advertisement

How do you find interesting music ...

Originally posted by matt j
I'm a complete novice where classical is concerned, although i feel the urge to listen to some piano based classical, is there anybody to listen to that fits the bill for a beginner?

Try Beethoven's most listened-to sonatas, commonly found together on the same recording, "Moonlight", "Pathétique", "Apassionata". A blend of great melody and virtuoso bravura. And don't forget Chopin - a "greatest hits" selection is a good way into "the poet of the piano".

If you want orchestra with your piano, Beethoven's five piano concertos are a great place to start. Again the great Beethoven combination of gorgeous melody and virtuosity.

There are plenty of good, cheap recordings around. Some of the older recordings are great, both from the interpretation and recording points of view.

Originally posted by matt j
I'm a complete novice where classical is concerned, although i feel the urge to listen to some piano based classical, is there anybody to listen to that fits the bill for a beginner?

Radio3 is your friend. Just listen to the radio and buy what you discover.

I'm something of a beginner at this myself, but I've got Pizarro's recordings on Linn - the Chopin in particular might be well-suited for a 'learner'.

If your tastes also extend towards the Jazzy end of the spectrum, then this might get you going too.

There, that's my classical knowledge exposed for all to mock. Let's hope a grown-up comes along soon.

S.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Re: Critical list

Another one to check out on the Stuart Maconie front is 'Stuart MacOnies Freak Zone' on Radio 6...I listen to it on t'internet...well worth silding on over http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/ and having a lisen to an old show...lots of left field stuff and some real crackers amongst the new stuff.

Cheers

Paul

PFM !

I had alook in the Krautrock thread the other day and then low and behold i saw a double CD by Amon Duul II in Fopp for just a fiver. At this price CD's are almost disposable if shite. Initial impressions where; what a load of .......noise !
I've played it through a couple of times now and it is really growing on me, it also has the desired effect of driving my wife and kids out of the living room as they are definately not converts :D

BTW the album in question is called Amon Duul II - Anthology.

Originally posted by Sid and Coke
PFM !

I had alook in the Krautrock thread the other day and then low and behold i saw a double CD by Amon Duul II in Fopp for just a fiver. At this price CD's are almost disposable if shite. Initial impressions where; what a load of .......noise !

I think your initial impressions were correct!

Most of my vinyl comes from

www.freakemporium.com

A British site that has a wide selection of the obscure and the well-known, with good album descriptions, eg

"180 gram vinyl edition of the great debut from 1969 by one of the main acts of the underground rock scene of the early '70's. Freaky acid prog vibes combine with a laid back west coast feel. Great musicianship highlighted by really long jamming tracks, assorted instrumentation and good songs that will appeal to fans of Mighty Baby, Man etc. Thick card sleeve."

...taken at random from the psychedelic section. Band began with 'S' but I've just forgotten the name!

Average album price around £12. A printed catalogue is available - great bathtime reading.

advertisement

Back