Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

hot hot hot - tips for keeping cool

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gintonic, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Darmok

Darmok "cur tali Incustodito dedistis amori"

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

PM your address! (Leeds isnt it) I dont mind a cafetiere. I am not rude enough to reject a coffee. So long as it isnt instant.....

3. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Mmmmm, but what’s the HiFi in the garage like?

4. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

It’s only 22C in my living room!

[​IMG]

Losing weight is an excellent way to stay cool, IME. I haven’t been hot and sweaty once since shedding a couple of stone last year. I took a glass of cold brew outside an hour ago and felt comfier wearing a waistcoat in the stiff breeze.

On the other hand we could just wait for tomorrow, when it won’t be hot. Then we can complain about the unseasonably cool weather.

5. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Leeds it is, Pudsey to be precise. PM en route.

Not disastrous. DAB radio or portable CD, a chipamp, and an old pair of Goodmans bookshelf speakers.

gintonic likes this.
  6. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

I really dont get the media panic, its 32c ffs hardly death valley.

PsB likes this.
  7. gintonic

true nor the close on 50 i experienced in Kuwait.....but our houses are designed to retain heat, and people are feeling uncomfortable.

Louise's laptop keeps overheating and shutting down. My desktop is running ok, as is the NUC

8. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

That’ll do!

9. mjw

mjw pfm Member

At Low Newton drinking pints of Dolly Daydream bitter at the Ship Inn - today’s max 19°.

[​IMG]

10. Somafunk

Somafunk pfm Member

Only 15 degrees and pissing down in Galloway so no need to worry myself about keeping cool, now cleaning the fire out and setting it for lighting later on.

11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

19 deg C in Northumberland? My goodness, have the roads melted yet?

12. gintonic

"outside" is in the shade by the front door

[​IMG]

weather centre is out the back

[​IMG]

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

22C chez moi in the west facing rooms. 25 in the others. Conservatory is a 30-odd degree hellhole, I've got the door open and I've left the cacti to tough it out.

MUTTY1 likes this.
  14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Just been out cycling down the canal paths for a couple of hours. Enough of a breeze not to be too hot, really nice actually.

PS I saw someone walking a cat on a lead. A cat. On a lead. Actually happened.

15. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

Some good tips on keeping cool.

A few more that the OP may find useful.

a) Don't wear a hat, coat, scarf, gloves, jumper, cardigan, etc. They make you feel hotter.
    b) Don't turn your central heating on. Or any other heaters, for that matter. Not needed when the weather is this hot.
    c) Don't cook a roast dinner. Will heat up the kitchen.

gintonic likes this.
  16. palindrome

palindrome Thru a hedge, backwards and forwards.

Are you sure the cat wasn't simply towing staff to it's prefered location? Or delivering 'it' to mouser training central? ;)

John

17. Guinnless

Guinnless pfm Member

You sure the cat wasn't walking the person? ;)

18. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

32C is a normal day for me. You get used to it

Colin L likes this.
  19. Funk

Funk pfm Member

Home is currently sat at a toasty 28 deg C:

[​IMG]
    Thankfully I'm in the office today with air con but I know that it's going to be a pain to try and cool my place down this evening before I go to bed...

Edit: windows are shut and blinds are down to try and minimise heat coming in. It's clearly not working.

20. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Always amuses me. A couple of days over 20C, which most of us have patiently waited half the year for and people are in a panic

OK. If you are stuck in an inner city apartment without a/c especially if you are ill or disabled, you need to take care. The rest? Just chill..literally. Relax into it, stop flapping about waving fans etc. Avoid booze during the day. Wear as little as you can get away with and stay out of direct sunlight.

All above said I'm posting this au naturel..from my sun lounger at Mull Towers. It's a mere 26 ish here with a nice breeze.
    It will be much cooler by evening and 15 degrees and pissing down by tomorrow.
    Don't waste it...