advertisement

HiFi World Magazine Online Price

Shuggie

Trade: Ammonite Audio
I subscribe to both Stereophile and the Absolute Sound magazines, through Apple, because they are a good read and online subscriptions are both very cheap, by any standard, let alone compared to print editions.

Very occasionally I want to buy an issue of HiFi World magazine, and since I can’t go out and buy it at the moment, I was pleased to find it in the Apple app store. Not so pleased to see single online issues priced at £4.99 compared to £4.50 for the paper edition! Not an enticing proposition.

Do HiFi World actually want to remain in business, I wonder?

Hi Hugo,

That does seem odd - is there some sort of premium added for availability through the Apple store?

My buying habits are similar, subscription to Stereophile, and I pick up World occasionally.
Not a patch on the old days sadly, loved that mag during the WAD days.

A year’s subscription to HiFi World via Apple is £35.99! Whatever cut that Apple take on transactions, it is surely a fraction of what WH Smith charge magazine publishers, even before we consider the actual cost of printing physical editions.

I agree - HFW is not a patch on what it used to be and the design, layout etc is at best ‘homely’. If Noel does not want to embrace the digital future, as the US mags have done, then I feel it will be curtains for him.

Is VAT a factor. Paper books have no VAT but when I buy a book on Kindle VAT is part of the price .

Isn't there a 3-month option for about £8? I've used that in the past. I find most mags a bit dull these days - I prefer Stereophile out of all of them, but still don't bother with many of the equipment reviews. Probably because half the stuff they review costs stupid money. Some decent articles though - and for less that £1 per mag it keeps me in the loop.

Isn't there a 3-month option for about £8? I've used that in the past. I find most mags a bit dull these days - I prefer Stereophile out of all of them, but still don't bother with many of the equipment reviews. Probably because half the stuff they review costs stupid money. Some decent articles though - and for less that £1 per mag it keeps me in the loop.
It’s a fun mag and an easy read. I prefer Hi Fi News but stopped subscribing some time ago.

I subscribe to both Stereophile and the Absolute Sound...

What’s the Absolute Sound like these days as I’m pondering a subscription (I already have a Stereophile one)?

I’m afraid I’ve little time for HiFi World and don’t rate it - though admittedly a long time since I looked at a copy.

What’s the Absolute Sound like these days as I’m pondering a subscription (I already have a Stereophile one)?

I’m afraid I’ve little time for HiFi World and don’t rate it - though admittedly a long time since I looked at a copy.

To be honest I prefer Stereophile, which has the best content and does at least carry what to me like quite relevant measurements to complement the subjective reviews (as of course does HFN but I suspect JA actually listens to the equipment that he measures). I enjoy reading Herb Reichert and Michael Fremer is fun as long as you understand where he’s coming from. It’s such a shame that we’ve lost Art Dudley since his columns alone justified my subscription. But, Absolute Sound is cheap so I carry on with the online sub but if I were you I’d start a free trial to get a taste of the magazine.

I’m afraid I’ve little time for HiFi World and don’t rate it - though admittedly a long time since I looked at a copy.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, was an okay mag when David Price was in the editorial chair, but little to recommend it now.

I like HFW for the equipment reviews that actually measure the item and frequently give veiled criticism, you can see the subtle hints.
I ignore the cable reviews, always totally wonderful and a waste of paper. Have you ever seen a negative cable review?

I'm afraid I find magazines today a complete turn off, and more than a little vulgar in many cases.
Page after page of ridiculously over-engineered bling.
Don't get me wrong, over-engineering has its place but today it tends to be used as an excuse to charge crazy money. I find most high-end turntables and valve amplifiers in 2020 disgustingly vulgar.

Have to agree Rob.

Although, calling any of it 'over-engineered' is almost a compliment, when all that appears to be being built is a bling manufacturer to lifestyle magazine feedback loop in the space, rhythm, and timing continuum.

With CV I thought I would do my bit for the mags by taking out a subscription, something I have done without for a couple of years.

My last sub. was with HiFi+, but I prefer to have more articles around the subject, not just reviews & subjective opinions. And I like reviews that discuss the equipment in terms of music they are playing through the equipment, which HiFi+ rarely does.

I was using the HFW website to find out some information on a digital subscription, which I used to have a number of years ago when DP was in the chair.
It was less than straightforward so I dropped NK an email, he failed to come back to me.

I bought a sub. from HiFi News, for a more reasonable price.

I use Zinio app on IPad.Some good value subscriptions. My friend also bought me a WHF subscription which I thought was very nice of him. Don’t really take the reviews seriously but a good way o& surveying trends and new kit.

If anyone fancies something different in these often boring times, I just got a 3 month online trial of The Absolute Sound for $0.99.
Something to read eh...
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/
The trial is on their scrolling banner at the top of the page, takes you to a form to fill out and Robert's your parent's brother!

I was using the HFW website to find out some information on a digital subscription, which I used to have a number of years ago when DP was in the chair.
It was less than straightforward so I dropped NK an email, he failed to come back to me.
Which raises a point, I have paper copies from 30 years ago that I do glance at from time to time.
Online copies often become unavailable due to the supplier vanishing

advertisement

Back