advertisement

Hi quality single conductor power cable insulated wire - Where from?

Precisely. The old "last magic metre" delusion.

Do not believe your senses!

That reminds me of the cheap (but fine) wine in a posh bottle experiment. Or the way colours can alter our perception of taste.
I say believe and dont be afraid to believe. have an open mind. Listen not look just listen to the music, is it better or worse or no different. Trust what you are hearing and make a judgement from this. If you saw a car coming would you step out into the road, NO. Call something as you experience it!

I say believe and dont be afraid to believe. have an open mind. Listen not look just listen to the music, is it better or worse or no different. Trust what you are hearing and make a judgement from this. If you saw a car coming would you step out into the road, NO. Call something as you experience it!
That captures the whole argument of the need for double blind tests and that without such a test environment the listener is always prejudice when knowing when the change took place and/or what the change was - it is just being human. :)

To err is human.

Just on Peter Belt, please read this article http://theadvancedaudiophile.ga/?p=1010

Placing paperclips on envelops to improve SQ. I just marvel at the inspiration that Peter brought out in people.
Forget about paper clips or gold, silver or diamond. Its not about that for me, its not about any expectation of any sort. I listen objectively to the sound, does it sound better or not or just different. Forget about the salesman and just trust your own hearing, its not difficult to do.

And before you spend thousands on that new preamp, consider how many ne5532/4 opamps the audio signal has already been through.
Studio-Mixing-Desk.jpg
Will it improve the SQ though or not thats what im interested in, the experience of sound, whether it costs a few pence or pounds or nothing at all.

You have a point of course.
Just don’t mix your senses, because they’ll have you on every time.

I have 12awg solid silver power cables with silver mk and wattgate plugs. They make no difference. Save your money.

Indeed.

Close tour eyes and learn the truth, or something like that. Also our own psychological condition makes us perceive things very differently one day to another. One day your hi-fi sounds amazing, the next it's disappointing.We all have experienced that.

What has changed? Nowt.

Do you really think an old piece of copper - or silver - will affect your system? Probably not, but it will affect your mental preparation before listening and condition you into hearing things that simply don't exist. We are funny animals.
My hhi fi nener sounds disappointing. In fact i''m constantly suprised by how good it really sounds and i dont think it can get much better. The music just flloats from te wall.

I have 12awg solid silver power cables with silver mk and wattgate plugs. They make no difference. Save your money.
I sold my two wattate iec plugs and hIego pure copper iecs
I sold my two wattate iec plugs and replaced wit furutec and iego. Thhe furutec didnt show much improvent but the iego copper iec did. The wattgate iec i had were bronze conductor on the inside, tne iego are pure red copper on inside.

Bronze is as far from copper on the IEC scale as silver is from copper. It makes no difference, it's like claiming you can patch a reservoir with a fag paper, it makes no difference

My whole experience in hi fi tells me completely different. An example i had my jumper cables naca5 replaced wit pro airlocked ones te same naca5 cable and the sound definately improved, not a massive one but the bass and instrrument seperation was definately better. I also had my naca5 proffessionally soldered with the sa8 amp plugs and wow wat an improvement you wouldnt believe just a bit of the right solder with the right nickel

I beg to differ as ive had many improvements in SQ over the years. and some better than others. From gettin naca5 jumpers airlocked where the bass and instrument seperation showed an improvement, to buying an olsen pdu were there was a distinct improvement over the previous pdu. Getting the naca5 cable proffessionally soldered with sa8 amp plugs was a wow moment though. Just a bit of nickel with the correct solder and properly done will show the difference between what can be acieved with the right attention to detail in hi fi. Read about the many wow moments and the many previously deep sceptics been converted regarding the so many methhods of upraded sq be it a cable, a dac, a power plug, a different connector. spike pucks, isolation. Theres so many ways to improve sq and they dont have to cost much either.

My hifi sounds better after I unplug and replug it probably the same effect you heard after having you plugs resoldered.

Pete

I don't know, my Val Doonican tracks sound better with a pint of Guinness, the lighting set to RGB and my gold cup for blarney kissing at the end of the LED strip.
It's like there's a real goat in here with me.

Or maybe it WAS the power cable I swapped out....who knows...

I wonder why you guys believe that differently labelled CDs bear different music? what's the diff? don't tell me it's those super-tiny bumps in the nano-mm thin silver layer in the disc... or you've just fallen prey to, and fooled by, the different labelling by your senses...?
so much about claiming to discern no difference in a cable that you all use, and that are all different regardless of or, rather, due to, their dedicated place of use, and that you all chose to use for a different purpose in spite making no difference.
or do they...?

Forget about paper clips or gold, silver or diamond. Its not about that for me, its not about any expectation of any sort. I listen objectively to the sound, does it sound better or not or just different. Forget about the salesman and just trust your own hearing, its not difficult to do.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/72587/mcgurk-effect-or-brains-are-weird

Oh, and more generally, on "trust your senses": http://www.illusions.org/

The way professionals do listening tests: https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BS.1116-3-201502-I/en

Can some of you knowledeable guys here point me in tte direction to purchase hi quality single insulated conductor wire such as 8N copper multistrand such as tne Acrolink or Oyaide ssc virgin copper wire. Or maybe multistranded SPC such as used in the DH labs red sonic power cable. Basically i want to make my own power cable from scratch with the best available materials withhout payingg the exaggerated prices some makers are asking. Ive looked in te suppliers section but wit no luck as yet and dont know if you can actuaslly purchase it Thanks for your help!
If you really want to experiment with building mains leads OK but make sure you know how to do that safely.

Screening: Belden 19364 cable e.g. here is screened as per some of your examples of "hi quality". I am not sure what screening may do in practice. Consider the studio in which your source music is produced and whether they will have such "hi quality" mains cables at the sort of cost you are trying to avoid. I rather doubt that would be economic. And there are plenty of on-line resources about engineering-led means to ensure mains-borne interference does not get coupled into the signal circuits in audio/video production studios.

Copper: I wouldn't expect to find better than 100% IACS copper in anything not specially produced (in small quantity and so high price, e.g. here). Your example of 8N Copper "hi quality" will at best have circa 3% better conductivity (103% IACS). Take a step back from looking just at a mains lead to looking at the entire power supply circuit and 3% better in just that small part fades into practical insignificance with respect to the entire series resistance.

advertisement

Back