advertisement

Hiss on new vinyl

peelaaa

pfm Member
Hi, I recently had delivered Donnie Darko soundtrack on vinyl from the deathwaltz recording company. http://deathwaltzrecordingcompany.com/

It's a special edition,blue vinyl and playing it today I heard quite a lot of hiss from the recording. I am asssuming it is from the master they used but should it not be there?

I have become so fed up with the quality of new vinyl I have stopped buying it. They always seem to be warped or have excessive pops or are unusually noisy.

I have 100’s of abused 70/80’s boot sale disks that, once cleaned, outperform anything I can buy new. Shame.

One of the main reasons I decided to stop with vinyl. New release are so hit and miss, quality wise.

I don't think it's any worse than it was back in the day. Maybe I've just been lucky or I don't buy obscure enough artists :)

Some of the modern discs are fantastically quiet, much more than any record available in the 70s and 80s.

I have had a few problems with new vinyl over the last few years, such as kate bush - aerial,that had a pressing fault on side 3 ( I returned it to shop who said they had loads returned, just remember that if you plan on buying it 2nd hand at over £140-price on discogs), bob marley-exodus(simply vinyl label), pressing noise on one track,
grandaddy-soptware slump- pressing noise on one track.

I have plenty of 2nd hand vinyl that plays perfectly albeit with a bit of crackling from the years, and have plenty of new vinyl that sounds great such as Elbow-seldom seen kid(45rpm)

I do remember buying queen-king of magic on vinyl when it was first released and it wasn't cut correctly and was slightly wider in diameter than it should have been although it played fine.

I also had a HIFI news analogue test lp, that was warped across the record so the stylus was moving in and out as it was playing.

Yet, I can't remember having older vinyl having bad pressing problems that affected the sound

Have you tried cleaning the record with a good RCM?

It seems to be the recording itself from the master and not dirt in the tracks, there is constant hiss throughout. It sounds like a tape deck playing without dolby B for example.

It isn't crackling/popping so I can't imagine cleaning would have any affect although I could try it.

Hi, I recently had delivered Donnie Darko soundtrack on vinyl from the deathwaltz recording company. http://deathwaltzrecordingcompany.com/

It's a special edition,blue vinyl and playing it today I heard quite a lot of hiss from the recording. I am asssuming it is from the master they used but should it not be there?

I have found coloured vinyl to be noisy before - I tend to not buy it now. However hiss may indeed be tape hiss on the original recording. But try cleaning it as GT says it could be something in the pressing.

Sometimes worth looking for another issue - maybe the cutting/copy tape had hiss but the original is clean or they used Dolby another time. I have done that before and got a better copy with different matrix number :).
It is rare to be so obtrusive though.

I don't think it's any worse than it was back in the day. Maybe I've just been lucky or I don't buy obscure enough artists :)

Some of the modern discs are fantastically quiet, much more than any record available in the 70s and 80s.

Not for me they are not some of my AM records from the 70's are the quietist i have heard

Varies but generally today's pressings are quiet - small volumes no regrind plus may be digital recordings no hiss. Agree many AMs were quiet as were quite a few of the late EMI classical. Dolby used by then to kill hiss too. I think it's always been possible to make quiet vinyl and low hiss recordings in the stereo era but not always done. Cheaper tape, pressing operations etc got used.:rolleyes:

none of the audiophile vinyl labels ever use coloured vinyl , higher surface noise. they always use black
Deathwaltz vinyl I sell a far bit , packaging is great and not had any complaints ffrom customers so far. Must open a copy up and give it a listen

Overall i find new audiophile pressings from the hi-end brands , much better than the stuff back in the day
quality control & pressing equipment has moved on a far bit in the last few years

Most new pressing like QRP quality record pressings 200gram stuff if flat & silent , Pallas , Mov & RTI excellent as well

If the hiss stops and starts with the tracks, and doesn't persist over the breaks between, it seems most likely to be master tape hiss, from an older analogue recording.

advertisement

Back