advertisement

High Quality Supermarket Olive Oil

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not in france maybe, but here in the UK we have much better food these days. Poor old France. Used to lead the world in all things food. What happened? :)
Camembert, Cordon Bleu and Quiche Lorraine can only take a country so far.

Saucisson doesn't seem to export at all. I love it.

And if they could stop being selfish with their best wines and actually export some of them, other countries might buy more of it, instead of that shite from, well everywhere else actually.

is amazon a supermarket now?
If so, this is voted the worlds best OO.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FMMATCA/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
That cost is 2.5 L, so it's £14 a litre but worth every penny IMO.

There's a good article here which defines the OO standards for freshness, region and etc. Lots of good oils here too but not supermarkets IIRC. maybe tesco finest scicilian gets a nod?
https://mybest-gb.uk/9623

The only thing that stops me buying it is that it's such a large amount -- given that I can't taste before buying, I want 1L max.

I've never had a great French olive oil, despite having spent quite a bit of time in the South, I expect they exist, but I've never tried one. If there's one really outstanding one which I can get in the UK, please say.

In Menton once I had a memorable one -- but it was infused with lemons, so not the same.

^ I've never had great olive oil in France either, although I have in Italy.
And I seem to remember similar comments (on PFM ?) about coffee being better in Italy too.
This is getting serious.
Good thing France has wine and cheese. And the boulangerie.

And if they could stop being selfish with their best wines and actually export some of them, other countries might buy more of it, instead of that shite from, well everywhere else actually.
Too much effort and paperwork to make it worthwhile, is what I’m usually told. I don’t imagine things will be improving regarding exports to the UK next year.

I used to buy Lebanese Zaytoun olive oil. Splendid stuff, but hard to find in the UK.

I haven't found anything that quite comes close to this or really good Greek extra virgin olive oil in UK supermarkets and generally find own label extra virgin to be as good as anything branded. But, as is said upthread, depends what you like and how you choose to use it. I find most extra virgin oils overpowering in dressings, but superb mopped up with a bit of bread and salt. I like them very peppery, but with less of the bitter raw green flavour that prevails in some. Others may like theirs the other way round.

Without wanting to get political, Sainsbury’s stock a Palestinian olive oil which we’ve tried and liked. It’s probably one of few products we can buy that will help support these people, so perhaps we should?
Is that Zaytoun? Very good if it is - see my post above. I used to have to go to some hippy in Hackney to pick up a 2 litre tin.

Don’t know. Haven’t got any at the mo, so will check when we go next. I don’t know what I’m looking for, so hadn’t been aware of that name, but will see what it’s called.

Edit - it’s this one: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui...tegoryId=304981&productId=48338&storeId=10151

It's this. Decision made, I shall buy a bottle.
2365x2365.jpg

advertisement

Back