advertisement

Housing market

6k just happens to be the ending balance, but it's not the relevant number either in reality, or to calculate the interest ... or to calculate the yearly IR. The average account balance over the year is a more relevant number.

Edit: some of these accounts allow one withdrawal per year. Imagine the saver withdraws £5000 in month 11, leaving £1000 at the end of the year. Again, the end balance (£1000) wouldn't be the basis for calculating the yearly interest rate. The average over the year is more relevant.
I know how it works, darren. I have been saving all of my life.

I would be disappointed if the ending balance is £6k having paid in £500pm because that alone is £6k.

Some on here could do with reading and properly understanding this:

https://www.investopedia.com/personal-finance/apr-apy-bank-hopes-cant-tell-difference/
Who do you have in mind? @Bob McC clearly knows what the final account balance would be if paying in £500pm, as do I.

The post from @Ponty lacked detail and imo Bob was looking to make that clear for those who don’t understand APR, APY and AER. Let’s face it, financial institutions deliberately try to use headline numbers that will suck people in. I’m pretty sure from the type of account Ponty referred to most people just want to see a number in £££ they will have at the end of the offer term for a given monthly amount paid in.

For example, this is why the Yorkshire BS advertises a 5% AER rate but gives an illustration showing what people really do want to see and see it at a glance, which in this case is interest added of £161.92 over the year for £500pm paid in. This imo is essentially what Bob said and I suspect people knew what he was saying. A few just have to be smug.

£500 per month saved at 5.00% gross† p.a./AER* would lead to a balance of £6161.92 at the end of 12 months. We have worked this out assuming a £500 deposit is made on the first day of each month throughout the 12 months the account is held. No withdrawals are made, the interest earned is added to the account and no changes are made to the current interest rate.

This projection is provided for illustrative purposes only and does not take into account your individual circumstances.
Source : Yorkshire BS

Was admiring some beautiful tiny studio flats in a swiss mountain village only 39 sq m at 170 swiss francs ...tiny and 3 bed for about 975k with a lovely position. Its great fun to look at property in other countries

I know how it works, darren. I have been saving all of my life.

I would be disappointed if the ending balance is £6k having paid in £500pm because that alone is £6k.

Who do you have in mind? @Bob McC clearly knows what the final account balance would be if paying in £500pm, as do I.

The post from @Ponty lacked detail and imo Bob was looking to make that clear for those who don’t understand APR, APY and AER. Let’s face it, financial institutions deliberately try to use headline numbers that will suck people in. I’m pretty sure from the type of account Ponty referred to most people just want to see a number in £££ they will have at the end of the offer term for a given monthly amount paid in.

For example, this is why the Yorkshire BS advertises a 5% AER rate but gives an illustration showing what people really do want to see and see it at a glance, which in this case is interest added of £161.92 over the year for £500pm paid in. This imo is essentially what Bob said and I suspect people knew what he was saying. A few just have to be smug.

Source : Yorkshire BS
Spot on Brian.
I gave up banging my head against the wall.

What is being referenced is the statement that IR was 2.5% - and 2.5% is clearly a mistake (slip of the brain maybe, I certainly have my share of those).

What is being referenced is the statement that IR was 2.5% - and 2.5% is clearly a mistake (slip of the brain maybe, I certainly have my share of those).
The post from Ponty lacked detail and detail is important, it’s why the industry provides illustrations.

By the time this discussion/controversy is concluded, the account would've matured anyway, and you'd know exactly what the accrued interest was. :D

Landlords quitting and selling up is what many people want to happen, right…..?
Not much of a business which can’t cope with 2.5% base rates (will be higher IMHO). Great for long term landlords as supply will reduce, plus of course the build to rent big boys.

Gov stats are showing that landlords are selling up. Very large intakes of Capital Gains Tax are being reported.

And now reports that many banks are withdrawing many of their BTL mortgage products - so some landlords will not be able to roll into a new mortgage and will have no alternative other than to sell up.

I am not totally against BTL - but I do think all BTL landlords should be required to have much higher equity interest in their properties - 30-50% would be more sustainable.

Gov stats are showing that landlords are selling up. Very large intakes of Capital Gains Tax are being reported.

And now reports that many banks are withdrawing many of their BTL mortgage products - so some landlords will not be able to roll into a new mortgage and will have no alternative other than to sell up.

I am not totally against BTL - but I do think all BTL landlords should be required to have much higher equity interest in their properties - 30-50% would be more sustainable.

Totally agree. I think the amount of over leveraged BTL owners needs to be flushed out. When things get tight for them, they will just try to unload it onto their tenants...

Crazy , that article said 107 people applied for 1 flat in 48 hours in london and went for over the rental price

Its really bad news if rental supply reduces as rents are climbing and becoming more and more unaffordable

Crazy , that article said 107 people applied for 1 flat in 48 hours in london and went for over the rental price

Its really bad news if rental supply reduces as rents are climbing and becoming more and more unaffordable
This is the thing.

I'm not sure what drives what looks to me like hate toward private landlords, we need them in the current UK housing system. I would like more council houses/flats at affordable prices but we just don't have that structure. Reality is what it is. Driving out private landlords just reduces the pool of rental properties.

Yes have some dear friends who have a reasonable deposit but no where near enough for a house so they are forced to rent .

Yes have some dear friends who have a reasonable deposit but no where near enough for a house so they are forced to rent .

In the current market I've narrowed it down that I'd need to spend £175-200k for something that fits my needs, not a chance in hell I can afford that. It's alright saying 10% deposit but 10% wouldn't be enough because once you knock that off the price it would leave an amount they wouldn't lend me anyway.

If first time buyers are being literally blocked from the market, then it's a sign things have come to a head. In many ways, a first time buyers mortgage is the most 'true' mortgage of any. The rest are just leveraged off an existing asset price. Once first time buyers are boycotting the market, watch out IMO...

advertisement

Back