advertisement

How do I stop a CD player from "jumping"?

surv1v0r

I have a fairly old, long unused Sony CDP-790n CD player; when attempting to play CDs, it "jumps" back at various points - e.g. going from 10 minutes 22 seconds to 10 minutes 23 seconds and then back to 10 minutes 22 seconds again, after doing this a few times it moves on, only to do the same sort of thing later on.

I have opened up the case and can see no obvious reason. I had considered working the mechanism back and forth a few times to make sure that it was moving freely, putting some light machine oil on the shaft and cleaning the laser lens with IPA and a cotton bud but would rather not make things worse than they already are.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try? It is quite a handy spare CD player and I would rather not consign it to the skip.

Thanks

Hi, I have done this several times on Micromega cd players which were prone to this problem. The work involved 1. Strip out the mechanism 2. Clean with a sovent, the bar 3. Respray with a thermal grease I got from Maplins.
You could always buy a new laser mech for it. I found one here : http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=280804282296
This is from the USA but im sure you could find one in the UK
Hope this helps

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Its probably been mis-reading for a while, but not enough to jump. If the cleaner and grease works, it might be better than before.

I have also found (if applicable) it can help to put a disc of blu tack in the clamping mechanism - the 'puck' part that drops into place to hold the CD. Adds mass, stability, but make sure it is neat. If the puck can drop off centre, its probably best not to do it as it will increase vibrations.

It can always be removed.

Replace it with a Turntable - it works every time.

o_Oh
Tried that; I get no sound at all and it seems to skip even worse than the CD player does ;)

As it happens, I have found a recent VERY detailed article on refurbishing the exact same model of CD player. (LINK) I only wish I understood some of it :(

Before going mad with stripping & cleaning I suggest cleaning the laser.
They get covered in dust & smearing on the glass & don't read the disc & that throws the tracking mechanism into confusion & it looses the track it was reading.

You MUST be careful & YOU MUST use a liquid photo lens clearer with a photo lens tissue sheet.
A "don't touch" practice run first is a good idea to get your hand positioning & your dexterity right.
A light touch, quick & confident dexterity is important
Wrap the tissue around a cotton bug, apply 2 drops of liquid & CAREFULLY & in 1 or 2 circular movements only, wipe the laser.
Leave the liquid to dry for a few minutes, then repeat the operation with a new tissue.
Then leave it - don't touch & leave it to dry.

advertisement

Back