advertisement

Hot Tub advice

cutting42

Arrived at B4 Hacker Ergo
Hi pfm massive

My wife and daughter have decided we "need" a hot tub in the garden, I am less convinced but rather than adopting a victorian dad "forbidden" response right out of the box, am going to do some research.

It will need a base building where the location has to be, and style would be more Norwegen/Japanese wooden style hot tub rather than a full disco Jacuzzi although some bubbles have been requested.

Any on here have one, key considerations, costs, concerns? Do they need a water treatment plant in a nearby shed or are they self contained? How much hassle are they, can you leave them full for a long time?

Thanks for any advice.

The ones I've seen are self-contained. They also need quite a lot of testing and chemical adding to prevent very dangerous bacteria growing...at least that's what it seems like due to a very particular friend who has studied the science and is OCD about the topic. He puts a lot of effort it to keep the water safe, possibly he's being OTT.

What can happen if you neglect the chemistry:
https://www.livescience.com/62841-hot-tubs-weird-infections-injuries.html#:~:text=In 2009, researchers in New,way into a person's bloodstream.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/01/mum-got-sepsis-hot-tub-bacteria-infected-shaving-cut-10503581/

we have one, a wood one seats 4 nicely. We found as the weather warms up we hardly used it. Ours is currently empty and may stay that way as it was only getting used in the winter. It is pretty good for getting naked in the winter. Fun in the snow and less so in the rain.

don't bother with an inflatable one, wood or fibreglass all in one. I'd budget for starters for between £3k to £5k for unit, add the base

Yes you do need to test and treat regularly.

A woman I used to work with had a hot tub in her garden. One winter’s morning she went out to have a quick dip, slipped on the icy path and ended up with a horrible broken leg, spending that Christmas in hospital. (I missed the office Christmas meal because I had to cover some meetings for her). So hot tubs get the thumbs down from me.

Don't forget to factor in a dedicated electrical supply. Further, according to some, wiring the hot tub with Kimber cable changes the qualities of the water to match that available at Lourdes.

Money saving tip: - leave the garden hose in the sun all day and then hose the family down at the end of the day with nice solar heated water.

works well in the summer (possibly too well) - we have rigged up an outdoor shower which works well. Took a few years for the neighbours to stop complaining about is stripping off in the garden for a quick rinse.

Good Afternoon All,

Hot tubs - they are on the same list as patio heaters - totally unnecessary but a good way of separating some folk from their money - while they're luxuriating in or under either they can get a warm cosy glow thinking about the environment they're helping to destroy???

Regards

Richard

Definitely start with a cheap inflatable one!!

There is an excellent self contained one at b&q currently reduced to £199 (from £289)

My mate bought one at full price and was more than happy....I've been in it...excellent

Why a cheap one first???
They cost about the same to run....so you can see if you can stomach the 3kwh consumption and the chemicals cost

And you will see if your wife and daughter still use it in a month...without spending the 3 grand plus that others are suggesting you MUST spend

our inflatable one - (about 7 years ago) from B&Q was terrible, deflated quickly, leaked after about a year. Waste of money.

Is that less of an objection if you live somewhere that doesn't have any shortage of water and where 97% of electricity comes from renewables?

For sure. I create a fair bit of wood waste so a wood burning heater is possible but can't get away from the water meter charges, hence how often etc. Chemical costs and impact also play their part. I am in NW London/Herts

My kids were pestering me to get a hot tub for out cottage in the Cairngorms so I bought a cheap inflatable one that's well reviewed to give it a go and see if we'd use it enough before getting a more permanent one. We've had the external power socket installed for it recently but haven't got around to installing it yet.

A woman I used to work with had a hot tub in her garden. One winter’s morning she went out to have a quick dip, slipped on the icy path and ended up with a horrible broken leg, spending that Christmas in hospital. (I missed the office Christmas meal because I had to cover some meetings for her). So hot tubs get the thumbs down from me.
Did you buy it? She could have been legless with the Xmas cheer before she got out the back door.

We recently bought a cheap inflatable £299 which is actually very good and a good way to find out whether you can be bothered long term. We bought a chemical pack as most don’t come with this. However the claims of being a 4 or 6 seater are rubbish, ours is supposed to be a 6 seater but 3 is more realistic unless you all sit with your knees up.

advertisement

Back