advertisement

High Quality Supermarket Olive Oil

I lived on Crete for a couple of years, between Rethymnon and Chania, so I know what good Cretan olive oil tastes like. I've never found it in the UK. I shall try this oil.

I love Greece and Crete in particular, we took my daughter there aged nine months 32 years ago with my wife five months pregnant with my son at the time.

I love Greece and Crete in particular, we took my daughter there aged nine months 32 years ago with my wife five months pregnant with my son at the time.

It is a shadow of its former self on the coasts of Crete, unfortunately.

Seems to be the same with tined tomatoes, San Marzano tomatoes are only grown around Naples or only should be from that area but they manage to supply pizza restaurants/Italian takeaways in the entire world.

Great tomatoes though I buy them from an Italian wholesaler in Coventry, they 'appear' to be genuine Sam Marzano tomatoes but who knows?

https://www.adimaria.co.uk/tomatoes-pesto-sauces/strianese-san-marzano-6x25kg

Let me recommend these to you

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088G16LMZ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That's interesting. In fact, I don't think I've ever tasted really excellent French olive oil, even in France.
Whenever I'm in Nice I pick up some Alziari olive oil. I've been going there for more than thirty years, and have seen the operation grow and become a lot more "commercial" in that time. Great olives, too.

Hard work for both of you, presume you went early/late season to avoid the heat.

We often mention our holiday in Crete in the early 80's, possibly one of our best. We would go again, but know it has changed, so may take a chance.

I might try this, the only thing getting in the way is that the cost of the delivery is more than the cost of the oil, but I may get over that.

The truth is that, although I've spent a lot of time in the South, I've never had really special French olive oil. I'm sure it exists, but somehow I've never found it.
There isn't a lot of it around, and a lot of it seems to get sold locally. I have tasted these AOPs from the Fontvieille area http://moulindelacoquille.com/produit/huile-dolive-aop-50-cl-moulin-de-la-coquille-bouteille-50-cl/ and http://moulindelacoquille.com/produ...-50-cl-moulin-de-la-coquille-bouteille-50-cl/. I liked both (the first one goes through a fermentation process to give it an extra kick, the second one is milder) but I can't say they are better than other good oils.

Hard work for both of you, presume you went early/late season to avoid the heat.

We often mention our holiday in Crete in the early 80's, possibly one of our best. We would go again, but know it has changed, so may take a chance.

April 1989 Chris, I hired a car cause the apartment was up a hill but the owner was brilliant he brought us eggs every day and his daughter who was about nine at the time played with my daughter the entire time we were there she practically adopted our daughter :D

The hottest places I've ever experienced was Samos around 1997 temperature was about 45 degrees C, the Greeks told us to keep the kids in the hotel and indoors and Seville May 2003 around the same temperature, unbelievable temperatures, just me and my son then in Seville though for the Uefa Cup final Celtic vs FC Porto (Mourinho was the Porto Manager), beautiful city and really nice people even the Portuguese fans were brilliant can't say the same about their team though they were really talented but dived throughout the entire game and extra time of course they won the European Cup the following year too.

It is a shadow of its former self on the coasts of Crete, unfortunately.

I've not been back to Greece since about 1999 when we were on Alonnisos but I wasn't that impressed with the island although the Italian restaurants there were excellent there was an amazing blue flag beach though but we were there at the end of September and it was pretty cold.

We've been all over the Greek Islands, Kos, Rhodes, Crete X2, Corfu, Paxos & anti-Paxos, Samos X 2, Poros, Hydra, Leros (horrible island no cats & over run by rats and Spetse X 3 which was our absolute favourite all of the Islands.

We've also spent some time in Athens.

we went there once Tony, picked a hot one and it was unbearable. Nevertheless, digs and food good, another I would like to revisit

Loved it Chris, me and the wife went there in 1984 or 83, a long five hour bus journey down the Peloponnes and then through the Corinth canal to a little village called Kostas (I think) then onto a Greek fishing boat for an hour to the Island.

I can still remember that journey, it was very early in the morning and seeing the island rise up out of the sea from the fishing boat, absolutely magical anyway we got off the boat and the guide said 'just go into that cafe and leave your bags' and we were like 'aye you are kidding aren't you?' but we did what we were told and the bags turned up about five hours later at the apartment, we were hooked.

The year before we had been on Ibiza, San Antonio, hated it, drunks everywhere, people being sick, police at the apartments every day, guys cutting about the pool bollock naked, total disaster of a holiday.

Spetse was another world I had no idea existed, we ended up going back for the next two years on the trot and to the rest of the Islands for the next fifteen years or so, we only started going back to Spain about 2003/4 never been back to Greece since 1999 though.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I bought three litres of Honest Toil EVOO just before Christmas, it’s from the Peloponnes, absolutely fantastic. £33 posted from the UK.

My two kids bought me a hamper each with a 500ml bottle of Spanish EVOO which seems pretty special, it’s a numbered bottle from a batch of 250000 litres. Looking forward to trying it.

advertisement

Back