advertisement

Horrendous crimes and musicians.

It's a difficult question as how far does one go? I have a copy of Aerial by Kate Bush and Rolf is playing away on it. She has since excised him from the re-release, but I don't feel the need to smash or not listen to my original copy. Would I own or listen to a Rolf album... no, but then I wouldn't have anyway so it's a moot question. Would I listen to or own Lost Prophets work... definitely not! Hmmmm.

I smash all Rolf Harris records that get donated to the charity I volunteer for.

Same goes for black & white minstrels albums. (sure I have mentioned this before?)

I don’t look up each artist looking for criminal behaviour, but I know Rolf is a wrong un.
Gary Glitter records get smashed as well.

The manager knows that I do it, and she agrees.

One could make a strong argument for doing the exact reverse, i.e. clean them, make them as presentable as possible and stick them in the 50p bin. The more people who do so the lower any market value goes and the less likely they are to be reissued and able to be used as a current revenue stream for the artist. If every charity shop in the land is full of 50p Lostprophets CDs then they will never be reissued so no royalties for the sex offender! Turn Lostprophets into Lostprofits!

One could make a strong argument for doing the exact reverse, i.e. clean them, make them as presentable as possible and stick them in the 50p bin. The more people who do so the lower any market value goes and the less likely they are to be reissued and able to be used as a current revenue stream for the artist. If every charity shop in the land is full of 50p Lostprophets CDs then they will never be reissued so no royalties for the sex offender! Turn Lostprophets into Lostprofits!

I sell decent albums from 25p. and up in the Headway shop. I have limited space for records in the shop (I managed to campaign for them to be moved near the till and 2’ off the floor at least.)
Dead stock takes space, I am unable to wait years for someone to buy an oddity.
I would rather fill the sleeve with something that will shift, and I have stock to sell clogging up my music room.
It needs noting that I throw a lot of records away, irrespective of the crimes, or not, of the artists. I just properly destroy Harris/Glitter records before I bin them.
It’s the least I could do.

I brought this subject up a while ago about Paul Gann, Gary glitter, when his music was used on the film, the joker, someone replied IF we got rid of every artist that was a pervert we would have no-one left, point taken i thought,

If every charity shop in the land is full of 50p Lostprophets CDs then they will never be reissued so no royalties for the sex offender! Turn Lostprophets into Lostprofits!

And nothing for the other members of the band who are guilty by association?

Joining a band with a serial child rapist may not prove to be the best long-term career choice. Other jobs are available.

I can think of one other musician Roy Estrada he played with the Mothers of Invention, Frank Zappa and numerous others. He was sentenced in 1994 for 6 years on a child sex offence on release a few years later was on another charge On a 14 year old girl and was sentenced to 25 years and no parole.

Regards,

Martin

Just had a Google of Jimmy Page, so as to avoid speculating about it here. It was very unpleasant reading. I don't think I'll be buying any Led Zep anytime soon.

Aside from some of the obvious ones already mentioned where they've clearly been convicted of a crime, it's difficult to know where to draw a line, especially considering the dubious world of the 60s/70s groupies etc. which I'm sure most bands took advantage of and now gets passed off as "that's just how things were back then".

Aside from some of the obvious ones already mentioned where they've clearly been convicted of a crime, it's difficult to know where to draw a line, especially considering the dubious world of the 60s/70s groupies etc. which I'm sure most bands took advantage of and now gets passed off as "that's just how things were back then".
Underage girls have always been underaged. I appreciate some southern states had a differing view in the 50s but it appears we can be quite selective in who we choose to castigate.

True... when my sister got married in the mid 70's she & new husband took to the floor for their first dance - Mr Glitter's 'Doing alright with the boys'. They've got a lot of mileage from that tale over the years.

Certainly no Jimmy Saville, but he did make a spectacular error of judgement early in his life. Just the one as far as I’m aware. I’m convinced he was a very decent bloke though. I've a lot of respect for him.

PS So, that’s two I’ve actually met (Peel and Bill Wyman)…

No-one mentioned John Peel yet? ;)

I've got an old Chess label sampler called "Golden Decade" - 16 classic tracks, finishing up with Billy Stewart's totally bonkers version of "Summertime". It also includes "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" by Don & Bob (who?). The sleevenotes describe this as a "title guaranteed to inflame the passions of any decent, self-respecting, pervert" and were written by... John Peel in 1980!

What about Spade Cooley, star Western swing fiddle player and brutal wife murderer? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spade_Cooley

advertisement

Back