advertisement

How does Linn Klout sound compared to Rega Brio-R, Naim Nait XS2, Croft GCI, Exposure Dual 4 R.

Chris81

pfm Member
Hello,

I have never heard any Linn amplifier, source or anything from this company.

From the Englisch companies I have heard and owned:
Rega Brio-R: Very nice little amp, maybe not the last word in refinement, bass power, imaging or control but I have listend for hours with it. Very nice (a bit) warm mids, clear heights and agile, punchy bass. Very good PRaT. I really enjoyed the little brick often more then much pricier amps up to 5.000€.

Naim Nait XS2: I can't count how many of them I have owned. Good one, PRaT, a bit too much midbass and not very controlled deep bass but grove and fun. Heights are a little restrained compared to the Rega but less warm midrange.

Croft GCI: PRaT, bass not that tight but for me the most natural sounding with good volume. Midrange Clear very clear (sometimes close to be bright), heights are airy and seamless extension from the midrange.

Exposure Dual 4 R: Most controlled bass, most power, best imaging, PRaT, clear midrange (also sometimes close to be bright) heights very clear, the most linear sounding from all of them

I'd like to know how does a Linn Klout sound compared to the amp above.

I'm not interested in comparison to other amps nor other advices or namedropping, so please keep the thread clean and ontopic.

Thank you for your help and for respecting my wish.:)

Last edited:
I can’t comment on the exposure model you mention because I haven’t heard one but the klout is a great amp, weighty, solid, controlled, I preferred it to any Naim amplification I’ve heard but others may disagree... but then I particularly like Linn amplification. It’s definitely better than the Brio by a fair margin but it is a much more expensive amplifier. The price new with a Kairn was over £4K, nearly ten times the price of a Brio R so it should be better. One of the best things about the Klout is the looks and the build quality which are just outstanding. The 2250 is actually a better amp, espresso with a Dynamic PSU but the Klout often sells for more because people are seduced by its looks and build.

@TLS : What does the lineup mean?

@linnfomaniac83 : Thank you, how would you describe the difference between the Rega Brio R or the Naim amplifiers? Is Linn also part of the "PRaT" company group? How are/is the heights, midrange, bass compared to the house sound from Naim and Rega? The price difference don't tell the whole story IMHO. As I sayed I liked the Rega Brio-R much more then way pricier amps, for example T+A PA 2000 R for nearly 5.000€. The T+A is without a doubt better in hifi terms, but the Rega let me enjoy my music much more. With the T+A I listened for 3-4h and thought, okay I like to do other things now, then I switched to the Brio-R and listend another 5-6 hours further. So the question for me is then, which one is really the better amplifier.;)

I struggle to see how you intend to compare power-ampflifiers against integrated !

Not sure what speakers but guess Harbeth ?

I agree on BrioR description, its a nice satisfying little amp as long as you partner it with easy speakers in smaller room not expecting high spl
Personally I prefer the XS, but sometime Naim is a love/hate thing here

A Linn Kairn/Klout is a nice combo but Klout prices seem to have gone upwards lately, so there may be better alternatives
Later Linn amplication of what I have tried was definately not my cup, boring.

Exposure 4 is two dcades old and will most likely need some service or recap (as would a Klout ?)
Nice powerfull amp, a bit heavy dark, with 21 pre

Croft gci may be from the "bad" period ?

I would add alternatives to your list depending on rest of setup
Such as Quad and Sugden, but there are so many others

Edit ups sorry now seeing your not interested in other options (which I think is strange)

@integrated vs. poweramplifier: I have a dac with volume control so I don't need a preamp section inevitably. If someone compares the sound to one of the integrated or poweramplifier from the first post I (maybe) can get a clue how the Linn Klout would sound. If someone compare it to another amp or suggest another amp (which I'm not interested in) it would be meaningless. Therefore I asked so precisely.

