advertisement

Holiday is cancelled!

Darth Vader

From the Dark Side
We were due to fly off on holiday on Monday and we got a telephone call from the package tour operator (scenic) to say that our 10 day holiday has been cancelled. Even if we manage to get 100% of our cash back from scenic (credit card payment) we'll still be out of pocket for a) the cost of insurance and b )the cost of reserving BA flight seats. BA states that the cost of reserved seats is none refundable unless they cancel a flight. We spoke to the insurance co (staysure) to enquire if we could cancel the insurance and recover at least some of the cost as they were now insuring something that has since been cancelled. They hadn't a clue what to do.

I don't see why we should be out of pocket for several hundreds when this is beyond our control.

Interesting no?

DV

Clearly, we don't have the full details but it seems your contract is with Scenic? If so, take a look at their Ts &Cs paras 13-16 "variation or cancellation by us".

If you can't agree suitable compensation then you can ask for assistance from ABTA.

We were due to fly off on holiday on Monday and we got a telephone call from the package tour operator (scenic) to say that our 10 day holiday has been cancelled. Even if we manage to get 100% of our cash back from scenic (credit card payment) we'll still be out of pocket for a) the cost of insurance and b )the cost of reserving BA flight seats. BA states that the cost of reserved seats is none refundable unless they cancel a flight. We spoke to the insurance co (staysure) to enquire if we could cancel the insurance and recover at least some of the cost as they were now insuring something that has since been cancelled. They hadn't a clue what to do.

I don't see why we should be out of pocket for several hundreds when this is beyond our control.

Interesting no?

DV
Does your insurance not cover cancellations? You can also sue scenic for other expenses not covered by credit card chargeback or insufficient insurance.

If it's a package holiday weren't the reservations part of the deal (or an add-on)? In which case the refund should include them. If you went direct to BA to reserve seats I guess they can say that was up to you and nothing to do with them. Never booked a package tour so I don't know how they work

I'm guessing you booked the insurance separately as single trip rather than annual? (As it still has value if annual). Interesting question I've never thought of, is single trip insurance itself insured if the trip is cancelled? I would have thought the excess would be about the price of the cover anyway, unless you have pre existing medical conditions which can increase the cover by several multiples.

You are going to have to fight tooth and nail to get compensation for anything these days.
I can’t even contact BA to discuss matters, I think they could afford at least one other person to help the poor sod they currently have manning their vast banks of phones.

Daughter in law was in the queue to board a flight to Greece, been in the queue for hours with 7 month old baby, only to be told upon reaching the boarding gate that they were not allowing anyone else to board. No real explanation of why but the flight still left, so presumably BA booked more people onto the flight than they has capacity for.
As they had confirmed their booking days before the flight, how is this possible?

Daughter in law was in the queue to board a flight to Greece, been in the queue for hours with 7 month old baby, only to be told upon reaching the boarding gate that they were not allowing anyone else to board. No real explanation of why but the flight still left, so presumably BA booked more people onto the flight than they has capacity for.
As they had confirmed their booking days before the flight, how is this possible?

That's what they do and hope for a certain percentage of no shows...

Don't they usually ask for volunteers to be "bounced" with some incentives though once they know they are overbooked?

That's what they do and hope for a certain percentage of no shows...

Absolutely what they do - but if you have a full ticket they should still honour it and keep the standbys on hold. I've been flying for 48yrs with my job and not having to do it is something I really really look forward to. It's bad enough fighting my way through the hordes at an airport thinking that 83% of them are tourists..............

Regards

Richard

You are going to have to fight tooth and nail to get compensation for anything these days.
I can’t even contact BA to discuss matters, I think they could afford at least one other person to help the poor sod they currently have manning their vast banks of phones.

yes call centre cahos programme recently on TV said 2 hours on hold for some airlines including BA

Chances of compensation are somewhere between slim and none at the moment, based on my experience flying back from Crete in May. Stuck for 2 days at Frankfurt airport trying to get on a flight, bags didn't arrive for 10 days after our return. Lufthansa don't answer the phone as a matter of policy it seems, or reply to emails, and have not even acknowledged our claim for reasonable compensation to cover our extra costs. I know quite a few people in the same situation, with a number of different airlines and travel operators.

perhaps a trip to Hull or Grimsby

That choice is grim by heck as that's a hull of a place to holiday. Kingston Jamaica is an alternative.

Seen and heard from the eyes and ears of someone who's no ambitions to even go away in this country (me), any travel abroad is really tempting fate with passport delays, strikes, incapacity and inefficiency in airlines and airports, documentation increases, extreme climate conditions and the poor exchange rate of the £ to most currencies quite apart from the general chaos existing in many geographical areas. I could be wrong but I think one could travel abroad fairly confidently 5 or more years ago.

Great shame, Lewis, when sth is organised and anticipated, and good luck with the hassles involved in seeking recompense. Non= prefix; none = pronoun b.t.w. Possibly a voyage, or holiday involving a voyage may be a safer bet nowadays or seeking the sun in the less frenetic winter period.

That is a bit odd as every flight I have ever been on has boarded families with children first. However your presumption is correct, all airlines overbook their flights (10% I think) and occasionally have to ask for volunteers to take a different flight, usually with some form of compensation. Only after then do they choose unwilling passengers against a list of priority - class booked, amount paid, frequent flyer status etc etc. Unfortunately cheap flight holiday flyers usually have the lowest status.

It's bad enough fighting my way through the hordes at an airport thinking that 83% of them are tourists..............

Regards

Richard

I have seen you quote this number a couple of times and I am curious where the data is from. I fly a lot and it seems most are business flyers but could be down to where I fly.

I have seen you quote this number a couple of times and I am curious where the data is from. I fly a lot and it seems most are business flyers but could be down to where I fly.

I'll now need to see if I can re-find the article and revert. The last two times out of ABZ and the arrivals area was chocka with the assembled masses all queuing for the likes of EasyJet etc. flights.

Between them and modern day security checks flying is a PITA.

Edited bit - forgot to mention now having to go through immigration at Schiphol is another PITA

Regards

Richard

12% are business travellers according to this article...

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/an...ness-travelers-compared-leisure-travelers.asp

I hadn’t realised that over half the people in the UK don’t fly at all... sometimes a good prod is needed in order to remember pfm doesn’t reflect society as a whole!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56582094

advertisement

Back