advertisement

Holiday recommendations

slammed56

pfm Member
Any recommendations for a pet friendly holiday cottage/house in the Devon/Dorset area
Looking to explore this area for a week or so in early September
Thanks

We booked our lodge in Northumberland for this September way back in October last year, and the vacant weeks were disappearing.

Our Danube cruise holiday was cancelled at the last minute by Scenic. However we have managed to book a nice hotel in the New Forest for 5 nights in September at a pinch. We even found places in Foye and Christchurch, They are all at the upper price point but it isn't a holiday if you are not going to be pampered and enjoy yourself.

DV

Our Danube cruise holiday was cancelled at the last minute by Scenic. However we have managed to book a nice hotel in the New Forest for 5 nights in September at a pinch. We even found places in Foye and Christchurch, They are all at the upper price point but it isn't a holiday if you are not going to be pampered and enjoy yourself.

DV

My FIL and his wife are on the Danube Cruise now, with Scenic. They couldn’t leave Amsterdam on the boat as the water level was too low, they ended up getting a coach to Germany. They then had to change boat again after a couple of days. It’s put a dampener on their trip, not heard if there’s any financial come back yet.

Cheers BB

I have just booked a cottage in Wales for a week in mid September, we were looking all over and just wanted to find the right cottage for us, so location didn’t really matter. There were plenty of cottages still available in Devon / Dorset

It will depend on your budget, what size cottage, do you want to be close to the coast etc. When you say early September, is this week following the bank holiday or the second week of the month?

There were Press reports only this past week that demand for holiday cottages in the SW has dropped back to pre pandemic levels and asking prices are being reduced as well. Not checked for myself.

There’s always late availability. Check out classic.co.uk or give them a call, they’re very good in my experience. I’m staying in a stunning spot near Salcombe right next to the coast path later in the year. It’s a lovely area.

There were Press reports only this past week that demand for holiday cottages in the SW has dropped back to pre pandemic levels and asking prices are being reduced as well. Not checked for myself.

Not quite the same thing but we're travelling to Ireland in a bit and were hoping to spend the weekend in Dublin. The Travelodge was charging £360/night for Fridays and Saturdays.

We're just back from a family holiday on the outskirts of Ilfracombe, taking our bonkers Irish Terrier with us - we had quite a large house (six adults, one child and one IT) - I can find the details for you though (if you would like them) it was quite expensive mind. There was a great pub nearby and a 'locals' beach - it was bliss.

Not quite the same thing but we're travelling to Ireland in a bit and were hoping to spend the weekend in Dublin. The Travelodge was charging £360/night for Fridays and Saturdays.

Christ!

I’ve booked the usual annual lads walking trip this year. Going to Maderia in November as it’s as cheap as booking a large house in Ambleside or Keswick!

Sykes have been buying up holiday let companies left right and centre. They typically then double rentals for many weeks. We stay in Lyme Regis on the Cob for a long weekend in November. This year, we have price fixed from booking last year at £671. Next year the same weekend is over £1100! A good friend who owns a lovely flat on Carbis Bay had the same thing happen when Sykes took over their rental company. They had to fight them to stop them applying an across the board 100% increase as they didn’t want to penalise all their loyal customers who had been renting for years.

Jesus wept. Unless the Travelodges are better in Ireland, that's a lot of money to stay in a vertical kennel.

We're just back from a family holiday on the outskirts of Ilfracombe, taking our bonkers Irish Terrier with us - we had quite a large house (six adults, one child and one IT) - I can find the details for you though (if you would like them) it was quite expensive mind. There was a great pub nearby and a 'locals' beach - it was bliss.

Nice area. Some friends have a holiday home there which we use sometimes. Lovely beaches, walks and pubs!

Northumberland coast. And if the sea is boring (!) then drive West into The Cheviot’s

My FIL and his wife are on the Danube Cruise now, with Scenic. They couldn’t leave Amsterdam on the boat as the water level was too low, they ended up getting a coach to Germany. They then had to change boat again after a couple of days. It’s put a dampener on their trip, not heard if there’s any financial come back yet.

Cheers BB
Looks like we got off lightly by comparison. At least we didn't have to leave home and waste hours/days of our time and got our money back. In the past we have had two excellent river cruises with Scenic thus we were really looking forward this this holiday.

DV

advertisement

Back