advertisement

Hifi that gives you "the fizz"

Fizz, in terms of looks it has to be the Kalista Dreamplay. I would certainly agree with the Simon Yorke offering mentioned earlier.

In your opinion the Quad 33 sounds awful.
Don’t make all-embracing statements...
Yes sir :p. Do you come riding in your high charger every time someone expresses an opinion? It could get rather boring if you do!

All my opinions are just that, opinions, just the same as most people here. It would be a bit tedious if every post had to start with IMO although I suppose we could have some variety with the occasional IMHO ;). Although in the case of my 33 pre, which I seem to recall I was talking about, it does sound awful!

I've always liked the look of McIntosh amplifiers (never heard them, though);
bqycVnhh.jpg

Just bought an MA5300, its the baby in their line-up

Tastes...

Like big and awful American cars of yore, those Big Macs are for me the quintessence of bad taste.
Especially the newer ones.
You might add anything Audio-Research.
But of course it has nothing to do with their intrinsic hi-fi quality.

How about this? People who visit always want one. Always.

20171128_5F00_152705.jpg

Yes sir :p. Do you come riding in your high charger every time someone expresses an opinion? It could get rather boring if you do!

All my opinions are just that, opinions, just the same as most people here. It would be a bit tedious if every post had to start with IMO although I suppose we could have some variety with the occasional IMHO ;). Although in the case of my 33 pre, which I seem to recall I was talking about, it does sound awful!

I suggest you start a thread on the sound quality of the 33 and then we’ll get a true measure of what
people think about its sound quality.
Incidentally IMHO is often used on PFM

And now for something completely different-
Metaxas and Sins amplifier.
Kostas Metaxas has always been a bit "out there".
images

14289165530_b389d5889d_c.jpg

Haters gonna hate, obs, but the Museum Of Modern Art and myself consider it a bit of a design classic!

PS If properly serviced (and the vast majority of surviving units aren’t) its not a bad little preamp and tuner. Sure there’s plenty better out there, but viewed in a full historical system context e.g. with a 303 driving original ESLs, 15” Tannoys, Ditton 66 etc you have to spend a shed-load to beat the whole thing with modern kit. Its plenty good enough to impress with the best speakers of its era, which are way better than most modern ones!

I agree with you on this, but I think the look is completely undermined by the wooden sleeve!

I am going to take out the innards of my quad 33 and use the case to house a rasberry pi streamer -- this weekend!

Tastes...

Like big and awful American cars of yore, those Big Macs are for me the quintessence of bad taste.

20171128_5F00_152705.jpg

That B&O really is quite something in terms of design. I think it has stood the test of time and still looks special.

I really like the look of classic 1960s McIntosh, e.g. C22 preamp & 275 power amp. I’d very happily own that combo.

I agree with you on this, but I think the look is completely undermined by the wooden sleeve!

I know what you mean, the 33 and FM3 are certainly cleaner and more ‘1960s modern’ when free-standing. Really I just have the wood case for the sake of completeness, the 33 and FM3 are currently just sitting stacked as an ornament, (though the 33 is fully restored and works as it should).

That B&O really is quite something in terms of design. I think it has stood the test of time and still looks special.

I had a cassette tape recording made for me on a B&O deck and mitigating for a great blank used, good source material and other high quality ancillaries the result was excellent.

I suggest you start a thread on the sound quality of the 33 and then we’ll get a true measure of what
people think about its sound quality.
Incidentally IMHO is often used on PFM
Thanks for the suggestion, so much nicer than an order! I’ll leave the 33 thread creation to you as it seems closer to your heart. Being so old I expect it could become about how performance deteriorates over the years as much as its intrinsic quality when new. Anyway I still like the look of the thing and still use a 303 from time to time, that, still sounding fine to me.

Sorry, forgot IMO!

14289165530_b389d5889d_c.jpg

Haters gonna hate, obs, but the Museum Of Modern Art and myself consider it a bit of a design classic!

PS If properly serviced (and the vast majority of surviving units aren’t) its not a bad little preamp and tuner. Sure there’s plenty better out there, but viewed in a full historical system context e.g. with a 303 driving original ESLs, 15” Tannoys, Ditton 66 etc you have to spend a shed-load to beat the whole thing with modern kit. Its plenty good enough to impress with the best speakers of its era, which are way better than most modern ones!
That does look rather lovely. I like a bit of wood around my equipment.

You are doubtless right about them being properly serviced. They were also very much of the vinyl age with filters to compensate for all that surface noise not to mention tape hiss - Britten’s own recording of his War Requiem comes to mind. Of course, as we get older our ears develop their own hiss filters!

Thanks for the suggestion, so much nicer than an order! I’ll leave the 33 thread creation to you as it seems closer to your heart. Being so old I expect it could become about how performance deteriorates over the years as much as its intrinsic quality when new. Anyway I still like the look of the thing and still use a 303 from time to time, that, still sounding fine to me.

Sorry, forgot IMO!

Thanks.
I really didn’t mean to cause offence.

I really like the look of classic 1960s McIntosh, e.g. C22 preamp & 275 power amp. I’d very happily own that combo.

Oh yes, those look nice. A 225 or a 240 would be quite desirable too. But they have kept their value, and are really expensive even today.

20171128_5F00_152705.jpg

I'm with you on the older B&O. I still have a Beosystem 4500 which was also by Jacob Jensen. Some of my favorite HiFi industrial design.

I think it's a shame that since B&O have moved to almost all active speakers, they no longer have components that you interact with by touch (CD, TT, amp). Those were the best parts IMO.

Tastes...

20171128_5F00_152705.jpg

That looks insane!

B&O?:)

advertisement

Back