advertisement

HiFi tuning Foo-uses

I have always thought that quality suffered when the audio industry changed over from proper 1.25 inch fuses to nasty metric 20mm types.

Why do they rarely make outstanding recordings when you examine the bulk of their output? More importantly, why does chocolate taste better than aardvark? What would happen if the first thousand miles of cables were replaced with something better?

Er absolutely nothing?

And...

Oh please, I thought you listened to classical music?

Poor classical recordings are quite few and far between.

Major studios put radio friendly mixes with heavy handed overuse of autotuners far, far ahead of raw SQ. And besides who would take a $3 million (or whatever) studio and with many kilometers of wiring, a great number of very expensive electronics and then deliberately defeat one of the few protective mechanisms out there. Sort of like removing a burglar alarm to save electricity....the gains are very few compared to the potential benefits.

Er absolutely nothing?

And...

Oh please, I thought you listened to classical music?

Poor classical recordings are quite few and far between.

Yeah but how much better might it be if someone improved those first thousand miles of cables? Answer: we'll never know

Why do they rarely make outstanding recordings when you examine the bulk of their output? More importantly, why does chocolate taste better than aardvark? What would happen if the first thousand miles of cables were replaced with something better?

I love a good wind-up merchant.

I have never listened to fuse changes so have no personal experience. However a very talented electronic engineer I recruited told me that the connection from 13 amp socket to equipment (he wasn't talking about hi-fi) was incredibly shitty and the cause of many problems.

Nic P

Yeah but how much better might it be if someone improved those first thousand miles of cables? Answer: we'll never know

Just repeating the same old tosh ain't gonna make it right you know...

Have you ever talked with people that worked with E.M.I and Decca?

I have...

Major studios put radio friendly mixes with heavy handed overuse of autotuners far, far ahead of raw SQ. And besides who would take a $3 million (or whatever) studio and with many kilometers of wiring, a great number of very expensive electronics and then deliberately defeat one of the few protective mechanisms out there. Sort of like removing a burglar alarm to save electricity....the gains are very few compared to the potential benefits.

For pop music, try listening to some classical?

I have never listened to fuse changes so have no personal experience. However a very talented electronic engineer I recruited told me that the connection from 13 amp socket to equipment (he wasn't talking about hi-fi) was incredibly shitty and the cause of many problems.

Nic P

Such as?

Just repeating the same old tosh ain't gonna make it right you know...

I could have sworn I asked a question (not made a toshy statement.)

Have you ever talked with people that worked with E.M.I and Decca?

I have...

No, I've never spoken with them. Why, have they replaced all of the cable and found it made no difference?

I could have sworn I asked a question (not made a toshy statement.)

No, I've never spoken with them. Why, have they replaced all of the cable and found it made no difference?

Several times, when moving mics and mixing desks.

You really have little idea of the level of contempt with which the hi-fi crowd is viewed by the professionals.

Gosh! I wish that were my experience, Basil.

Compared to pop and rock recording?

I suggest you check out some of ECM classical out put, it is truly state of the art...

Hell, it was Dave that first drew my attention to it!

At least I think it was this Dave, like Joes, they are numerous...

Several times, when moving mics and mixing desks.

You really have little idea of the level of contempt with which the hi-fi crowd is viewed by the professionals.

Perhaps the "professionals" should focus more on improving their output and not audiophiles judging from the bulk of it?

Compared to pop and rock recording?

I suggest you check out some of ECM classical out put, it is truly state of the art...

Hell, it was Dave that first drew my attention to it!

At least I think it was this Dave, like Joes, they are numerous...

yep, ole plywood king {fixed now} and ecm fan here.

maybe the bulk of the professionals should attend ecm training sessions;-)

Thing is, the vast majority of the classical CD's I own from EMI, Philips, Decca, DGG etc. Are equal in sound quality to those ECM discs... Yes I have a few dogs.

And you want sublime pop, check out Natalie Merchants' stuff...

I've found a few EMI and even DGs which are up to ECM standards but not alot. (This isn't to say the bulk or even many aren't damn good - just not quite up there with the very best from ECM.)

I know we'll find many sublime examples in pop if we look -it's just not the case for the bulk of pop recordings or most any other genre.

all IMO of course

I've found a few EMI and DGs which are up to ECM standards but not alot. (This isn't to say the bulk or even many aren't damn good - just not quite up there with the very best from ECM.)

I know we'll find many sublime examples in pop if we look -it's just not the case for the bulk of pop recordings or most any of the genre IMO.

Another suggestion, try Mitsuko Uchidas' latest Beethoven Sonatas on Philips, they are simply the best piano recordings I've heard.

Not quite as impressed with her interpretation though...

For pop music, try listening to some classical?

Such as?

RF interference and instability in the power supply were two I remember, but he reeled off a list of issues which as I am not an expert I cannot remember. I have a suspicion that some posters here are even less knowledgeable than me but have no problem telling us all that fuses cannot possibly affect sound quality

Nic P

Another suggestion, try Mitsuko Uchidas' latest Beethoven Sonatas on Philips, they are simply the best piano recordings I've heard.

Not quite as impressed with her interpretation though...

thanks! it will go on my list when I get home tonight

advertisement

Back