advertisement

Horowitz live recordings

Cheese

Bitter lover
There are quite a few pianists I love – but let’s face it, there’s one I never tire of, the good old Volodja. Preferably live. One can never have enough Scriabin Etudes or Moszkovsky miniatures.

I own a few discs and would be interested to know what others might think of them, and suggestions are always welcome. So, my list :
  • Carnegie 1965 : A historic event, as it showed Horowitz for the first time live (in public) since 1957 I think. Impressive indeed except his Chopin which is not enough Parisian and too much Russian to my taste.
  • Carnegie 1966 : Reportedly one of his best live recordings ever, but surprisingly difficult to find other than on s-h vinyl. I’m still looking for this, any hints are welcome.
  • Horowitz at the Met : 1981, beautiful playing but truly horrible recording. The musician used to like a bell-like sound, OK, but this is so exaggerated it’s just painful.

• Horowitz Rediscovered Carnegie 1975: the sound ist just as bad, but also the performance is far from being memorable. I listened to it once or twice. For the record : ‘Richter Rediscovered’ by the same editor is also to be avoided. It looks like the companies wanted to make money by digging up second-rate performances.

• Horowitz in London 1981: listened to it a couple of times when I bought it, then shelved it for some reason. I can’t remember what was on it actually.

• Horowitz plays Rachmaninoff (maybe end of 60’s) : got that on vinyl, probably a mix of several evenings, but fantastic performances in every way (Sonata Nr. 2, Etudes-Tableaux etc.). Parts of it could be found later on a CD called Horowitz Rachmaninov Recital, but I am not sure the interpretations are exactly the same. The vinyl sounds a lot better by the way.
  • Horowitz The Last Romantic: His debut recording for DG. Not exactly a live performance, but recorded (as well as filmed) at his home in Manhattan. The hype made around it was enormous, reviews were mixed at the time as his technique had seen better days – but nowadays I find most of it really charming in its own right.
  • Horowitz the Poet: beautiful Kinderszenen but Brendel plays the D960 better, sorry. Great live sound this time.
  • Horowitz in Moscow: Horowitz returns to Moscow, it was hyped up as if Nijinsky had been born again. Mixed reviews when it came out mid-80’s, but in my ears it has aged very well. My favourite to be honest, if it weren’t for the simply wonderful Scarlatti K87 which is mysteriously missing on the disc, although it can be found on youtube.
There. All suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Carnegie Hall November 1968 has an outstanding Kreisleriana.

The last recital at Hamburg had a memorably good Der Dichter Spricht.

I don’t know the 1966 Carnegie Hall off the top of my head, but surely it’s in the big box of Horowitz Carnegie Hall recitals (unless I’m getting 1966 and 1968 mixed up!)

I vaguely remember there was a especial video recording of a concert some Mozart piano concertos.

1949 Carnegie Hall has an “interesting” Beethoven op 10/3

The 1977 Golden Jubilee recital has the worst Liszt sonata ever recorded by anyone.

Cheese,
I have a 3 CD set on Sony called “The Historic Return - Carnegie Hall 1965 and 1966 Concerts”. Absolutely wonderful Horowitz. It’s the one you are looking for.
If you are interested, there is also an excellent book called “Horowitz - His Life and Music” written by Harold C. Schoenberg. The author was, for several decades, the senior music critic for the New York Times. Not only a great read, the book is also a great resource listing all of Volodya’s recordings...

Brian

Thank, but that is difficult to find new, except maybe on Amazon but I don't order there.

A great box set indeed. Horowitz wasn't that bad in his last years - in fact, these recordings move me far more than his flashy early recordings. Actually I have given up trying to like his 'legendary' pre-war Liszt B minor sonata. Richter, Arrau or Argerich anytime.

I have the Moscow recording taped from the BBC live programme.
Recorded back then on a ReVox G36.
Sounds absolutely superb, better than the digital LP, in spite of the HF limit at 15 kHz.
I therefore likely have an analogue version of the digital release!

Last edited:
I've just started my day with this concert on YouTube. Wonderful indeed, the Master in full control of his powers. Thank you.

The box set will remain a dream until I decide to splash out the necessary 115€. :confused:
Annoyingly I once had 2 copies of the boxes set and gave one as a present to someone I didn’t really like! I sure she’s never listened to it.

Volodya always tried to bring out the "inner voice" in whatever music he chose to play. His piano setup was also quite unique, with the keys at the bass end requiring little effort to get a big sound. Interesting genius.

advertisement

Back