advertisement

Housing market

I know of a few people who bought houses in the early 00's before the crash at overinflated prices, it's only in the past couple of years that their houses have now a similar value to what they originally paid and there's nothing to say that these prices will continue to escalate they may indeed plateau or even fall.

Wanna see a bunch of Estate Agents/marketing bods talking strategy?

No?

Me neither, yet I found this video somewhat interesting. The 'players?' 'contestants?' . . . er, no, let's call them participants, really couldn't agree on what drives house pricing (!), and question the validity of online 'portals' such as Rightmove as a marketing tool, etc. Also notable was the lingua franca, the buzz words, flying across the table. No wonder home owners find themselves regarding the roof over their heads as an investment to be exploited.

John

Last edited:
I know of a few people who bought houses in the early 00's before the crash at overinflated prices, it's only in the past couple of years that their houses have now a similar value to what they originally paid and there's nothing to say that these prices will continue to escalate they may indeed plateau or even fall.
There were 2 bumps in the road in recent times - about 1989-90 and 2008. Each one lasted maybe 5 years. Other than that prices *in most areas* have kept pace with inflation and as you say in London etc they have far outstripped salaries and inflation. I know 2 pals of mine bought a shared flat in about 1988, in the then new Docklands developments, with a bit of help from one set of parents. Cue crash. One later sold his half to his flatmate at a modest loss, the parents took a bath on about £20k (they were loaded, descended from a brewing family) and the other one stayed on and ate the big mortgage before moving on. Some other friends were hit by negative equity in the early 90s, the same applied. Bought in '88, cue crash, sold in '92, negative equity. They ended up with a loan of £14k on a house worth about £50k that they no longer owned, having paid c.£64k for it a couple of years previously. Ouch. Another friend, a workmate, had a similar tale, having paid £50k for a house in Leeds at a similar time. I bought an identical house, literally on the other side of the street, for £40k in 1995. Similar tales apply in 2008, I moved back to the UK from France in 2007 and looked at housing in Hull. Deciding that I'd rather live in the sea than in Hull I gave up and rented a little place until I worked out what I wanted to do. Good move, the job evaporated and housing prices collapsed. I moved to Leeds and rented, I could have ended up taking a proper bath on that one. Prices were pretty static post crash until and after I bought this place 8 years ago at the end of 2014. They were very steady until 2017-18, only in the last couple of years have I seen some dramatic jumps in value. I have however seen +50% in value overall in the 8 years, judging by local sold prices, which is about 5% a year, with compounding. My pension investment has outstripped this *some* years but not every year, and bear in mind that my pension is actually invested in companies that do work, not just piles of bricks, and is moved around by investment managers who want to optimise return.

One thing I have noticed is that rich areas are getting richer and poor areas poorer. Housing in Bradford, Barnsley and Grimsby is going nowhere. Nice bits of Leeds, Harrogate, York, Lincoln, Jesus. Hang on to your hat. I am surethat this is echoed elsewhere.

The worst kind of places are where the locals are generally not well off but because their town is a convenient commute from one or more cities then they become desirable and unaffordable.

I've always lived within spitting distance of both Nottingham and Derby but local wages are terrible, great towns for city workers to live in though and hoover up all the houses.

here were 2 bumps in the road in recent times - about 1989-90 and 2008. Each one lasted maybe 5 years

The 1989/91 bump was a stinker (in Thanet at least) where so many keys were handed back, not that this achieved anything. Yes, it lasted about 5 years as I sold and bought end of 1996. I really don't recall the 2008 one as more than a 'plateauing' with slight dips here 'n' there (in Norwich). However, being in my final resting place, as it were, I probably paid less attention except to follow the news etc. There was no visual sign of 'for sale' boards proliferating unduly.

Clearing out old papers recently though, it was in and just before 2008/9 that 6%+ was quite achievable on 1 year bonds and close for easy acc's acc'ts. One forgets the good old days of savings income; all except ISAs taxed then, of course. Really don't think we'll reach that income range again, but after the moribund last few years, even NS&I are competitive with P.B.s at 3.15% from the Feb. draw. Bit of a no-brainer for reasonable dollops of spare cash now.

Last edited:
Wanna see a bunch of Estate Agents/marketing bods talking strategy? The 'players?' 'contestants?' . . . er, no, let's call them participants, really couldn't agree on what drives house pricing (!)

I think house prices are all about supply and demand - both of houses, but more importantly of mortgage loans (cheap money). If the supply of credit shrinks (or interest rates go up significantly) prices are bound to fall - even if it takes a while to generate sufficient number of forced sellers.

I think house prices are all about supply and demand - both of houses, but more importantly of mortgage loans (cheap money). If the supply of credit shrinks (or interest rates go up significantly) prices are bound to fall - even if it takes a while to generate sufficient number of forced sellers.

That’s pretty much the long and the short of it IMHO.

Accidental landlords inheriting and BTL landlords being the only ones able to afford mortgages.

There was a row of 8 houses built near us last year. 4 are up to let.

« The number of available homes to rent is up by 13% compared with last year, the biggest annual jump since May 2013, while new properties coming up for rent are up 5%«

That’s Rightmove stats.

Anyone care to hazard an explanation as to what’s going on?

Read all about it here

https://www.yourmortgage.co.uk/buy-to-let/average-rents-hit-record-high-level-of-1172-a-month/
gosh doesnt seem that way here , massive shortgages and fb full of requests with little stock

The price of our house is only marginally more than 19 years ago when we bought it, adjusting for inflation with https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

It can be quite deceiving. I'm sure London and other areas have beaten inflation, but then others have gotten cheaper adjusted for inflation.

People who bought in the 90s or earlier likely did much better!

As ever, it's about Location, Location, Location...

Parts of Nottingham really lagged behind much of the country (certainly where I live) until about 5 years ago and then prices started catching up with other areas to around the national average / slightly above. Meanwhile properties down south and other hot spots of the UK have probably quadrupled if not more...

Bristol was in the (BBC) news today, as lettings as there is such a dearth of letting prop's that to get one, the potential tenant is having to offer above the asking price; £50 mth + in many cases.

Just done a search in the place I grew up below £200k, got one result. lol. Not bad for an old pit pony town with naff all going on.

I don't even think a house price crash is going to solve this, or more to the point if we do get one that severe then buying a house is probably going to be a long way down the list, after 'hunting squirrels with a home made bow and foraging for wild plants'.

noticed on facebook folks trying to rent houses with illegally high deposits . of course no one polices this so they get away with it sadly

noticed on facebook folks trying to rent houses with illegally high deposits . of course no one polices this so they get away with it sadly

Not a good idea IMO if it’s an assured shorthold tenancy. Tell them that they will probably be unable to use a fast track eviction process and the judge may be very unsympathetic to discretionary grounds under s8. I do not believe that they will be able to insure the deposit.

I notice that homelessness was on the up in Sept 22 in Scotland and that France is also seeing a significant increase - I’m not sure if the explanations are the same in both cases.

ah thats a not a deposit. by law you can only charge 5 weeks rent as a deposit
When I lived and worked in Germany I had to put up a 3 month rent deposit plus a months rent in advance for our flat. To my surprise that deposit was put into its own interest bearing account by the landlord and each year received a statement showing the interest paid. When I left 4 years later I got the whole lot back plus the interest. This was decades ago when Germany still had the DM.

DV

advertisement

Back