advertisement

Hire a new kitchen?

gassor

There may be more posts after this.
Forget the Brexit bollocks for a min, Ikea is planning to make kitchens that you hire then replace. They will then tart them up and sell at a low price to extend product life and reduce waste.

It (Ikea) said it was looking at ways for customers to "buy, care for and pass on products".

Kate Hardcastle, retail analyst at Insight With Passion, told the BBC it marked a "pendulum shift" for a company which focused on cheap and cheerful furniture but was now trying to take a more sustainable approach to business.

In the future, we will own fewer things (cars, fridges, CDs), but just hire them which will benefit the environment, hopefully.

Dream on.

TVs and white goods are so cheap no company will make money renting them out.

There’s a reason why Radio Rentals are no more!

IKEA things fall apart without moving them. Now you want to move them without the bloody build diagrams ?

It's either laudable or a publicity stunt, depending on your view of IKEA. The thing is that the biggest cost is in the installation. The chipboard boxes are dirt cheap. Many years ago I took a kitchen out at my parents place. We were careful with dismantling, maybe 2/3 was reusable. We gave it to the village hall, a few local tradesmen installed it in their spare time. They reported it as being far from straightforward, because half of what they had needed repair before reassembly.

Such negativity on here, esp Bob, I'm really surprised at you. Ikea sell almost 3 times more furniture than their biggest rival in the UK and if you can get a new kitchen for the price of a pint per week, then it will take off big time. If their trial run works out, and I expect it will, then you'll all be getting your Leksvik on tick.

Last edited:
Such negativity on here, esp Bob, I'm really surprised at you. Ikea sell almost 3 times more furniture than their biggest rival in the UK and if you can get a new kitchen for the price of a pint per week, then it will take off big time. If their trial run works out, and I expect it will, then you'll all be getting your Leksvik on tick.

Ikea kitchens are pish mate.

Ikea kitchens are pish mate.

I thought you might say that. :)

We have one and it does the job and is totally fine without costing an arm and a leg. Of all the self-assembly furniture I have come across it is the best to assemble and ours has remained in one piece for well over 10 years. At the price, I don't know anything that is better and it can be replaced quite cheaply if need be.

Indeed.

The concept of a market in ex-lease IKEA kitchens simply beggars belief.

Why, it works for the motor industry. If people setting up their first home or landlords with damaged units can get nearly new stuff for 1/3 the price then they will buy it and Ikea will say it is saving the planet.

I thought you might say that. :)

We have one and it does the job and is totally fine without costing an arm and a leg. Of all the self-assembly furniture I have come across it is the best to assemble and ours has remained in one piece for well over 10 years. At the price, I don't know anything that is better and it can be replaced quite cheaply if need be.

Howden’s or Magnet Trade are both miles better than ikea kitchens for similar money.

Howden’s appliances are pish though, Lamona, but you can buy your own.

Howden’s or Magnet Trade are both miles better than ikea kitchens for similar money.

Howden’s appliances are pish though, Lamona, but you can buy your own.

Cheers T, I'll bear them in mind. Ikea's appliances are pretty crap as well from what I have seen (we have a few built-in).

If only builders would make kitchens that were actually rectangular on a metric grid.
The time and therefore cost of installation is in the customisation and bodging needed

My Ikea kitchen is almost 20 years old and has been no problem apart from a leaking pipe under the sink, is now starting to look its age so good luck with trying to sell this one on :)
Howdens are a joke, they sell at the possible highest price that the area can afford, a friend tried to buy one up here for delivery to his relatives in Weston Super Mare. They refused to take the order and would not sell it to him unless he promised not to take it down south as the kitchen was much more expensive there.

Gassor

I don’t know how old you are but the high street used to be full of companies that rented out TVs, stereos, video recorders and white goods.

They all but disappeared leaving just a few that prey on the poorest in society charging extortionate rates for stuff that could be bought cheaper.

What possible business model can make it more attractive to rent a tv rather than buy one off Richersounds with a 6 year warranty paying it off over 2 years on an interest free credit card?

Same goes for white goods.

The Ikea thing is a daft red herring.

I just ripped a kitchen out of my daughter’s flat that had been installed years ago by a previous owner.
None of it was re usable.

They’d be better off offering a recycling facility whereby you return the old crap to them for shredding and you get a discount.

I know, but not impressed with the hob, oven or microwave we have.

Your better off buying appliances separately, we have a Belling built in double gas oven and electric grill which replaced a Hotpoint built in double gas oven & gas grill and that lasted four years before the thermocouple on the small oven chucked it and Hotpoint couldn't supply a replacement thermocouple so the oven was written off by D&G (we have extended warranties on all kitchen appliances.

The Belling was installed about two years ago and it's gone through two electric grills and a TC on the main oven, D&G and Glen Dimplex have been fantastic I have to say.

Incidentally you can't but a built in double gas oven and gas grill now, no one makes them.

We had a Hotpoint induction hob that chucked it after about four years and has been replaced by a Samsung one, again written off and replaced by D&G (they gave us £250 towards the new hob).

The original Zanussi built in dishwasher pre-new kitchen so about seven years old and was replaced with a NEFF about three years ago.

The original Zanussi washing machine floor-standing as above was replaced with a Bosch washer drier about two years ago.

The fridge is a built in Bosch and is now about six years old and has been fantastic.

The freezer is an AEG and is about six years old and is pish it continually blocks up and then produces ice like the South Pole.

The built in microwave is just a generic one from O'Neills in Scotstoun and is still working apart from the internal bulb has gone and I ain't stripping it down to replace a bulb.

The Kitchen was bought from Howden is now about six or seven years old and is still as good as the day that it was installed, the worktops came from Rero in Govan and are still in brilliant condition.

BTW, our kitchen is in use practically 247 & 365 days a year with four sometimes six adults using it that's why we've gone through so many appliances they are, literally never off especially the dishwasher and the washing machine.

advertisement

Back