advertisement

How do you know when to stop?

Yes, exactly what's happened to me. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with my system now. I keep on repeating this mantra to myself: You are not changing anything. You are not changing anything. You are not changing anything...
That new NAP300DR is still available from Paul Money ... :D

From.my perspective I love the hands on aspect on trying to improve my system. Thankfully even though I am good at all manner of practical "things" I know where to draw the line so I have not messed around with my DAC or streamer but have made considerable improvements to other items such as making my own semi omni directional isobaric speakers and stands, multi layer turntable platters and god knows how many different types of cables.
It's the curiosity factor that keeps me looking at ways to improve but I am careful with my music budget and I am not in the least bit swayed by brand names or hifi fashion. I guess I will eventually stop but I have been at it since 1992 and it's been a rewarding and educational hobby.

Just go to a Hi Fi Show.
It really doesn't matter which show...
Listen to everything..
Enjoy the experience
Meet people.
Be 'in on' hi-fi. Say hello to noted manufacturers.. you know who I mean..
Talk Hi-Fi bollox in the bar over an excessively expensive and dry hot dog.
Go home.
Realise that your system is pretty damned good.
Relax.

When to stop? When your living (listening) room becomes too hot to handle. My living room is now reaching 26°C from late afternoon onwards and it's about as much as I can take. I've got a Meaco fan which does a decent job of keeping my body temperature within limits at its lowest setting. But once it starts hitting 27°C, well that's where I draw the line. The fan is intrusively loud at the next highest setting so there's only one thing for it: I need to move into my bedroom, for 6 weeks or so, and fire up System B.

Not even Addis pads can help me here!

I still really want to try a higher-end amp to benchmark the XTZ. Part of me still wants to go a bit nuts but I think I'll keep it broadly sensible.

So any recommendations for something that'll give the Kefs enough to keep them happy? I understand they thrive on a beefier amp so something 200WpC and upward into 4ohms would probably be a good starting point.

I think I'd like to keep box-sprawl to a minimum so integrated preferred - whilst the XTZ has stuff like a DAC and phono stage built-in I don't use them so that's not really a necessity. Budget perhaps up to £2k-ish? Ideally nothing too old as I don't want to deal with worn caps etc.

advertisement

Back