advertisement

History of 2Tone

The specials at the Portsmouth guildhall . I think 1980. First on were the GoGos

went to see again them in London over 30 years later. Didn’t enjoy it

!979, Apollo Manchester, I was on the balcony and the place went mad, the balcony was moving up and down about 6 inches or more with the dancing (even though seated). Scary, wild. Madness, Specials.(not quite as wild as Dr Feelgood at the Chancellor Hall, Chelmsford).

It was different it was excellent and it was ours.

See you all at Skamouth?
Yes, what a night this was. The energy, menace and tension of the night made this one of those very special occasions. The fascist skinheads who turned up for trouble, were threatening all around them, and attacking anybody stood up to them. Not a wise decision in multi racial Ardwick. They met a brutal end In and outside the venue. The music, wonderful.

Yes, what a night this was. The energy, menace and tension of the night made this one of those very special occasions. The fascist skinheads who turned up for trouble, were threatening all around them, and attacking anybody stood up to them. Not a wise decision in multi racial Ardwick. They met a brutal end In and outside the venue. The music, wonderful.
I don't remember the details of the skinheads, I probably ducked off back sharpish. I was at Hyde Town Hall to object to Martin Webster though. We found out he wa staying at The Picadilly Hotel and a group waited for him outside. A waiter tipped off the student union.

Bad Manners played our Uni Hall of Residence in 1983. They were awesome!

I saw Madness at 'Friars' in Aylesbury multiple times.

Pretty sure I saw the Selector at the Nags head in High Wycombe.

I saw The Specials in 1979, on a Thursday night in a sweaty Welly Club, Hull after we’d watched them on TOTP. Energy levels were insane.
Then again at the Anti Nazi League Carnival in Potternewton Park, Leeds at what was then to be their last gig.
Amazing band.
The Specials in Pot Park was a great gig. I haven't seen any other band that was so vital to the mood of the times. (I wonder why we called it Pot Park? :) )
Did you also see the 2 Tone tour at Leeds Univ, probably 1979? When The Selecter played some fash started a fight at the front, the band jumped off stage and waded in, swinging mic stands.

I was a fan, although only 13/14 yrs old, no chance to see them. I did have the pork pie hat, loafers and suit. About the first album I ever bought, about £5. I didn’t realise, but the version I got was Canadian. Shorter ‘Too Much, Too Young,’ and ‘Gangsters’ added to this version.

R-6128600-1477801892-2659.jpeg.jpg

More Images

The Specials ‎– The Specials
Label:
Chrysalis ‎– CHR 1265
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album
Canada
Released:
Genre:
Rock
Style:
Ska

I have a few Two-Tone albums, The Selecter ‘Too Much Pressure’ is another early favourite that I still play. I have some singles as well, including The Bodysnatchers I think.

This is a good listen.

R-5555510-1477165325-1159.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Various ‎– Dance Craze
Label:
Two-Tone Records ‎– CHR TT 5004, Two-Tone Records ‎– CHRTT 5004
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Compilation
UK
Released:
Genre:
Rock, Stage & Screen
Style:
Ska

edit: did see The Specials in Leicester DeMontford Hall a few years ago (before Encore came out) - it was loud, folks danced like the meant it. I think Pauline Black DJ’ed pre-Specials to warm the audience. Nice.

'The Specials' self titled first album was the my first 'real' record- it has been downhill ever since.:D

The Specials in Pot Park was a great gig. I haven't seen any other band that was so vital to the mood of the times. (I wonder why we called it Pot Park? :) )
Did you also see the 2 Tone tour at Leeds Univ, probably 1979? When The Selecter played some fash started a fight at the front, the band jumped off stage and waded in, swinging mic stands.
No I didn’t go to that one. Sounds lively!

I loved 2 Tone/ska at the time. Bought all the albums by Madness, Specials, The Beat, Selecter, Bad Manners (I know they weren’t all on the label but were of an era). That Dance Craze album is a good one. Remember Bodysnatchers?

Specials and Gogo’s may have been on the same bill as Terry Hall collaborated with one of the girl band to write ‘Our Lips Are Sealed’ (one of the best pop songs ever - by Gogo’s but a great cover by Fun Boy Three)

Gangsters and Too Much Too Young are classic tracks - as is Stand Down Margaret by The Beat

I remember repeat playing Can Can by Bad Manners !

I was massively into new wave (John Foxx, Tubeway Army, Joy Division etc.) when the Twotone ska movement came along and it taught me to appreciate other genres and got me looking at 60s ska etc. So much good music from Twotone, but my favourite will always be the Too Much Pressure album from The Selecter. Expertly crafted ska tunes in that cool black and white cover. Special place reserved for Ghost Town, one of the most poignant and important number 1s of all time. Even my died in the wool Tory parents took notice of its haunting melody and associated lyrical social comment.

advertisement

Back