advertisement

Home meat slicers....

Colin L

High-tech low-life
Any recommendations for a machine to slice joints, roast ham etc....

We do a lot of ham and chicken to cut for sandwiches etc and wondered whether a machine was worthwhile. I see machines on Amazon 70 quid upwards...

TIA

What are usually called ham slicers (knives) make slicing by hand a reasonably simple task. You need a good cutting board and room enough as well though. And a steel if you haven't one already.

Machine? Just think of the ball-ache of cleaning it after less than 5 minutes use.

Electric knives/slicers/etc can slice happily through gristle and bone too, sometimes leaving bits of them in your nicely cut slices.

I too recommend getting a really good set of knives and keeping them sharp. We use David Mellor knives, but you can pay a lot more (or less).

Ease of cleaning seems to be a complaint in some of the Amazon reviews. I guess you’re right that 5 mins cutting and 15 mins cleaning could get tedious

we've got a magimix slicer and it is brilliant for thinly slicing ham and charcuterie. If you want wafer thin slices, it makes life very easy.

It is no hassle to clean after use. Ours is quite old now and if it broke id replace it in an instant

I have a Krups slicer that works quite well for meats and vegetables, but it's a pain to set up, and to clean. It's at least 25 years old, and is always a little "sticky" to the touch.

And it's left-handed...

Last edited:
We have a Siemens, we purchased it purely for cutting hams very thinly, which it does very well. Cleaning is quite easy and it has lasted many years of light use.
Price wise I'm a bit hazy but at a guess it was no more than €50 back then.

advertisement

Back