@speakers: It doesn't matter because I'm only interested to know the main differences between the house sounding of the companies, that is the other reason why it doesn't matter for me if it is a integrated or poweramplifier. I don't look for an advice for an amp for my speakers because my Odeon No.28.S.E. are a prototype which isn't available.

@the naim love/hate thing: Agree.

@the rest: Thank you nonetheless? (sorry for my English).

It’s hard for me to really quantify the differences between Linn and Naim, I actually like both but it’s been a while (15 years or so) since I actually compared the NAP 250 and Klout but here goes, they both sound great, however the Naim has a more projected mid range, it’s very forward sounding, the Klout is a little more laid back, it’s a warmer sounding amp and has a deeper soundstage. The Rega Brio is absolutely superb for the money but it lacks the depth and control of the Klout.

but no, no Harbeth, Odeon No.28.S.E

(sorry for my English).

Don't be; it's pretty good and certainly superior to many native English out there !:). Your speakers are in your avatar; dead giveaway !

Sorry, can't comment on your line-up (list of potential items), although I've long considered the Brio R as a good British all-rounder in the lower output integrated stakes

@linnfomaniac83 : That is the kind of information I'm looking for. Thank you. How about the PRaT factor?
@Mike Reed: Thank you, I google the words I don't know but as you know in English (I really like the language) there are so many alternatives fore the same meaning of a word, but it always depends upon the context (next complicated thing: prepositions).

Last edited:
@linnfomaniac83 : That is the kind of information I'm looking for. Thank you. How about the PRaT factor?
@Mike Reed: Thank you, I google the words I don't know but as you know in English (I really like the language) there are so many alternatives fore the same meaning of a word, but it always depending at the context (next complicated thing: prepositions).
I still find Linn amps fast and engaging, I suppose that qualifies them as having good PRaT.

Thank you, I google the words I don't know but as you know, in English (I really like the language) there are so many alternatives for the same meaning of a word, but it always depends upon the context (next complicated thing: prepositions).

Synonyms abound in English, often with subtle usage differences. Homophones and homonyms allow much humour through the use of puns. Prepositions are largely the same as those on the continent, although there are a number of exceptions and cases of different usage. At least we only have one gender as opposed to Germany (or France, Spain, Italy etc.)

Last edited:
Synonyms abound in English, often with subtle usage differences. Homophones and homonyms, allow much humour through the use of puns. Prepositions are largely the same as those on the continent, although there are a number of exceptions and cases of different usage. At least we only have one gender as opposed to Germany (or France, Spain, Italy etc.)

You are lucky! Here we have three genders. Male, Female and ?

It’s hard for me to really quantify the differences between Linn and Naim, I actually like both but it’s been a while (15 years or so) since I actually compared the NAP 250 and Klout but here goes, they both sound great, however the Naim has a more projected mid range, it’s very forward sounding, the Klout is a little more laid back, it’s a warmer sounding amp and has a deeper soundstage. The Rega Brio is absolutely superb for the money but it lacks the depth and control of the Klout.

I usually characterize it like this:

The Naim players went into the studio and knocked the track out in one rather enthusiastic, but less than perfect, take.
The Linn players went into the studio, practiced several times, ironed out the rough edges then made the recording.

Which you prefer is, of course, an individual choice.

I usually characterize it like this:

The Naim players went into the studio and knocked the track out in one rather enthusiastic, but less than perfect, take.
The Linn players went into the studio, practiced several times, ironed out the rough edges then made the recording.

Which you prefer is, of course, an individual choice.
Seems like we’ve drawn similar conclusions but with different words, I can trust my ears now. I prefer Linn’s approach personally.

I think I could swap out my linn power amplifiers for naim and not notice a huge difference. One of the advantages of being active is it puts less stress on the amps and this reduces the reliance on performance.
The preamp however I find to be much more important and I wouldn’t be without one.
Passive it depends on the demands of the speaker and the Klout will drive many speakers that would send a 250 into thermal shutdown. Even the latest Klout will require service by now though.

advertisement

Back