advertisement

Hifi that gives you "the fizz"

Fizz? Fizz in the music is what does it for me, and I'm a bit conflicted. The main system (same front end as the other: Primare Pre32 with mm30 streaming/dac board) runs ESL63s, and it's wonderfully transparent, and great with the baroque music that makes up most of my listening, but today I listened to RVW's Sea Symphony, and I felt as though I was a long way back in the concert hall. The sound was very clean, but it didn't quite grab me. The front room system has ATC active SCM20 towers, and it's a lot less transparent, but has great slam and fizz, especially when the wick is turned up. I tried to live with it as my main system, but couldn't. On the other hand ...
First world problems.

Olive Naim and a nice LP12 are pleasing to my eye and a timeless design IMO. ATC SCM 50s look just right to me too, plus big Harbeths and Spendors.

Meridian, Lecson, old clamshell Rega and P9s. Revox R2Rs and other bits, Nakamichi tape decks and Koetsu cartridges all come to mind. Quad 34, the tuner and 306 would make a nice 2nd system I reckon.

In the end though, big amps driving big speakers is proper fizzy.

I listen mostly in the dark, so really shouldn’t care about how the hi-fi looks....but I do. Don’t care for blingy designs, and like speakers that look, well, more traditional.

Have had a Naim setup since 2007, and have switched back and forth between ESL57s and Ovator 400s since 2010. I like that the 400’s BMR driver covers such a wide range of frequencies. To my ears, and in my small listening room (10.5’ x 12.5’), they sound very clear and coherent. At some point, I may look at other (mostly) single driver designs. The Manger P1 has had a number of good reviews recently, so am hoping they will be at a US audio show next year. If any fishes have heard the P1s, would love to know what you think!

So yes, I guess single driver-ish speakers give me “the fizz”.

Olive Naim, valves glowing, and vintage hifi in general really. Love discovering a piece that i'd not heard of before, which normally means an amp from a company that didn't last long in the 80's/90's, but is a really lovely piece of kit.

Olive Naim and a nice LP12 are pleasing to my eye and a timeless design IMO. ATC SCM 50s look just right to me too, plus big Harbeths and Spendors.

Meridian, Lecson, old clamshell Rega and P9s. Revox R2Rs and other bits, Nakamichi tape decks and Koetsu cartridges all come to mind. Quad 34, the tuner and 306 would make a nice 2nd system I reckon.

In the end though, big amps driving big speakers is proper fizzy.
I quite liked the look of Meridian 500 (and 600) series, I actually have some 500 series home theatre kit but it’s relegated to 2 channel use in my conservatory now.

Linn LK has always looked superb to me, perfectly proportioned (almost identical dimensions to Meridian 500 series), excellent build quality and finish, just all round elegant.

... best served with a horn in a blue baffle.
StudioMon4429_002-front_dv1605x1605.png

Those look familiar to me for some reason...

Not sure I am fully on top of the concept of the fizz but I like high quality sound that is heard but not seen. Speakers built into walls or cupboards, hardware in cupboards or possibly on bookshelves among the books, tablet as controller or possibly phone but less so a computer or TV which I would also wish to hide except when in use. I may have missed the point.
Or, like I have, isolate all the kit and software in an ante-room and only have the speakers and controller (a wee MacBook and remote for the pre by preference) in the listening room. Bit of a shame, as my Quad QSP and Acoustic signature Turntable are great pieces of industrial design.

Ickle speakers- my ProAc Tablette 10 get me all excited.:oops:

Actually a few tiny speakers get me all gooey.:)

Surprised nobody has mentioned the 1970s vintage Bang & Olufsen stuff. Still does it for me. I’d love to collect some, even just to look at.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the 1970s vintage Bang & Olufsen stuff. Still does it for me. I’d love to collect some, even just to look at.
80’s B&O for me, does look very cool. I was given a Beocenter 9000 and Beosystem 6500 along with Penta speakers a few years ago all in immaculate aesthetic condition but with various faults. It all looked amazing and attracted a lot of attention from visitors. I did get it all working properly and it didn’t sound too bad... sold easily!

advertisement

Back