advertisement

HiFi tuning Foo-uses

Of all the various labels I have in classical (but not ECM; was is that?), DGG somehow invariably sounds matter-of-fact. Can't question the s.q., I s'pose, but they seem to lack emotional dynamics somehow. Germanic, possibly? Many Karajan discs are like this.

A fuse is specifically designed to be the weakest point ... if anything is likely to affect the sound of the power supplied to a piece of kit ...

Nic P

You need to define 'weakest point' in the context of an audio system.

There are only two considerations:

Does the fuse materially alter the mains impedance when passing current within its own rating?

Answer = no

Can the fuse pass sufficient current enabling the connected equipment to function as intended?

Answer = yes except for the instance of a fault condition.

Thats it.

Unfortunately it won't prevent us hitting page 10 by the weekend.

Of all the various labels I have in classical (but not ECM; was is that?), DGG somehow invariably sounds matter-of-fact. Can't question the s.q., I s'pose, but they seem to lack emotional dynamics somehow. Germanic, possibly? Many Karajan discs are like this.

Mike,

ECM for sure:

http://ecmrecords.com/Startseite/startseite.php

Agreed regarding many if not most of the DGG CDs I've bought but many of their remastered disks are quite good despite aging and/or damaged tapes.

regards,

dave

Hmm, I always thought that term 'British sound' exist because of extra fuse in a power cord. But if fuse does not make a difference to sound, why do they call it British?

With British mains plugs its very easy to make 1 fuseless plug out of 2. All you need to do is swap the Live pin for the neutral pin from another which bypasses the fuse....

Hmm, I always thought that term 'British sound' exist because of extra fuse in a power cord. But if fuse does not make a difference to sound, why do they call it British?

The term "British Sound" as we use it in America describes a commonality in sound between the region's most popular speakers originating when the BBC designs were developed if not earlier IIRC. (nothing to do with fuses in other words)

We coined similar phrases with our own West Coast (JBL, Altec) and East Coast sounds (AR, KLH).

Several times, when moving mics and mixing desks.

You really have little idea of the level of contempt with which the hi-fi crowd is viewed by the professionals.

And you can hardly blame them. Is it any wonder that SQ suffers, when the people who actually KNOW about sound recording and reproduction look at the target audience most concerned about sound reproduction & see a bunch of self-deluding fruitbats?

Chris

With British mains plugs its very easy to make 1 fuseless plug out of 2. All you need to do is swap the Live pin for the neutral pin from another which bypasses the fuse....

Yes I tried that and it made a considerable difference. There was more bass (not perceived in a dream or told there was by a someone else, there was more bass). I guess that the small filament in the fuse is choking the sound. I am not saying you should try this or it's right but the fuse is changing the sound.

A few years ago I heard the effect of blank fuses on an all-Olive Naim system. There was an effect. It was a deleterious one involving overemphasis on the leading edge. You could refer to it as over-egging the pudding.

My system has dedicated mains, CU and earth à la RKR but I use 13 amp fused plugs, a fused mains block and all the correct internal fuses are still in place. In fact when I recently had the power amp upgraded a second case fuse was added to the HT.

These fuses not only do not bottleneck the benefit of dedicated mains but they keep my house safer.

A few years ago I heard the effect of blank fuses on an all-Olive Naim system. There was an effect. It was a deleterious one involving overemphasis on the leading edge. You could refer to it as over-egging the pudding

I suggest there was an imbalance in your system or with the amp's at that stage, then, Steven. Eight or so years ago when RKR, a friend and I,all with Olive Naim and all using plugs and fuses at that juncture, heard this substitution of fuses many times. There was no question of a negative outcome. In fact, there was no turning back.

My system has dedicated mains, CU and earth à la RKR but I use 13 amp fused plugs, a fused mains block .......

To my mind, you're spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar (in a convoluted sense). If you've got indfividual RCBOs, why bugger it up with fused plugs? Britain used to use the 15 amp. system with no fuses; France, among others, don't use fuses in THEIR radials. Baffles me !:confused:

The clue is that word 'radial'. 15A were Radial, fused circuits.

The UK ring main is designed to pass 32A continuously per ring (and a class B breaker 64A for> 10secs before opening) - when attached equipment flexes definitely are not. Hence local fusing.

To be fair my hi-fi mains is not on the ring.

I sincerely hope for you and your family that it has an appropriate residual current circuit breaker to protect both the wiring and people.
Where I live all circuits are radial and I have 84 screws to tighten when I go over the "fuse box" (no fuses actually just live and neutral circuit breakers).

[...]France, among others, don't use fuses in THEIR radials. Baffles me !:confused:

My French flat was professionally overhauled elecricty wise when I bought it 12 years ago. I had taken the trouble to read the PROMOTELEC safety norms for homes and schools. Both clearly required radial circuits with each one covered by a residual current and an over current protection device. The stricter norm for schools demanded greater indiviualization of the devices per circuit.

The up shot of all this - once you get beyond the electricity supplier's 500mA slowblow residual current device all the radials are protected by 300mA (dry area lighting) or 30mA (all other circuits) residual current circuit breakers (to protect my family and me from electocution) as well as over-current circuit breakers (cutting both live nad neutral lines) to prevent wiring overheating in fault conditions.
This is why we do not need fuses in schuko plugs - they or their evuivalent are all in the consumer unit - for a three bedroom flat we have five residual current CBs and fifteen over current CBS

So why have the major studios never done this?

None of the music you listen to(?) was recorded on equipment run without fuses...

Your assumption is that studios are trying to achieve the ultimate playback quality and would do everything they could to achieve that. I don't believe that's a correct assumption, many productions are mastered in the nearfield on those little white-coned Yamaha speakers spaced about 4 feet apart :D

advertisement

Back