advertisement

Homesick blues

Frizzy

Liberal anarchist
Going home tomorrow after another 3weeks in chateau Nhs.
Missing cats, music and my big woody garden in that order. Looking forward to making a very large latte and putting on REM (my happy place) and letting rip. Probably ‘new adventures’
What do you miss when away and what’s the first thing you play ?

Congratulations on being home I hope that means your well.
Not sure what I would play,but first thing would be a cuppa.

Glad that you're well enough to be discharged, and also that you don't have the worry over what it will cost you unlike over here in the US.
It's always nice to sleep in your own bed / bedroom again.

Fingers crossed, but as the nurses say I’m a ‘frequent flyer, ho hum on with the good stuff.
Just been topped up with vedoluzimab (monoclonal antibody) a expensive but near miraculous treatment for severe crohns.
Big up for Rbh gastro team, they put up with my quirks and emotional outbursts when feeling blue.

Filtered soft water, as you say south coast supply pants.
Years ago I was in Sainsbury’s and bought some mineral water, on trying I was impressed with taste and thought this is familiar. Turns out it was bottled in the Campsie fells north of Glasgow, and was the same water that came out the taps in my grandparents house in Milton of campsie,flashback wow.

No
All drugs ending in "mab" are monoclonal antibodies and they can be amazingly effective drugs, glad its working out for you.

Not to derail, but am I starting on two different monoclonal antibodies if I’m starting on Opdivo and Yervoy? (ipilimumab and nivolumab)

I was part of trails for monoclonals, first infliximab from cloned rat gene, second was humira cloned from human ileum, third was vedoluzimab cloned antibodies from human small bowel, it’s most current and best of these drugs I’ve used.there’s just one more left at present so hoping this one keeps up good work.
Most of these drugs were in part researched to treat arthritis and other auto immune diseases, only vedo was specifically for crohns. But their positive effects on my vicious and persistent disease are a ‘godsend’ and I don’t use that word lightly. They have side effects, they are immune suppressants similar to drugs used in chemotherapy, but feeling nauseous for a couple of days is a small price, the side effects get worse over time as your body starts to build antibodies, but are bearable.
I never undergo any treatment without doing extensive research from multiple sources, (Mayo clinic site is very good) as I’m incredibly neurotic since my treatment by nhs has on occasions been very poor. I often know more than the trainee docs, they call me a expert patient. Or know it all pain in the arse.
Again hay ho life goes on.

Yes they are different, will look up as always curious.
Good luck, don’t know your ailment but I do hope the monoclonals are as good for you as for me, honest vedo was a life changer.

Holy moly, just been on Mayo site.
Yes the two drugs you mention are commonly used in tandem depending on specific condition they are used for.
Best of luck❤️

No

Not to derail, but am I starting on two different monoclonal antibodies if I’m starting on Opdivo and Yervoy? (ipilimumab and nivolumab)

As Frizzy said, yes they are. The very best of luck in your treatment.

I am lucky to be able to work for a company providing technology for the discovery and testing of many medicines including MABs, we are living in an amazing time with large molecule therapies providing relief from illnesses previously untreatable. The future of these biopharmaceuticals providing new modalities is very exciting and we are seeing some impact of the rapid research on novel vaccines for COVID having an impact speeding up the R&D process allowing these new therapies to roll out considerably faster.

Wishing you all the best Frizzy.

I really miss my dog if I’ve not been able to take her somewhere with me. I also have a hang up about unfamiliar toilets. I will only use a Public toilet for a dump in an absolute emergency. I am 53 and I reckon this has happened maybe 20 times in my life. I can just about use family and very good friend’s toilets. Luckily I am regular as clockwork so it generally doesn’t present a problem in my day to day life. So I miss my own toilet.

After being away from home I generally play a bit of Richard Hawley, usually Coles Corner.

Cheers BB

Homeward bound, packing up and waiting for patient transport.
Yesterday’s infusion went very well, can feel it doing it’s mojo on bowel. No throwing up, lots of wind (good sign) and feeling a bit hyper, didn’t sleep but not a surprise that one.
So ‘tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree’ I’ve actually got that on vinyl.

Toilets are the bane of my life, I avoid using any loo but mine, hospital toilets no matter how clean are still hospital toilets.
Lucky insofar as bowels tend to clamp up when out of house, but nothing more humiliating than a messy accident in public, I always take my radar key(though pubic loos getting rare)
And know every usable bog in area, also have crohns society card which helps.
I also carry everywhere a emergency kit, wet wipes, hand towel and change of clothes.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back