advertisement

HiFi Shark

davidavdavid

davidavdavid
I do not see a lot of folks, if any, mentioning the site HiFi Shark www.hifishark.com It is very interesting to see international prices for product used and new across countries and geographies

Very interesting indeed.

Although I dont like the name, its actually a great site.

I just looked at a couple of searches and it brought up quite a few examples.

You can get a general idea of pricing but it does show links to items already sold which can be a bit frustrating.

Funny, came across Hifi Shark just now via google, and thought I'd give folks here a heads up. PFM [FS] stuff is listed there too. Noticed a few things with very tempting prices, but they're almost certainly scams.

It brings together many of the popular used hi-fi sites but you will need to ignore Craigslist entries,very obvious scams.

Has anyone ever purchased from Craigslist?

Found this recently also and it is a great resource. Certainly helps to source that unusual amp that unfortunately did not sell by the truckload. It is a decent price barometer also. Haven't googled the craigslist thing what is that or where is the site?

A friend inquired recently about focal speakers on one of the english ad sites but turned out to be a scam. Guy was in london supposedly but the speakers where conveniently in the isle of man. Once he asked to come and visit the mails dried up. At least on PFM and Wigwam there is generally a decent history built up and dodgy deals seem to be few and far between.

hifi shark is also rather telling about the price of gear across countries and geographies and just how much more/less expensive it can be depending upon location. this is taking currency exchange rates into account. just something to think about ...hmmmm

Indeed there may be bargains outside the UK. I found my Perreaux SX60M mono blocks in Holland at 200£ less than the ones in Denmark. That was a private sale, mind you.

I didn't know about HIFI Shark at the time, so I hunted around for hifi market placse on and off Fleabay and found the ones I bought listed on Marktplaatz.nl. Another nice place to look for s/h gear is audiomarkt.de.

Peter

I think TonyL being PFM owner has to contact them to have the PFM classified listings included in the search engine.

I know that Wigwam stuff shows on HiFi Shark, but I've not seen pfm or Art of Sound (or any other British forum come to that)

I've found it very useful for comparison prices and general availability for specific wanted items. With the Euro/£ exch. rate now so favourable, some of that higher end gear on the continent can look very appealing indeed. A few dealers show on there, but mainly German, I notice. Think I saw Emporiumshed on there too.

search 'funk firm' on hifishark.com and you'll see a PFM listing. i do think there's a bit of a delay between listing on for sale sites and appearance on hifishark.com.

Agreed, interesting site.
Made me wonder quite seriously about importing an Accuphase power amp from Japan, where they're so much cheaper, that they'd even make the cost of import duty not too painful.

It brings together many of the popular used hi-fi sites but you will need to ignore Craigslist entries,very obvious scams.

Has anyone ever purchased from Craigslist?

Nope. Enquired a few times. Usually results in a yes at any price, a request for where you are (to collect) and then a response with them being somewhere very far away, like Lands End, Plymouth, Leeds etc...

Shame - there's a stuff I'd love to buy, just don't think it exists.

advertisement

Back