advertisement

Household heating: any major advances in the past 15 years?

You might be able to get a free or heavily discounted underground tank from a gas supplier, Calor owns a lot of ours.

Should bring the gas cost down.

Do you need a boiler that big? Price looks around 45kW budget.

Last time i needed a new boiler i did all the work and got a registered fitter to commission and sign it off for under £100.

It's usually a simple plumbing job, just need settings to be checked.

You might be able to get a free or heavily discounted underground tank from a gas supplier, Calor owns a lot of ours.

Should bring the gas cost down.

Do you need a boiler that big? Price looks around 45kW budget.

Last time i needed a new boiler i did all the work and got a registered fitter to commission and sign it off for under £100.

It's usually a simple plumbing job, just need settings to be checked.

Was this a reply to me? Assuming it was - we simply don't have space for a tank, underground or not, hence the cylinder deliveries.

As with so many of the options there is a caveat which ends up making that option less viable: heat pumps, underfloor, yes can work well if the building can be insulated/draught proofed to a sufficiently high standard but otherwise not so good.
I guess there is an argument which says knock it down and rebuild it to better energy efficiency standards, but as with taking all cars over eg. ten years old off the road and replacing them with more efficient ones, the carbon footprint of the new build replacement takes a long time to get to a point where it offsets the inefficiencies of what it replaces.

We've in the process of buying a house that has oil fired heating. The boiler is new (installed last year) but I'm not sure how much longer that's going to be a viable option for. It has a large garden so there is plenty of room for ground source heating, however given it's quite an old house (dating from 1776) then I'm not sure that's a viable option due to insulation needs, plus it'd also be pretty costly if it also needs underfloor heating.

Was this a reply to me? Assuming it was - we simply don't have space for a tank, underground or not, hence the cylinder deliveries.

Was just in case you hadn't thought of underground; we did shop around for a new cylinder supplier last year and saved about £15 per 46kg propane cylinder.

Still makes our bulk supplies seem cheap though.

We've in the process of buying a house that has oil fired heating. The boiler is new (installed last year) but I'm not sure how much longer that's going to be a viable option for. It has a large garden so there is plenty of room for ground source heating, however given it's quite an old house (dating from 1776) then I'm not sure that's a viable option due to insulation needs, plus it'd also be pretty costly if it also needs underfloor heating.

Very similar age to our house and we too have enough land for GSHP, but to insulate would loose a few feet off the dimensions of each room and take a lot of time/money. Besides the ground floor is Caithness slate, so a real pain to dig down far enough to get the insulation in there and install UFH. I'm afraid these older houses will soon all be knocked down and a 'small estate' built instead.

We did convert an old granary to a high level of insulation and add UFH, which makes that quite energy efficient. An ASHP was an option but we choose not to pursue it for various reasons.

CHE

Very similar age to our house and we too have enough land for GSHP, but to insulate would loose a few feet off the dimensions of each room and take a lot of time/money. Besides the ground floor is Caithness slate, so a real pain to dig down far enough to get the insulation in there and install UFH. I'm afraid these older houses will soon all be knocked down and a 'small estate' built instead.

We did convert an old granary to a high level of insulation and add UFH, which makes that quite energy efficient. An ASHP was an option but we choose not to pursue it for various reasons.

CHE

Relative new build here in 1836; dry lining isn't too bad a job, fiddly bits around the windows and electrical points but it's a good opportunity to put in a bit of conduit. We managed to save the original skirting boards and rearranged some lighting.

High performance multi layer insulation plus a small air gap and a quick skim ended up less then 2" thick, most of the work done by a general factotum under a tenner an hour.

The floor is less important. Made a big difference then a few years later i did the windows and got a couple of chimney sheep. The house runs hotter now and we use noticeably less fuel.

We did refloor one house, took out a foot so my father didn't hit his head on the ceiling; i think virtually below any foundations there.

Relative new build here in 1836; dry lining isn't too bad a job, fiddly bits around the windows and electrical points but it's a good opportunity to put in a bit of conduit. We managed to save the original skirting boards and rearranged some lighting.

High performance multi layer insulation plus a small air gap and a quick skim ended up less then 2" thick, most of the work done by a general factotum under a tenner an hour.

The floor is less important. Made a big difference then a few years later i did the windows and got a couple of chimney sheep. The house runs hotter now and we use noticeably less fuel.

We did refloor one house, took out a foot so my father didn't hit his head on the ceiling; i think virtually below any foundations there.

The home report for the place we've had an offer accepted on says that it had additional insulation fitted between the external stone walls and a plasterboard inner lining when it was refurbished in 2003/2004. Given the age of the house the EPC report isn't actually that bad at 66. Still not sure it'd be good enough for ground source heating though, and all the recommendations to improve it's EPC rating are relatively expensive and for not a lot of ongoing saving (relatively). The only one that looks viable is fitting solar panels but I think they've been optimistic on what that could produce given the cottage is in a conservation area and they wouldn't be allowed anywhere they could be seen from the road.

I suspect putting in underfloor heating would be too expensive to consider though as there would be quite a few rooms to do. If it needed refurbished now then I think it'd be viable, but with the house already refurbished (and to a pretty decent standard) all the work would just be to fit the underfloor heating.

advertisement

Back