advertisement

How do I use a headphone amp with Quad DIN preamps?

Nagraboy

Ausculta fili
Having recently sold my late grey Quad 34 preamp, I’m left with an early 34 DIN model and a 33 too.

I’m thinking of adding a headphone amp to the system. I did think of just getting a DAC with headphone output but then I’d not be able to listen to vinyl. So the options are to either use a headphone amp between the 33/34 and 303, or more preferably use the tape outputs. With the latter I’m not sure if it’s possible or not, as I notice the tape sockets are labelled both input and output. Would I need a special cable or would one of my existing Quad DIN-RCA cables work?

Having recently sold my late grey Quad 34 preamp, I’m left with an early 34 DIN model and a 33 too.

I’m thinking of adding a headphone amp to the system. I did think of just getting a DAC with headphone output but then I’d not be able to listen to vinyl. So the options are to either use a headphone amp between the 33/34 and 303, or more preferably use the tape outputs. With the latter I’m not sure if it’s possible or not, as I notice the tape sockets are labelled both input and output. Would I need a special cable or would one of my existing Quad DIN-RCA cables work?

You can use the tape output to feed a headphone amp but you would most likely need a different adapter as the ones you have are probably for input. Only way to be sure would be to try them out (or dismantle them and check the connections on the Din plug) Worthwhile looking online for the Service manuals for the 33/34 (used to be freely available from the likes of Dada)

When I had a 33/303 set up I did just that, but I also picked up an old QED speaker switching unit that had a headphone option (QED ME30) and that worked quite well connected to the 303 speaker outputs.

@miktec

Ah right, I didn’t know that DIN-RCA cables were directional, how can you tell I wonder?

I’ve seen a cable on eBay that has 4 RCA plugs and a DIN plug for use with tape recorders. Seems I could use one of those and just leave the input RCAs loose. I had assumed there’d be a way to get a cable without the unneeded extra plugs. I’ve also read that the 33 tape output has three output levels all of which are very low by modern standards, the highest being 100mV.

advertisement

Back