advertisement

Holst, The Planets & Orff, Carmina Burana, CD reccomendations

Planets- Montreal Symphony/ Dutoit on Decca sounds great. LPO/ Boult is older but a good performance nonetheless.

For the Orff, I've got the LSO/ Previn on HMV which does it for me...

Hope this helps, H.

Seconded for all those recommendations. The early 80s Boult recording of the planets is a particular fave, right at the end of Adrian's life and with all the authority of a lifetime living with the work he conducted first when the ink was still wet.

Cheers,

Nic.

I have The Planets on Deutsche Grammophon, Herbert Von Kararjan, reading the sleeve notes it has "ORIGINAL IMAGE BIT PROCESSING with added greater presence and brillance"(sounds a bit like a washing powder), this makes it dynamic but flat and bright!

So thats why im looking for a better recording of it, thanks for the reccomendations, Jon

When I was at college in the early '80s our shared house had an outside karzi that needed decorating. Obviously we had better things to spend our money on, but my mate had a brilliant idea...

We went to a record shop (remember them?) and got as many publicity photos/posters or obergruppenfuehrer Karajan as we could, i.e. a lot, and papered the bog with them.

From then on, all one had to say was "I'm just nipping out to the Herbie Room" und alles war Klar.

I wonder if he's still there; DG publicity stuff was printed on good quality stuff....

H.

I have The Planets on Deutsche Grammophon, Herbert Von Kararjan, reading the sleeve notes it has "ORIGINAL IMAGE BIT PROCESSING with added greater presence and brillance"(sounds a bit like a washing powder), this makes it dynamic but flat and bright!

So thats why im looking for a better recording of it, thanks for the reccomendations, Jon

I had that one too. It was quite grating as I recall. I sold it and haven't revisited Holst since.

I have Tchaikovsky 1812 overture/ The Nutcraker-suite as well, same label, same conductor, same orchestra, same sound, flat and bright.
I'll steer clear of Deutsche Grammophon from now on

Some DG recordings are great, the BPO/Herbie ones tend to all sound the same though IMO.

E.g. the Berlioz Te Deum/ Euro Yoof Orch./ Abbado is fabbo.

My favourite ones of these are (oddly) both on DG - but not the ones previously mentioned - both fairly recent:-

Planets - Philharmonia Orchestra / John Eliot Gardiner (1995)
Carmina - Chor und Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin / Christian Thielemann (1999)

There is a Carmina Burana just out on Naxos which has the advantage of only being a fiver - there was part of it on the latest Naxos sampler. It sounded quite good - but hard to tell from a couple of minutes what the whole recording will be like. Might be worth a punt for the price.

Jonathan

advertisement

Back