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
talking to a friend earlier and he rated this among his favourite 30 albums. I never really fully clicked with it at the time and after another listen tonight I hear a good album but not a classic to be feted. But this could be all nostalgia for as I have said it wasn’t a major thing for me 30 years ago either.

Where do you rate this now?

.sjb

I haven’t listened to it recently, so I can’t say, but I think Bob Mould has held up well. Silver Age is great. He’s one of a surprisingly large group of artists who have been producing consistently good, and occasionally great music, for 25+ years. Superchunk, Young Fresh Fellows, Guided By Voices, Bevis Frond, Mekons, Built to Spill, Teenage Fanclub, etc.

I always thought it was 2/3rds a really good album that ran out of steam towards the end. I think it sounds a bit dated these days.

I've not played Copper Blue for years: and dug it out for a listen.

I loved Husker Du and still play their records, esp New Day Rising, and found the mix of Mould's intensity and Hart's pop sensibility was close to perfect. Sugar had the intensity but, IMO, missed the musical diversity of Husker Du - the Beatles and Byrds influences became less pronounced, apart from If I Can't Change Your Mind, and became more straight angsty rock.

Last edited:
Sugar had the intensity IMO but missed the musical diversity of Husker Du - the Beatles and Byrds influences became less pronounced, apart from If I cant Change Your Mind, and became more straight angsty rock.

None of the solos improved on Hüsker Dü to my mind. I’ve not retained any as I just go straight for Zen Arcade or whatever if I’m in that mood. As you suggest Hüsker Dü were a great pop band under all that noise! It is just great fun full-on music. The other standout of that scene were Minutemen/Firehose and they still get dug out for a spin. Two of the greatest three-piece rock bands ever IMO. Zen Arcade and Double Nickel On The Dime are two of the best albums of the ‘80s for sure.

I bought it when it came out and remember being underwhelmed - I found it rather turgid. I rarely play it, but it popped up a few months back when I was playing random albums on my Squeezebox and I have to say I like it even less now. I do like Husker Du though. But I'm aware of how much people love it, I guess I'm missing something.

as the kids might say - "all killer, no filler"
Played to death (quite loudly) then and it still stands up.
Very Good Album.

Yeah, a winner in my book. Seen Sugar on the supporting tour and thought they were great. Still an album I go back to and happy to recommend.

Regards

Brian

It’s a patchy record. The best of it is amongst the best in his catalogue. It tails off with the last 3 tracks but is still superior to its follow up File Under Easy Listening, which was remarkably tepid. Given the solo stuff which preceded it there was certainly something of a sense of relief when it came out but I think it stands up very well now. It’s not a classic but it is a very good album.

Bob Mouid solo prior to this was the only time I’ve ever walked out of a gig. 6 “songs” in and there were no songs. Just volume and feedback and an awful PA. My closest friend led the way. Overall I think several hundred people fled in frustration. Saw the Sugar tour and they terrific. As others have observed, recent albums have been most enjoyable and remarkably fresh sounding given the longevity of his career.

For me, it's a classic. It might not be 100% all killer but it's not far off. Plus side 1 has the outstanding trio of songs - A Good Idea, Changes and Helpless following on from each other.

I've always been a big Hüskers/Bob/Sugar fan and other than Workbook (my all time Bob favourite), this comes close as a perfect LP. It's one that I still play regularly.

advertisement

Back