advertisement

Hifi News Review of Naim Statement

John Channing

fruit box forever
Rather generously, there is a free PDF available here. I wouldn't say it is a great piece of journalism, but they thought it was rather good.

Only 90% for the price!!

I remember the first time we got the NAP500 in the shop, all 3 of us listening burst out laughing with joy at the same time- it was that good. I can understand the reaction of the reviewer here. I haven't heard the, somewhat cheeseily named, Statement but I do look forward to hearing it.

(how do you spell cheesily, cheeseily, cheesilly?)

Looking at the HFN cover, I wonder what they think of the Sansui amp?

Thanks. A good read. Despite everything it only got 90% lol.
As a naim owner I don't like fact I have to leave it on all the time. Interesting to read they have a standby on this consuming only 1w.

As a naim owner I don't like fact I have to leave it on all the time. Interesting to read they have a standby on this consuming only 1w.

LOL is that what the SALESMAN told you :rolleyes::D, best start saving up for the service LOL

alan

I could take a guess at the statement Salisbury are trying to make but I would no doubt offend some people.

The % score does take price into account, so to get 90% at that price it must be pretty stunning.

Apparently they've sold 100.

£10m, probably the vast majority overseas..

:D

Yes, I expect so - but then the market for amps at this power level and price always has been abroad.

The % score does take price into account, so to get 90% at that price it must be pretty stunning.

... though pretty much every single product review in HFN scores between 80% and 90%. It's a pretty silly scale they use, hardly discriminatory; even worse that the Colloms one in HiFi Critic which is hugely discriminatory in a range of 5 to 450.

Judging from the measurements they've started using proper modern engineering practices... a good thing! I can't see why it needs to be any more than about £20K though...

NAP300 is very good so I assume the S1 is something rather special.
Would love to hear a set.

Just imagine what they would sound with a pair of the PFM top speakers of all time :)

Judging from the measurements they've started using proper modern engineering practices... a good thing! I can't see why it needs to be any more than about £20K though...

One of the disappointing things about the review is that there is very little description of how this amplifier is actually different to, say, the NAP500 other than that it is more powerful. If I was spending that sort of money, I would want to know a bit more about what was in the case and whether from an engineering perspective they had done anything special to justify the price.

advertisement

Back