advertisement

How do I upgrade my Crossovers?

Sovereign

pfm Member
I would love to upgrade my cross overs, How do I find out what components to use specific for the speakers, i.e. rating of caps etc? I have ATC scm 35's
Thanks

Once you've done that, the general opinion is that you should take out any electrolytic capacitors, which can degrade over the years, and substitute them with MKT capacitors of the same values. But bear in mind that expensive caps will not necessarily sound better than cheap ones. They might, or they might not. You could start experimenting with a good, solid brand like Mundorf or Clarity Cap, starting with the cheaper versions.

Those supersounds were a great swap in my proac ebs (atc scm50 mid/bass drivers) crossover, though they are near 30 years old.

May be worth concentrating on Tweeter/Mids as they are supposed to respond better to polypropylene over electrolytic cap upgrades. The bass caps will probably be a very high uF value and therefore much more expensive and huge as polyprops. With the bass being less fussy of bipolar electros (I woz told) its worth leaving those, or just 'recapping' them for the bipolar alcap ones which are about £1.

advertisement

Back