advertisement

hot hot hot - tips for keeping cool

Some good tips on keeping cool.

A few more that the OP may find useful.

a) Don't wear a hat, coat, scarf, gloves, jumper, cardigan, etc. They make you feel hotter.
b) Don't turn your central heating on. Or any other heaters, for that matter. Not needed when the weather is this hot.
c) Don't cook a roast dinner. Will heat up the kitchen.
This reminds me of a work story. I was running a project in Dubai, and had engaged the consultancy services of a couple of Brits. On the first day, stepping out of the office for some lunch, the lead Brit refused to take his coat off. It was 42 degrees outside. I had never seen a man more drenched in sweat before. The next day, we decided it was more productive to meet and work in the hotel pool bar.

Temperature is relative to humidity. 35 degrees in low humidity can feel more comfortable than 25 degrees with high humidity. Air-conditioners make a difference by lowering both. Yet I see the use of portable humidifiers circulating water-filled mist to cool rooms. It might feel cool standing in front of one, but it is most assuredly feels warmer in the rest of the room.

I used to like an ambient temperature of 10-15 degrees Celsius. Now, 20-25 degrees feel more comfortable to me. It gets uncomfortable for me above 35 degrees.

I am not really troubled by temperature, high or low. I acclimatise to higher levels of humidity quite well. But the first few days in somewhere like Singapore can be uncomfortable.

Emirates was always pleasant. I recall going to a street market in Kuwait, when the temp was 40°C+. I saw brass bowl I liked and went to pick it up, when my hand was slapped away by the stallholder. He got out what can only be described as an oven glove. I bought the bowl - still have it.

advertisement

Back