advertisement

High Mass vs. Suspended decks

i'm not dissing everyone else's gear am i - maybe you and ynwoan should lose the chips's on shoulders......everytime someone suggests moving away from linn the flat earth old guard wade in with the moaning and slagging of everything else....lighten up for crying out loud ....go put a record on !!! spend less time trying to justify your choices all the time.....
oh and put me on ignore......

also i don't think trade posters like you and ynwoan should comment on the deck choices of other people and at least be gentlemen and stop dissing other decks.......

also i don't think trade posters like you and ynwoan should comment on the deck choices of other people and at least be gentlemen and stop dissing other decks.......

We have valid opinions. I don't diss other decks, I merely answer questions raised.

As usual daryl, you won't let facts get in the way of a cheap insult. I've not made reference to anything that I own, either directly or obliquely (and it was not my intention to do so); no system is perfect and there is always room for improvement (including belt drive, AC motor, DC motor, direct drive, air-bearing etc.).

Daryl, don't be ridiculous - there is no 'dissing' of turntables taking place - if you have something worthwhile to add beyond stating that rumble is a myth (not that you have provided any of the evidence, you are so proud of, to support such a bold claim), then make it and keep the personal slurs and agenda driven insults to yourself.

For what it's worth, I think Biggus-Dickkus has summarised things well in post #55 - no doubt my experience is based on decks that have not been optimally restored/aligned.

(P.S. Guys, please resist the temptation to quote daryl's posts as it bypasses the forums ignore function - thank you).

Chaps,

At any moment Buffy could appear.

Joe / moderating

Bring her on then Joe - will she be travelling aboard the Enterprise today?

With regard to the mass question posed by starbuck....good question...it's a very subjective issue in itself. I suppose I think of the LP12 platter as being medium mass - but in the world-wide context it probably isn't even as heavy as that.

In terms of chassis, I guess I would call the Pink Triangle Aerolam chassis low mass and the SME30 high mass (for example) - there are much higher mass examples of chassis out there though.

ok ynwoan - firstly where have i said rumble is a myth?
you said that garrards in your opinion/experience rumbled, then a few people asked for you to prove that a working garrard rumbled and guess what you then said you were not sure that garrards rumble.....hmmmn let me see.
what was your actual point mr turntable guru?

As usual daryl, you won't let facts get in the way of a cheap insult. I've not made reference to anything that I own, either directly or obliquely (and it was not my intention to do so); no system is perfect and there is always room for improvement (including belt drive, AC motor, DC motor, direct drive, air-bearing etc.).

Daryl, don't be ridiculous - there is no 'dissing' of turntables taking place - if you have something worthwhile to add beyond stating that rumble is a myth (not that you have provided any of the evidence, you are so proud of, to support such a bold claim), they make it and keep the personal slurs and agenda driven insults to yourself.

For what it's worth, I think Biggus-Dickkus has summarised things well in post #55 - no doubt my experience is based on decks that have not been optimally restored/aligned.

my name is also spelt D A R R Y L.
what do mean let facts get in the way of a cheap insult?
you really do have a chip on your shoulder.
just stop dissing other peoples choices all the time , you just can't resist it!

Here she comes.........

The Velvet Underground track - or the one by Nirvana? I prefer the Velvet Underground if one has a choice. I hope that this isn't interpreted as my 'dissing' other bands, or lead singers who are unfortunately dead and unable to defend their reputation.

On second thought's, I am reminded of the Undertones track 'Wednesday Week' - oh no, I see the headlines now 'YNWOAN dismisses all American music as crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

garrards rumble - hi fi myth number #18
as PsB states - Post #41

Post #41.

conviently being misqouted by ynwoan who said in post #40

were he told patrick he thought garrards rumbled.......

and i replied with #41

which does not say i believe rumble to be a myth does it.....

try harder to cover up your endless criticism of other peoples gear ynwoan.

Coupling the motor to the platter which is the case with an idler drive must pass vibration onto the platter resulting in some type of alteration of the waveform in the groove. I would think a massive motor would have a tendency to vibrate more.

What about the AC that drive the motor in an idler deck? Could it not benefit from a better power supply? I know Mick Parry has an aftermarket supply for his idler driven deck? Is there not room for improvement in the speed control of the motor?

ynwoan - you are slightly aware of your own self importance though - writing in that style and maybe you should try a more autobiographical one.

Whatever..........I'm not sure why I ever removed you from my 'ignore' list daryl (now resolved - 'genuine nice guy', one of the more obviously ironic of signatures).

If rumble were not present there would be no need to address it with different plinth designs. Other drive systems are inherently quieter, but that does not mean that those methods of driving the platter are without issues/compromises of their own. For some (many). the strengths of the Garrard system outweigh the negatives - such is the nature of personal choice. If you are one of those people who feel that the Garrard is the finest turntable there is, then fine, be happy; however, I am entitled to believe otherwise (although I didn't say it was a bad deck - I actually think it is rather a good one).

Motor unit + plinth = turntable.

You cannot just say that Garrards rumble as the plinth system is integral to the result.

You wouldn't assess a Linn by discarding the plinth and feet and plonking the thin metal top plate onto four egg cups with the motor sitting in a tobacco tin.

ynwoan - you are slightly aware of your own self importance though - writing in that style and maybe you should try a more autobiographical one.
I thought it was a fairly interesting and civilized thread until roughly around post 44. Many quality contributions from Robert and many others. Went a bit downhill for a while after that.

advertisement

Back