advertisement

Housing market

Don't follow this part, Mandryka. What has the council to do with your letting out a property and why do they have a say-so? Ah, just thought! Benefit claimants. I believe that rents used to come directly from the council but now it's directly from the tenant (not a good change from my sister's p.o.v.).

Yes and this is a result of Conservative policy, which is opposed to rent payment direct to landlords, except in very specific circumstances. And this in a context where gaining possession for arrears is a delicate, lengthy and expensive process, and recovering the debt may be unfeasible. What it means to me is that I won't take on people who don't have a very high income:rent ratio, effectively excluding everyone on benefits from my properties. I know many landlords who have the same policy as I do.

The government's approach to rent paid direct is a strategy which works to the detriment of the least well off, effectively dramatically reducing the options available for them.

I don't do politics, as this could have easily been a Labour policy also; in fact, probably more so. I can't see any real advantages to councils except inasmuch as it may reduce admin. (but surely not by much). The obvious consequential rationale is that if you give the rent to the tenant, there's no guarantee that this would be used as rent. I assume the rent would be in the form of housing benefit, topped up if required.

I simply can't see a sensible rationale for changing the previous benefit rent payment scheme; maybe you can? I've not been in this position, but my sister etc. still is, with a small portfolio of benefit tenants.

Yes and this is a result of Conservative policy, which is opposed to rent payment direct to landlords, except in very specific circumstances. And this in a context where gaining possession for arrears is a delicate, lengthy and expensive process, and recovering the debt may be unfeasible. What it means to me is that I won't take on people who don't have a very high income:rent ratio, effectively excluding everyone on benefits from my properties. I know many landlords who have the same policy as I do.

The government's approach to rent paid direct is a strategy which works to the detriment of the least well off, effectively dramatically reducing the options available for them.

Sadly too true, a gift for the perps who stop paying after 6 months and leave you a years worth of rent gone and the cost of getting the property up to scratch. Unfortunately a real disincentive to renting to folks on benefit.

Great time to be trying to find somewhere to live, hells teeth...

Not only can I not find anywhere (always 20th in the queue as other people seem to be able to sit watching housing websites and clicking refresh all day long) but it is going to cost me a small fortune to move all said and done, decided to sell the car as A) I can't afford anywhere with parking for two vehicles and B) I'll need the money for the move anyway.

And this is just to rent, god knows how much worse it is for buyers.

In the mean time, buy my stuff in the classifieds :D

Going back to fixer-uppers - I told my boss about my predicament and he mentioned what I'd already thought of about buying something needing work, I told him they mainly go to auction now because they fetch silly money even with work required. Just look at this madness, guide prices to actual final price!

https://www.sdlauctions.co.uk/auction/639/national-property-auction-2022-08-25/

thanks for that . nice flat in coventry at 80k . seems a good deal

https://www.sdlauctions.co.uk/property/37385/apartment-for-auction-coventry/

this fixer upper looks nice though overlooking the country

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/126471125#/?channel=RES_BUY

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/126462572#/?channel=RES_BUY

Going back to fixer-uppers - I told my boss about my predicament and he mentioned what I'd already thought of about buying something needing work, I told him they mainly go to auction now because they fetch silly money even with work required. Just look at this madness, guide prices to actual final price!

https://www.sdlauctions.co.uk/auction/639/national-property-auction-2022-08-25/

You will not get a house at a good price through the internet. You need to get into a good relationship with estate agents on the ground in neighbourhoods you’re interested in. That means letting them know that you’re able to move quickly and that you’re in need, not just another chancer looking for a cheap bargain.

You will not get a house at a good price through the internet. You need to get into a good relationship with estate agents on the ground in neighbourhoods you’re interested in. That means letting them know that you’re able to move quickly and that you’re in need, not just another chancer looking for a cheap bargain.

It is the opposite for me, I'd rather get the right place that ticks the boxes than be limited by a small selective search area. Within reason I'm not bothered what local area I live in.

It's all moot anyway as I can't afford to buy anything, but as I've mentioned renting is just as bad due to demand.

It is the opposite for me, I'd rather get the right place that ticks the boxes than be limited by a small selective search area. Within reason I'm not bothered what local area I live in.

It's all moot anyway as I can't afford to buy anything, but as I've mentioned renting is just as bad due to demand.

Then you need to butter up a lot of agents. Or pay internet prices.

I expect the heat will will soon come out of house prices for a few months. I also expect rents to continue to be high. Agents always say that when the market’s bad for sales, the market booms for rentals.

Nice location if you want your van emptied of all its tools every night.
I can arrange that FOC in my leafy suburb of Leeds at the moment. A mate has had his van done twice this month. But hasn't this always been the case? Where I used to live only a fool left anything in his car overnight, and going back further I remember the Blaupunkt Handbag days of the 90s. Back then I had a card that I left in the car window. It read: "ALARMED. IMMOBILIZED. NO VALUABLES. RADIO CRAP DON'T BOTHER." Car crime and burglary has fallen enormously since then.

I can arrange that FOC in my leafy suburb of Leeds at the moment. A mate has had his van done twice this month. But hasn't this always been the case? Where I used to live only a fool left anything in his car overnight, and going back further I remember the Blaupunkt Handbag days of the 90s. Back then I had a card that I left in the car window. It read: "ALARMED. IMMOBILIZED. NO VALUABLES. RADIO CRAP DON'T BOTHER." Car crime and burglary has fallen enormously since then.

Yes it's none existent in most half decent areas these days. Of which that isn't one!

Yes it's none existent in most half decent areas these days. Of which that isn't one!
I'm not sure I agree with that. Pudsey is generally regaded as a decent area, but as I say my pals had his van done twice in a month. The scratters must be round twice a day in places like Bramley.

i never forget the day one of my sons got his housing benefit cheque ... £600 , went entirely on drink !!

You don't say if it was just for him or a good old booze-up for family and mates, Phil, in which case the benefit money benefitted a lot more people and your son deserves a charity award. :D

Just look at this madness, guide prices to actual final price!

From a Norwich p.o.v., there are some nice bargains there, but there are areas and areas, of course.

but as I've mentioned renting is just as bad due to demand.

Whereas property prices, esp. at the lower end, will be under severe pressure and lose equity over the coming year, the sheer lack of rental accommodation, government intervention re. increasing landlord pressures, BTL mortgage increases and the fall-out from repossessions etc. are unlikely to bring rents down anytime soon, i.m.o. Incidentally, I'd also expect property auction prices to plummet as the market teeters. You don't bid on a DIY property if valuations are in a downturn.

advertisement

Back