Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi Res - how do you know..

Discussion in 'audio' started by MBK, Apr 9, 2021.

1. MBK

MBK New Member

How do you know if an album which is for sale to download in 24bit/96khz was originally produced in that resolution? I ask because there are albums old and new which can be bought in hi res but if the original recording was 16/44 for example, then what's the point and how do you stopped getting ripped off? Is there an easy way to find out?

2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Hear any difference?

Mr Pig likes this.
  3. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

There are a lot of 'scams' out there. CD masters being transferred directly to vinyl, compressed 'rubbish' being sold on CD, never mind high res issues of the same masters. I think authoritative reviews are your friend here.

Steve356 likes this.
  4. Alastair

Alastair pfm Member

Hi Fi news & Music reviews tend to have some info on the recordings and if they are genuine or not. But that’s obviously a tiny subset as to what is out there.

Sadly I think that if you are not in the industry (say producing the content with regard to master files) then it’s a case of trusting what’s out there as it’s labelled...

RoA likes this.
  5. narabdela

narabdela who?

I do, occasionally...but then I realise that I'm concentrating on the sound rather than the music.

Does that make sense?

the caretaker likes this.
  6. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Yeah, if you can't tell from listening to it, does it matter?

Nagraboy likes this.
  7. MBK

MBK New Member

It does if you pay extra!

Zombie, Steve356 and the caretaker like this.
  8. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

You've nailed it: what's the point?

16/44 has been the standard for so long I'd guess that the overwhelming majority of digital masters are in that format. If you think record companies are going to spend the money going back to original analogue masters (where they're even available) to reformat for a tiny percentage of the market, you are a very trusting person.

Millennium and the caretaker like this.
  9. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

Spectrum analyser and determine if there is any content above 22kHz.
    Keith

the caretaker and PhilDick like this.
  10. PhilDick

PhilDick pfm Member

If it was an analogue recording it would be a total waste of file space to re-sample in Hi-Res anyway. 16/44 covers anything a analogue tape recorder can put out.

nostromo likes this.
  11. the caretaker

the caretaker pfm Member

Perfect sense..

narabdela likes this.
  12. the caretaker

the caretaker pfm Member

My cds sound much better than my qobuz hi res..but I do have a decent cd player

13. kabayiri

kabayiri pfm Member

I employ some trained bats**, who flap their little wings when they hear hi-res source.

(** 2 bats obviously, this being stereo)

SteveS1, Millennium, Steve356 and 4 others like this.
  14. Phil Bishop

Phil Bishop pfm Member

I think a lot of stuff put out as Hi Res is stuff that sounded great in the first place, things like Steely Dan's "Gaucho", for example. So you listen to it and think "wow, that sounds great" - well, of course it does, it always did.

Woodface, Zombie, CTank and 2 others like this.
  15. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

It makes no odds, if the redbook filter is decent in the first place. I have some exquisite dxd hires files, they sound no worse downsized to redbook.

SteveS1 and nostromo like this.
  16. vinylslug

vinylslug pfm Member

A good master will usually sound good no matter the resolution. I'm sometimes shocked how good a CD can sound when it's a good recording, well mastered.

17. kabayiri

kabayiri pfm Member

Maybe not hi-res, but I see that some audiophiles are trialling PRaT detectors. See trial run below :)

18. Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

The bird that doesn't smoke crack is not very impressed

kabayiri likes this.
  19. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

CD sounds really good, really don’t need it any better in reality. The quality of the original recording is far more important. Steely Dan sounds equally good on LP & CD to my ears.

Steve356 likes this.
  20. Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

CDs with analog recordings even used have tape hiss, but newer version of the same recording is hiss-free and probably also more compressed. AAD to ADD?